A Complete Granny Flat Build

Aircon switch - the power of the GF has been set up with a heavy duty switch for aircon. A small unit will cost around $1500 so I'm not going to install one.
Make sure you can install Aircon before getting the approval. Your BASIX may not allow it.

Make sure you can install Aircon before getting the approval. Your BASIX may not allow it.

Thanks for the tip Devbank. Had to look up BASIX to understand what it was.

Found the relevant section on their site for airconditioners and I'm still confused

https://www.basix.nsw.gov.au/basixc...rgy/heating-and-cooling/air-conditioning.html

Looks like you'd just have to make sure the airconditioner you install is efficient.

So if I wanted to install an airconditioner some time in the future which I don't think I will, I'd have to get an energy efficient model.

Im pretty sure Air con can be installed post occupation certifiate without having to deal with Basix. Its more if the air con is installed at the time of construction that there would be an issue. Happy to be corrected here.

Mindmaster, a quick phone call to Serge should clarify your AC issue. :)

Also with the water meter, my PM just gets the tenants to send a photo of their meter every quarter. Everyone has a phone with a camera these days, been doing that for over 2.5 years... no complaints from the tenants.

Lock Up

The GF was at lock up as of last Friday with the lock up stage invoice issued and paid for :p

The kitchen will be fitted this wednesday.
Tiler will finish the splash back on Thursday
Timber flooring is coming on Saturday

Completion date has been pushed back from the 20th to the 24th and that is not certain. Looks like it could be a little later than that.

Looking forward to having the GF finished, tenanted and rent rolling in. The holding costs for a GF build are not that big compared to say a 3-4 unit development but they are adding up.

Kitchen pics

Received pictures of the kitchen today from the builder courtesy of the kitchen company.

You would not like to cook there if you are tall becauseyou would keep hitting my head on the range hood/cupboard while trying to see whats happening on the hot plates.

Looks good though especially given the small area and will look better with tiles.

The builder has updated the completion date again, this time to bring it forward and trying hard to aim for the 14th, next Friday :D

Attachments

• kitchen one small.jpg
    kitchen one small.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 146
  • kitchen two small.jpg
    kitchen two small.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 157
  • kitchen three small.jpg
    kitchen three small.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 155
Looking good mate. How are things going with the tenant in the front house? They sorted out now, or they still giving you grief?

Looking good mate. How are things going with the tenant in the front house? They sorted out now, or they still giving you grief?

The tenant was unhappy and complained to the PM about the concrete and back yard being ripped up by the plumber and not being fixed properly. Not sure if their complaint was valid. Sounds like it was. Either way, the builder assured me that it would be fixed.

No other tenant issues that I've heard of. The builder has been having issues that have caused delays but I don't know what they are. I've asked to get a better understanding of what is happening but no answer yet.

Received a couple of emails from the builder today together with some pics

Painting finished
Bathroom should be tiled by now
Floor in Saturday

reasons for Delays
Safety - Shalvey being Shalvey anything not bolted down or locked away gets nicked
Power - problems getting access to power due to the tenants
Site access - not sure why but there is still difficulty getting access to the site

Power Meter
The sparkie needs an NMI number to pick up the GF power meter so I was on the phone talking to Origin (they supply power to the house) to sort that out. They take 3 business days to provide the NMI.

Attachments

• outside one.jpg
    outside one.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 168
  • inside two.jpg
    inside two.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 158
You would not like to cook there if you are tall because you would keep hitting my head on the range hood/cupboard while trying to see whats happening on the hot plates.

umm lol no you wont have this problem. You wont hit your head against the rangehood. I understand you're overseas so cant see it from all angles. Even extended, the rangehood wont hit a person in the noggin, even if they're 7 feet tall. :eek:

Look at the attached sample. The top cupboards are not the same depth as the bottom cupboards. There's no way you'll ever hit your head. Yours will be like this when done. Fear not my friend. There's nothing like an optical illusion to set your fears off :)

Attachments

• rangehood protrusion.jpg
    rangehood protrusion.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 122
umm lol no you wont have this problem. You wont hit your head against the rangehood. I understand you're overseas so cant see it from all angles. Even extended, the rangehood wont hit a person in the noggin, even if they're 7 feet tall. :eek:

Look at the attached sample. The top cupboards are not the same depth as the bottom cupboards. There's no way you'll ever hit your head. Yours will be like this when done. Fear not my friend. There's nothing like an optical illusion to set your fears off :)

Thanks for the pic and explanation Serge. The kitchen in that pic looks great.

If your head is above the height of the rangehood, can you clearly see the back hotplates?

Thanks for the pic and explanation Serge. The kitchen in that pic looks great.

If your head is above the height of the rangehood, can you clearly see the back hotplates?

