6 months on.

BTW, it leaves out a few other ways:

That's a quote from somewhere Analyst - you should credit it!

BTW, it leaves out a few other ways:

4. Invent - create Intellectual Property & license it

- This is a business

5. Entertain - make people FEEL (happy/sad/afraid...which is less important)

This is a business

6. Match - put together buyers & sellers & take a share of deals

This is a business

7. Lend - Provide money to others & charge interest

This is a buisness

8. Rob - Unethical, illegal & usually immoral but feasible

This is one of the most successful business's in the world ie MAFIA

Anyone else got any more?

Re: BTW, it leaves out a few other ways:

Originally posted by Analyst

This is a business
This is a business
This is a business
This is a buisness
This is one of the most successful business's in the world ie MAFIA

No Analyst, you completely misunderstand :(

Think outside the square!

The real secret to earning wealth is to think differently, not tie yourself into knots with definitions. Broaden your opportunities, don't narrow them down.

Look for the doors to wealth along every street - don't turn away because they don't fit your definition of a door or try to change them into what you consider a door to be.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

9. Start a Religion - tax free status and lots of willing souls out there to give to you for elightement.

Peter

PS Isn't the Catholic Church the greatest holder on property in the world?

Re: krisvm

The 3 real ways to make money are:

1. Emu Farming
2. Platypus Farming
3. Ostrich Farming

:p

Originally posted by Analyst
Krisvm

There are only 3 ways to make money

1. Business
2. Shares
3. Property

Spend your time and master just one of these disciplines and you could be successful. Master all 3 and you will be wealthly.

This is got to be one of the best tips I have seen in awhile. Thank you for reminding us!!!! :)

Originally posted by AJK
This is a classic one, particularly of people in the 30’s. Confusing good income with financial independence. This is a classic trap for people in that age group. Because we live in the lucky country and we’re the most educated generation on the face of the planet. Most of us went to university and most of us had a trade. We’re all doing good, we’re all earning good money and we think that we’re wealthy. We think that $100,000 a year equates to wealth but it doesn’t. We must understand that income only equals lifestyle – Assets equals WEALTH. Consider you’re wealthy when you have a whole heap of assets and money is working for you.
:)

Originally posted by AJK

Please dont fall in this trap. This is one major reason why people fail financially. This is a classic one, particularly of people in the 30’s. Confusing good income with financial independence. This is a classic trap for people in that age group. Because we live in the lucky country and we’re the most educated generation on the face of the planet. Most of us went to university and most of us had a trade. We’re all doing good, we’re all earning good money and we think that we’re wealthy. We think that $100,000 a year equates to wealth but it doesn’t. We must understand that income only equals lifestyle – Assets equals WEALTH. Consider you’re wealthy when you have a whole heap of assets and money is working for you.

Hi AJK - it sounds as if we drink from the same water supply [and it's NOT that expensive bottled stuff] ; )

From my website at: http://www.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/invbasic.htm

1. Wealth versus Affluence. Wealth is substance. Affluence is gloss. Aim for Wealth. Wealth means the freedom to retire younger, own your own home, no debts, rising living standards, make big donations to your favourite charities, cash for anything you want and chuck in that 60-hour per week job you hate. Wealth gives choice, opportunity and security if you're clever enough to take advantage of it.

Affluence is lightweight lifestyle stuff that values appearances over underlying reality. Affluence not backed by wealth means big debts for depreciating items, being tied to a job you don't like, a feeling of inadequacy caused by 'keeping up with the Jones', anxiety, excessive consumerist materialism, etc.The biggest mistake is that people try to end up being affluent while not being backed-up by wealth. Affluence requires no skill or ability - just go on a spending spree and rack up huge debts.

The most important rule is that wealth must precede affluence. Too many people get the order wrong by seeking affluence first. They try to live like the 'rich people' seen on TV and in magazines without the means to do so. I can almost guarantee that getting the sequence wrong and putting affluence first will lead to unnecessary stress, spiralling debt, reduced long-term living standards and eventual destitution.

You mentioned university education. This has been a significant social shift in the last 30 years.

I'm intrigued by the impact that longer formal education has on our values, and how it would influence our attitudes to wealth.

