A different type of investment

I have lots of collections and mini collections, everything is bought with long term hold and sell in mind. I buy things I like and that are good buys. Timing is important too. There might be an exhibition of an artist, which draws attention to their work and makes people more interested, so prices rise.

My main collections are lamps, certain Australian paintings and ceramics. But I have a soft spot for vintage omega watches, just recently bought some old comics, 1950's pin ball glass backings (framed) and some original WEG proof drawings for a footy card series from the 1970's.

I'd probably say around 1/4 of my net wealth would be in collectables.

Knowledge is everything, more so than property. But if you've been into it for long enough you build up knowledge and develop an eye for quality things.

Have to be a bit careful you don't turn hoarder, it can happen easily enough, I always keep in mind that I don't actually own anything, I'm just minding it for the next person.

I collect English china, Waterford crystal, Japanese pottery, antique jewellery.

I go to auctions regularly, I don't buy these items with a view to make money, I doubt that would happen. I get lots of pleasure having these items on display in my home.

Back