70's feature timber wall

Hi,
The property i bought has this wall(link below) in the dining room. I think it is very dark and gives the place a depressing warm look. The house also feels like a ski lodge so i want to get rid of it. I am not moving into the house for another few months however wanted to know if anyone has done this before? Did you paint over it or can it be remoeved and have the walls re done?(bricke veneer).

http://picasaweb.google.com/gachram/HopmanStreetGreyStanes#5311338217363799314

Another Question i have is this. What is average cost assuming no load bearing walls to install a 4m french door as this wall is the rear wall and behind it is the backyard and small balcony.

thanks in advnaced,

Those were popular after the 70s :)

Could probably take it off and put gyprock on instead. Would be about the same thickness too.

The lowest cost way to deal with it is to paint over it. But first use a primer to go over the clear gloss and to stop any tanins from the wood bleeding through.

Otherwise as RElf said, gyprock it.

oh so yummy :rolleyes:

i have seen them painted out and they look okay. what you need is to give it a light sand, paint it with a "stick to everything" undercoat - i can't remember what it's called but your local paint shop will know - and then paint over, preferably in the same colour as the rest of the room.

yeah i think would prefer to gyprock it. smoother look i think but then again im not much of a painter so i reckon that if i paint it you would probably still see the diagonal grooves.
@ Lizzie, heheh , why is it yummy?
there is no benefit to keeping it like this as i dont see it as giving much character to the house. just a dark gloomy wall in an already slightly underlit house.
option 2 is to put french sliding doors and open it up to the balcony on the other side. no idea how much it will cost though and whether i need to go through council. any ideas?

If it is an external wall it will almost certainly be load bearing.

We painted over a timber feature wall very successfully. But it was smooth timber without the grooves like the one you have.
Marg

If you look at the cornice, it look slike this is placed on top of the gyprock.

If you remove you will most likely find gyprock under it.

I put $10 on it.

It depends what condition the gyprock is in.

Is it a timber veneer or is it actual pine board or similar?

If it is a timber veneer, my guess it would have been simply put on plasterboard. And if so it would have screwed and glued on. If you were to take it off, there will large blocks of glue and invariably the paper of the board would rip in some areas as you took it off. My guess is that you would need to replaster the wall.

gyprock straight over it, just remove the timber trim...its a piece of cake to hang gyprock....if your unsure about the rest drop into a building site and ask a gyprocker to fishish the job once you hang it..dead easy and a cashy...

forget taking down this old feature wall, thats just time wasting.

gyprock straight over it, just remove the timber trim...its a piece of cake to hang gyprock....if your unsure about the rest drop into a building site and ask a gyprocker to fishish the job once you hang it..dead easy and a cashy...

forget taking down this old feature wall, thats just time wasting.

Depending on someone's capability, you will also need to consider the skirting boards would need to replaced. And depending how thick the existing wall is, the 6mm (?) thickness of the plasterboard may sit flush or stand further out against the cornices. Depends on how picky you are about the look.

You would also need to locate studs as well. Easy for people who have done it or have some aptitude for these tasks.

Hi,
The property i bought has this wall(link below) in the dining room. I think it is very dark and gives the place a depressing warm look. The house also feels like a ski lodge so i want to get rid of it. I am not moving into the house for another few months however wanted to know if anyone has done this before? Did you paint over it or can it be remoeved and have the walls re done?(bricke veneer).

http://picasaweb.google.com/gachram/HopmanStreetGreyStanes#5311338217363799314

thanks in advnaced,

As the others have said. Remove the timber trim and ease the cornice off and Gyprock over the timber paneling and replace cornice, ... cheap, quick and fairly easy.

You can also remove the trim and cornice and remove the paneling if it's uneven and then gyprock.

I have something similar recently on a reno I've just finished. I removed the old paneling and gyprocked the wall plus put battens on the brick wall and gyprocked. ..... see the before and after photo's below..

Lounge pre-destruction 1.jpg

PB180370.jpg

Even if you paid a pro to do the job it should be fairly inexpensive.

Good luck

Mystery .... :D

its a mornings work for any tradie....set first day, come back and sand the next, max 6 hrs work tops if that and its all done and ready for you to paint...seal properly first then paint...

if unsure get a tradie from any job site..beer money for someone......few sheets, bit of cornice, glue, nails and its done.

If you look at the cornice, it look slike this is placed on top of the gyprock.

If you remove you will most likely find gyprock under it.

I put $10 on it.

It depends what condition the gyprock is in.

Yeah, that was pretty much what I was thinking. My BIL has the same. He only put it up a couple of years ago. :rolleyes: It is simply attached to the gyprock.

Like Nathan said, depending on how it is attached to the gyprock will depend on how much you will need to do to bring it up. Even if you need to rip the gyprock off and start again, it won't be a big job.

As for the french doors, we put a set in a few years ago now and they cost around $1k, fully installed. We just bought them from Doors Plus and they arranged the tradie. Even though Hubby could have done it himself, it was money well spent.

tiger I love painted boards, they are very in vogue atm, def paint it, paint it antique white or similar. I am currently fixing up a very old home, with a crappy 70's extension with exactly the same boards, I am so excited about painting it! I won't be doing it for about 2mths, but I'll post pics when I do. Unless you really hate painted board, then leave them, I think you will like it!

I realise it's personal taste, but many people like it painted.:)

I think just paint it,
Oil based undercoat and two coats low sheen acrylic ,
It will look great,
Saved you a lot of money and really it is just a personal thing,

I reckon tradie dollars would be around $1500 to pull it off and replace.

However, the $10 stays in play because if you look at the cornice it hangs flush with the timber meaning somthing is behind it and its just been stuck to it.

Goodluck if it is gyprock, then you pay me $10 and its cheap exercise. If its not, I pay you $10 towards you renovation. :)

Its a win win for you really....

Bear in mind when you take the tmber off, it can be hiding a whole new story and probably has holes all the way through it or if its glued on the glue can rip the carboard layers off the gyprock.

That would be worst option for you, being you lose $10 and the gyprock needs to come down.

Fingers crossed mate - I expect update on FB!

get it off!

I dont mind painted boards altogether but detest the diagonals! I agree it's a matter of personal taste, the trouble is that personal taste often puts off buyers. I would get rid of it.

Back