I would like to tease this out a bit more:

On one hand uni education could lead to higher material expectations, especially if you're working class and mixing with more middle class people. If you do not simultaneously develop the means to fulfil them, then you've got a problem as expenditure outstrips income. (negative impact on wealth)

On the other hand, if people learn about the environment and to be critical of consumerist materialism and people don't equate an increasing number of posessions with happiness, that is not a million miles away from the old values of thrift if we add money conservation to the mix. (positive impact on wealth)

But extend this too far and we delve into marxist economics, that capitalists are the exploiters, that there is no such thing as social mobility then people are resigned to their current state of financial dependence and may even have a welfare or entitlement mentality. (negative impact on wealth)

The opposite would be if entrepeneurship and/or creative thinking is 'taught' (if it can be according to Edward de Bono). (positive impact on wealth in seeing oportunities)

Thus tertiary education can have differing impacts on different people.

Regards, Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said Spidie!

I used to know lots of people who through the dotcom boom had nice cars, nice suits, ate out at nice restaurants, owned nice whitegoods, etc.....

But they were worth nothing!

Zero (or negative) net wealth, incredibly high need to disguise this fact - both from others and from themselves.

I hope many of those people have learnt that wealth is not skin-deep.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Hey guys,

Thankyou all for the words of encouragement and the chance to see things from another perspective. The ability for like minded people to share in a resource such as this forum really is priceless.

Reading through the posts on this forum is great but at the same time painful as i have to remain patient before i can post threads such as "We just bought another IP... our 10th!" which will no doubt make me feel estatic and another 20y/o anxious!

Well unfortunately being roughly the start of the year i have to fork out great sums of money in the way of amenities fees, books, concession cards and parking permits :( Ah, any money i have since saved while working hard in my christmas break is about to go to what i feel as 'good use'.

Regards,
kris

Originally posted by krisvm

Ah, any money i have since saved while working hard in my christmas break is about to go to what i feel as 'good use'.
[/B]

And you'd be right!

People like Kiyosaki & de Roos rubbish the idea of working for someone else (almost as if it's something to be shameful of).

But there are some advantages of being in the 'rat race' for several years at least.

First of all you can save more (provided you escape the 'spending trap' common with people who land increased income). This can fuel the portfolio and mean that you have no worries re finding deposits.

Also a few years at the same job won't hurt when you go asking banks for $X00 000!

Regards, Peter

Originally posted by Spiderman
But there are some advantages of being in the 'rat race' for several years at least.

Also you get experience negotiating deals, managing difficult people, dealing with legal & admin hassles, hands-on experience creating things, etc, etc (depending on the job) at someone else's expense!

At uni you have to pay to learn (these days) at work they pay YOU to learn.

Not a bad lifestyle for a few years until you are ready to get out into the real world of full-time investing ;)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Acey wrote:

You sound like an enlightened version of a friend of mine....I watched her burn out 3 times in succession.....she never had any assets, but was always warning me about property being a bad risk.

Dont you love it when you listen to people that have no assets particularly property and they tell you all the reasons why you shouldnt buy property.?

Successful money makers only take advice from unbiased professionals.

Your identity will affect the way you act and react to certain situations and opportunities, for example, someone with a wealth identity loves the idea of attending seminars and expanding their knowledge. They are of the opinion that if they learn one new thing from the seminar, it is a success.

Conversely, someone with a poverty mindset is likely to tell you a hundred and one good reasons why the seminar is likely to be a rip-off and why you shouldn’t go or why you even bother reading an educational book. Can you see the difference? It is a profound one and it is why it is so important for you to cultivate a wealth identity.

Have you ever been talked out of something that you were going to do by somebody who was a non-professional or unbiased person? Oh, you shouldn’t buy an investment property people, trash them, or don’t invest in the share market – in 1987 I lost a bundle. So we take bad advice and we let that in. That person is trying to bring us down to there level and it rings a bell in our heads that maybe……… they are right. Maybe if I become rich, I’ll lose all my fiends. And yet 2 years later you drive by that same house that you were about to buy for $120,000 and it has a big sign on it that’s FOR SALE - $490,000.