You're welcome m8.
I think you'd need to be extremely tall (over 7 feet) to not see the back elements. Even then why would you need to see them for more that 0.1 seconds?

Almost Done

Gas Meters
When the GF meter was installed, the plumber had to upgrade the existing meter which is in the back yard. The inspector came out to check the connections and based on new regulations, required both meters to be visible and easy to read at the front of the house. This mean moving the meter to the front and a bill of $700:( The builder coordinated the whole thing which was great.

Completion
Did not make the last deadline of the 20th due to gas meter and ongoing tenant and access issues. Looking at having the GF finished and ready for tenants by the end of the week
-shower screen went in today
-landscaping to be done tomorrow
-final inspection to be done this week
-vertical blinds are in production and should be installed in two weeks

Should not be too hard getting tenants without the blinds. Will see what the PM thinks.

Pencil Pines
Originally planned on having 4-5 pencil pines in the house side of the fence but have placed that idea on hold. The builder already has enough on their plate with this job and planting trees on the house side is not part of the landscaping.

May see how much the PM's handy man charges to do the job. The builder has given an excellent value deal on this job so plenty of room left in the budget to pay for planting. This mob are great place to buy the trees and even deliver for you.

http://plantworld.com.au/juniperus-spartan-40cm-pot-clone-2.html

Gas Meters
The inspector came out to check the connections and based on new regulations, required both meters to be visible and easy to read at the front of the house.
Interesting...I'm wondering why such a rule exists. I don't understand why the inspector wanted the meter to be visible.

I recently (<2 weeks ago) had AGL come and install the gas meter at my place. They put it at the front corner of the house (attached it to the house).

If i were to put up a fence, they may be able to see it, but there is no way they can read it (unlike the water meter which is positioned all the way on the fence boundary).

Completion
Should not be too hard getting tenants without the blinds. Will see what the PM thinks.
Don't rush trying to get a tenant in. You would rather a good tenant than a crappy one (based on the posts you've had hear about the existing one). Not having blinds is enough to turn off a good prospective tenant in my opinion.

During the inspection, as long as it is made clear that the blinds are being installed in a few days and will be ready before someone moves in, then its ok. If the blinds install date is a bit unknown, then I would hold off.

I really don't think anyone enjoys being seen naked by some random guy.

Final Inspection

Don't rush trying to get a tenant in. You would rather a good tenant than a crappy one (based on the posts you've had hear about the existing one). Not having blinds is enough to turn off a good prospective tenant in my opinion.

During the inspection, as long as it is made clear that the blinds are being installed in a few days and will be ready before someone moves in, then its ok. If the blinds install date is a bit unknown, then I would hold off.

I really don't think anyone enjoys being seen naked by some random guy.
Good points Nek. Every week delay is $260 in lost rent so these extra waits are expensive. Need to get the GF tenanted quickly but not at the cost of unsutiable tenants.

Final Inspection
Final inspection was done today and naturally the GF passed with flying colors :p Next step is occupancy which should happen very soon.

Landscaping
Was finished today and it now looks great. The attached before and afte pics speak for themselves

Attachments

• One Before.jpg
    One Before.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 132
  • One after.jpg
    One after.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 140
  • Three before.jpg
    Three before.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 133
  • three after.jpg
    three after.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 143
More landscaping before and after pics

Attachments

• two before.jpg
    two before.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 99
  • two after.jpg
    two after.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 103
  • four before.jpg
    four before.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 109
  • four after.jpg
    four after.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 106
Occupany & Completion
Been a few more delays but the certificate of occupancy has been issued and keys should be handed over Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. The delays are due to
-the painting was not up to the quality the builder required so the builder has got them to come back. Impressed with the professionalism of the builder.
-Tenant access (again) issues so the builder is having trouble getting to the back yard to fix concrete broken by the plumber. The PM and the builder are working together to fix this.

Landscaping
Had a chat with the builder today and found out that the landscaping job they did was a bonus not included in the contract. They basically did it for nothing and together with the GF designer (Serge/brazen) are out of pocket.

So so far the builder has put up with very frustrating tenant issues, done a great landscaping job for nothing, are working to make sure their tradespeople are doing a quality fnish, coordinating with the PM and more

Depreciation Shedule
Have contacted a mob recommended by my accountant called "Depreciator" to organize a depreciation schedule. Will have the exact costs and details in a couple of days. Expecting to be able to claim $3000-$4000 annually in depreciation expenses at this stage for this IP.

Should have some pics up tomorrow

Last edited:
I can see some issues with that landscaping around the house, that mulch and garden bed are too high and covering weatherboards, you are avoiding termite protection warranty by doing that, and there is easy access for termites now.

There should be 75mm slab exposure all around.

Back