A Good Accountant?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good investment-savvy accountant.

Any recommendations?

I'm in Perth and investing in Brisbane.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for the response, Rixter. I'll get in touch with them :)

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,

Mark

My suggestion: read enough about tax and accounting to understand what your accountant is saying. The advice is only as good as the client.
Alex

My suggestion: read enough about tax and accounting to understand what your accountant is saying. The advice is only as good as the client.
Alex

I want an accountant who can explain it all to me in a way I can understand. I feel that is part of what I pay them for. But maybe that's just me.

I want an accountant who can explain it all to me in a way I can understand. I feel that is part of what I pay them for. But maybe that's just me.

Yes, you want an accountant who will explain everything to you. However, even the best accountant will not know everything about your circumstances (especially if things change). It'll be to your benefit if you understand at least the basics so you can spot the situations where 'I need to talk to my accountant about this to see how it affects me'.

Same with mortgage brokers, etc. Personally, I need to know enough about loan types, etc to really understand which loan is right for me. I trust my broker, but he doesn't know everything that goes on in my head.
Alex

I use Gatherum-Goss as my accountants. I received a letter a couple of weeks ago saying that Dale was retiring and that someone else will be taking over the helm. I believe the rest of the accountants at the firm are staying, so hopefully the same service will remain also. I must admit that the main reason I engaged Gatherum-Goss to look after my financials in the first place was because of Dale and his reputation.

Nick

I received a letter a couple of weeks ago saying that Dale was retiring and that someone else will be taking over the helm. I believe the rest of the accountants at the firm are staying, so hopefully the same service will remain also.

Hiya,

Yes, aside from now working out of a shiny new office with a shiny new boss, everything else here remains the same.

I recall seeing another thread this morning about good accountants. I agree complelely with the posts there that said good things about Nick Moustacas and Mike Armstrong. Martin Ryland (mry) on this forum is the other one well worth speaking to.

Cheers

James.

Hiya,

Yes, aside from now working out of a shiny new office with a shiny new boss, everything else here remains the same.

I recall seeing another thread this morning about good accountants. I agree complelely with the posts there that said good things about Nick Moustacas and Mike Armstrong. Martin Ryland (mry) on this forum is the other one well worth speaking to.

Cheers

James.

Hello James.

Are you allowed to divulge to us who is your new boss?

I echo the sentiments of NickB. I am in the process of shopping for a new accountant, and had fully intended to call GG next week. But this was based solely on the notion that Dale would be looking after me.

Last night I read an interview with Dale, in which he said the biggest concern about his business is staff turnover. This worries me a little too, I must admit.

James, please don't take any of this as a criticism. It's not my intention to stir trouble or ruffle feathers (or any other cliche).

I guess I just want some reassurance that if I cross over to the GG side, I will receive the same great service your firm has offered in the past.

Perhaps I should just call you guys?

Thanks,

Harriet

Hiya,

Staff turnover is an issue in most businesses, and especially in this industry. For whatever it is worth, my surname is still on the door and I plan to be here for at least as long as it stays that way. I have been told by the others here that they do not plan on leaving, either. This is an exciting time for us here.

GGA is still being run as an independant business, with the same person (Pat Mannix) in charge who currently owns Paris Consulting.

Now, Dale has been dealing with fewer and fewer clients directly over the last number of years, as he has focused more on working on his business, rather than in it. Given current circumstances, this looks to have been a good move on his part.

No offense has been taken and no feathers are ruffled. You - along with anyone else - are always welcome to contact me directly if you have questions or concerns. Naturally, I will still be in contact with Dale and so will have his expertise (whilst it is still relevant to current law) and Pat's to rely on whenever my own is found short.

But, if you are concerned, by all means speak to one of the three gents mentioned in my last post. I am sure they will look after you well, but, I cannot commont on their own retirement plans... ;)

Cheers

James.

Back