You know the reason why we have all the negative beliefs pop us – its very simple and it is the number one need of the human being is to remain consistent with their identity. If you want that in easier terms it basically means that we have to be right. We as humans beings, cannot afford to be honest with ourselves. You will know that there have been times in your life where you have argued, for example, just because you wanted to be right. You know deep down that you are getting absolutely nowhere, you know that this is not useful, you know its only going to end up in tears, crying and yelling and yet we just have to be right. It is the same thing with your identity. This is subconsciously programmed into your identity. This need to be right. It protects us.

The number one need of the human being is to remain consistent with their identity and that is why we come up with all these negative beliefs because they reinforce that we’re OK. I am only here today, I have only got $10,000 or only got $100,000 or only got $25,000 in credit card debt, but that’s OK because I am right. Can’t possibly be wrong. So all these negative beliefs justify our existing position. All these negative beliefs are to justify our existing position. That is why they are there. However, I presume that there is nobody reading this now that they are just here to learn how to be exactly the same. I presume that everybody here wants to be better off than they were a couple of hours ago.

We have got to start being truly honest with ourselves. And we can no longer accept from ourselves this justifying of our position. We have to get to a position where we give ourselves a swift kick to the head and move ourselves along. And every time we hear one of these things come up we now know that all it is, is a justification of I’m OK. We accept that I’m OK and move on from there.

And last but not least, good money managers are always keen to learn. Remember, the key to wealth is not money, the key to wealth is knowledge. Knowledge is the key to wealth. And of course having a positive mental attitude.

But we must banish the bad thoughts from our heads and banish those who choose to destroy us. I don’t mean to say to your friends – get lost. But we just have to choose not to listen. Say thanks for that opinion, but I have made up own mind and I’m buying that house. I am very happy with my decision, I have researched it well. And every time you say that, what are you doing? You are reinforcing that you’re on the right track. Keep a positive mental attitude but just accept from time to time that you’re going to be wrong and make mistakes. Don’t beat up yourself. It’s going to be learning experiences not failures.

Tomas Edison inventor of the light globe had 750 attempts before he made the light globe. He was asked during the 600th time, why aren’t you giving up? You failed 600 times. His reply was – No, I’m 600 times closer of getting it right. That’s attitude you have to take. Because it’s very easy to get sucked down with the turkeys. There are turkeys everywhere. In every profession, 80% of people are turkeys, and the 20% of them are eagles. It’s the eagles we have to seek out and find. It’s the eagles we have to surround ourselves with.

It’s not going to be an easy journey creating wealth. A successful
person once said, its not because I had more successors than anybody else, it is because I had more failures. It has never bothered me for what has happened to me because I have taken action but most people when they fail they give up.
;)

Another 9 Months.

Hi guys,

Just thought i'd post my progress once again.

I've been extremely busy in my final year of uni. I'm also going through that stage of 21st bdays which is keeping me busy and pockets empty as awell.

I've saved up $8500 in ING and $1100 in St George.
Each month i receive about 35 bucks passive income. Not much hey.
I've got two jobs on the go, but really only working 1. (its my 2nd job so i get taxed more each week, but i usual work sundays for ~7hrs @ $27. which is pretty good :) Sometimes another 5-6 hours in the week @ bout $17.

I have expenses of about $35 petrol a week. No other bills but maybe ~$70/wk in food , entertainment etc. Oh, and a particular woman who can be dangerous for me financially if i'm not careful! lol. :eek: I still have that HECS debt somewhere too.

Since i last posted i've acquired a credit card with the commbank and i have a $1k limit. Though when i get my ass into gear i might increase that now that i've had it for bout 3 months and i am pretty comfortable with it. I find it difficult to use as an investment tool at the moment, and every now and then just buy stuff with it instead of cash for the hell of it. (then later transferring the money over on netbank.) Don't know if this is good or bad.. perhaps creating some kind of credit rating? But i'm not paying any fees or amassing any bad debt.

I've also signed up with commsec and starting to put a lil of my time into learning about shares etc. I haven't invested anything yet but 'fake' money and its been a bit of fun.

