a duplex with an underpinning problem

I wonder if someone can please help me with a problem we have. The property we have is under a community title, I think that is the right title. By that I mean that the complex is responsible for the property except for the roof, for which we are responsible.
The property is a villa in a complex in Brisbane.

Our problem is that the villa needs underpinning due to several problems, trees in the next door complex, tenants that watered everything, a property manager that didn't manage the property & a body corporate committee that is more bothered about trivial matters than a house falling down

We are getting the runaround from everyone & are getting desperate to know what to do.

We have had an engineer's report so we know that the property needs underpinning. The problem is that the property is on a cement slab which is shared with the villa next door. If we have our villa underpinned this may crack the cement slab so damaging the next door property.

We have tried the stata management, the body corporate committee, the property manager & we just get fob offs. If the place was just ours we would have already done the job.

Please can someone help, I would be very appreciative of any pointers or help in this matter.

Thanks
blossomoz

your poor things

Wow, I really feel for you. It is bad enough worrying about the cost! I have no experience in this area, but wonder whether yours, or the complex's insurance covers this, or even whether it is covered through your mortgage (our brokers make us have building insurance) if you have one. If so, maybe they have experience in this area?

Good luck with it.

blossomoz said:
I wonder if someone can please help me with a problem we have. The property we have is under a community title, I think that is the right title. By that I mean that the complex is responsible for the property except for the roof, for which we are responsible.
The property is a villa in a complex in Brisbane.

Our problem is that the villa needs underpinning due to several problems, trees in the next door complex, tenants that watered everything, a property manager that didn't manage the property & a body corporate committee that is more bothered about trivial matters than a house falling down

We are getting the runaround from everyone & are getting desperate to know what to do.

We have had an engineer's report so we know that the property needs underpinning. The problem is that the property is on a cement slab which is shared with the villa next door. If we have our villa underpinned this may crack the cement slab so damaging the next door property.

We have tried the stata management, the body corporate committee, the property manager & we just get fob offs. If the place was just ours we would have already done the job.

Please can someone help, I would be very appreciative of any pointers or help in this matter.

Thanks
blossomoz

HI Blossomoz,

How many in the development - and how many "active" members on the body corp? (as different from the "don't care"s)

The Y-man

Hi to everyone,
Sorry I was so wound up I didn't address everyone previously. Please accept my apologies.
There are 24 in the complex & most are owner occupied. There is some bias against absentee landlords & one of the body corporate committee is very miffed because we paid less for our villa than he paid. He didn't mention the fact that someone paid less than we did.
So, to answer the question, yes there are a lot of interested parties living on site & probably, at a guess, say 4/5 absentee lands

The problem began due to a problem with the builder. The body corporate committee went through the channels with the builder etc to no avail. They then went to The Building Services Authority who, apparently, gave quotes. The committee chose one & the repair was absolutely shocking & didn't repair the problem. It just gets worse & worse.

It is the passing the buck thing that really gets to me. We look after out properties & every day that passes makes this problem worse.
thanks
blossomoz

I feel somewhat better for the moment as the boss of the business is going to see the property for himself. He told us this yesterday so we will just sit & hope at the moment.

Back