A few Q's

I am new to the holiday rental property whole investing in property thing and would like to ask a few questions about taxation.

First, I am wondering about depreciation. I think I read somewhere that I can depreciate at 4% per year. I am looking at an 8 year old holiday unit. The unit is part of a complex and is fully managed.

If the property is depreciating, what value do I depreciate against, eg. if the property originally sold at lets say $200 000 after it was built and I now come along and buy it for $300 000, do I depreciate against the $200 000 or $300 000 figure?

If I say earn $45 000 from rent and then say $22 000 is deducted for the management and other fees by the management agency and if I pay $21 000 in intrest on the loan, do I have to pay tax on $24 000 and then get as many deductions from what the management agency as possible to try claw this back?

Finally (for now:) if I am allowed to use the unit for 4 weeks a year, does this in anyway count against me wrt the property being owner occupied?

Thanks

Hi FT,

You'd get a quantity surveyor to inspect the property and write a depreication report for you which will describe the various components of the property and how much depreication is available in them.

Not all parts of a property depreicate at the same rate. The building can usually be depreciated over 40 years (I think), carpet over 7 years (I'm not sure), etc.

I really don't know how quickly things can be written off, which is why I pay a few hundered dollars for the report. It's well worth the money spent.

Beyond that you give the report to your accountant and they work out your tax return for you.

Back