Coming to the end of my current degree i'm likely to be moving to NSW to study at the syd uni. for perhaps 4-6 years. I'm not sure what to do about accommodation, but perhaps this is the time to jump start my property investment career at the same time? I know very little about the sydney market. I could possibly be living with a few mates but nothing will be certain until early next year.

As for now, i haven't spent that much time on the forums or doing property reading. After reading text books all the time the last thing i really want to do is read a computer screen or more magazines etc. Though i'm starting out doing 'speed reading' which might change things. (if you don't know about it google it out.. its pretty cool... get your reading rates up from 250-300 words per minute to 2000+ wpm !!!)

Instead, i try to take my dog on walks around my neighbourhood and keep an eye on sales , forthcoming auctions etc.

Best Regards,
Kris.

krisvm,

SOunds like you've made decent progress....how does it compare to your goals for the year?

If you can make it along to one of the investment get togethers you might find this a valuable experience - and we're all cheapskates so it shouldn't cost you to much :D

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Jas said:
Hey Ecogirl,

I had a flatmate who bought a 4 litre tub of icecream. When that was eaten, he filled it up with water and put his credit cards inside.

It then lived in the freezer.

If he truly wanted something he had to pull it out of hte freezer and wait for it to defroast.

It didn't get pulled out much...

Just an idea :)

Jas

Its amazing how many ppl do this !!!

But would you then buy a microwave so you could thaw your credit card faster :)

krisvm, you're an inspiration! Sounds like you got your sh-one-t together.

I am also studying at uni at the moment. I don't know whether it is the right move or not, but I have broken my back to make sure I pay all the fees up front every semester and avoided HECS debt. The main reason is the 25% discount I get for not charging it to HECS. Another incentive is recalling how much a guy I used to work with used to complain about the higher tax rate he paid when he started working after his degree!

Its not been easy, and some months I am a week or two over on clearing the credit card completely, but the interest on the credit card for a week or two does not come close to the 25% discount I get. I have it set up so that if I can't afford the up front fees I can still default to HECS for a semester, or I can pay what I can afford (min $500) and defer the remainder of a semesters bill to HECS.

But you might get a better return in property on that money, and let the borrow from the government instead. I think the interest on HECS debt is only to account for inflation.

Good luck! I graduate middle of next year, can't wait, tired of having no time at all (I work 38 hours/wk as well as uni)

Do a search on HECS - there is an interesting thread about the benefits of prepayment - I cant remember the outcome.

I seem to recall my assumptions were wrong...

I dont remember information, I just know where to find it.

Here is what I found on a search of HECS that might be relevant:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you paying your HECS upfront or deferring? If you are deferring then I would recommend that one action you could take is to save up and pay $500 each time off your HECS for an immediate discount of 15%. I paid mine off slowly over 4 years as a proportion of my salary and it would have been better not to have that debt for so long
I disagree quite strongly with you on this one, re the hecs fees. I'd definately recommend not making any voluntary payments whatsoever. As far as I know, theres no advantages to it. Soon enough you'll be retired on your portfolio and not be required to make any contributions anyway
re the hecs fees though the advantage you get is if you voluntarily pay off $500 or more off the HECS balance then you get a 15% discount off the loan balance. Therefore if you pay off $1500 voluntarily you get an additional $225 ($1500 * 15%) bonus applied against your debt. Whilst I was paying it off you have to declare the mandatory amounts that you are paying to your banks and therefore it effects your servicability. If you are on a low income this may make a difference when applying for a loan.

Since krisvm is planning on going straight into another four years of study, it probably makes sense not to prepay it, as it would be easy not to make over the $30,000 before they start expecting you to pay it back after your finish studying (in 4-5 years time?). You could do a lot with the money that you have saved by not prepaying HECS in 4-5 years... and in 4-5 years time the current fees will probably seem insignificant.

And I guess if you have HECS debt already, its probably the last thing you want to pay off before credit cards, car loans and mortgages as the interest rate is so low.

So I guess the answer is to charge it all to HECS and make sure you dont start earning taxable income for a loooooong time! As for me, well, I am already earning so can't play that game.

A small tax success this year was that I was able to claim university expenses, unlike last year when I received bad advice and was told it was not possible. That made for a decent tax refund this year.

Back