A nation of empty playgrounds

year 2050.....

my accomodation needs will be very small and very cheap....

construction timber, say six feet long by two foot wide...

and well insulated from the extremes of weather.

A86

agent 86 said:
year 2050.....

my accomodation needs will be very small and very cheap....

construction timber, say six feet long by two foot wide...

and well insulated from the extremes of weather.

A86

A86
And a plot in God's Own Country not far from the sea. :)
Lplate

Unlike poor old Melbourne or Canberra where they'd need a jackhammer to break the frozen clay.
:p

Poison

The Y-man said:
Hmm.... or was it that all the kids got poisoned from the treated timber?

Hum... the Copper-Chrome-Arsenic debate You should rather rephrase the above and change kids for carpenters.
When the risk is real for the carpenter that uses a power saw or power planer on the timber, the chance of a kid ingesting even negligible traces of CCA from playing in a park with treated pine products is non existent and the debate is purely commercial. Surface CCA on the treated timber is highly water soluble and will wash away on the first rain. Considering treated pine logs are stored outside even before purchase, the risk for kids is just not there.

If our Health ministry would be interested in the slightest in Australians health, it would ban 90 % of the food additives in the market, flavour enhancers, colours and all the rest of the poison that is dished out daily. Rise the bar with "permissible" levels of heavy metals in fish, threshold they LOWERED in order to be able to serve the highly poisonous Marlin in restaurants. Start measuring 5HMF in soft drinks, lollies and honey like Europe has been doing for the last 50 years, banning anything that contains 40ppm when we don't even test soft drinks that contain 1000ppm....Oh, and what about Tin Oxide and Aluminum Oxide in imported canned food? Radiation in imported vegetables and fruit? Pesticide traces on our fruit and vegies? I could go on for days....

No one is interested in our health. Politicians would go through some motions if it serves their vote chasing exercise only.
Sad, and yes if you have treated pine at home, don't panic. Short of your kids licking it for hours when it is brand new and beofre the first rain, it is perfectly safe. If you really want to stop worrying, give it a coat of paint.

That's good news for people sitting on investment units - they'll be hot property by 2050.
2050? Who waits 45 years for 'hot property'? In 45 years you have the potential to win and lose a multi-million property portfolio 4 times over.

Another thing, by 2050 the general demographics of our society might actually swing back to larger type families. You never know.

Bottom line - that article has about as much weight as a CIA report on WMD.

ah well - if i'm still around in 50 years to see this come off i will be very happy. but like many on the post - even at 76 i'll still want my large house to rattle around in, with a large double garage to send my husband and the dog out to, a pool in the backyard for when the grandkids come over (or for wallowing in on a lilo with a good book and glass of fizzy) and a garden to potter in and somewhere for the cat to chase crickets.

besides - house many 1940's houses are still standing on their big blocks? by the time another 50 years pass the population would have spread, the homes on large blocks will have been pulled down and replaced by the "home of the times" and the cycle will have moved on ... as will our investing.

as the goal posts move, so do we.

lizzie

The governments baby bonus may also cause an increase the number of families with kids. Therefore the demand for larger homes will always be there.

I am sure the government will keep such incentives going as we need a rising population to keep the economy going.

Sailesh Channan said:
The governments baby bonus may also cause an increase the number of families with kids. Therefore the demand for larger homes will always be there.

I am sure the government will keep such incentives going as we need a rising population to keep the economy going.

Sailesh,

How much is the baby bonus and is it means tested? :) And do you know of a website where I can read about all of the government incentives for us soon-to-be-parents? ;)

Cheers,
Michael.

Sailesh Channan said:
According to the last census data 74.6% of all occupied units were covered by a rental bond followed by 31.6% for townhouses and 16% for houses.

This was a snapshot of Brisbane. I know it does not represent all of Australia but I am sure the figures in other states will be along the same lines.

These figures suprised me.... thats why I was wondering where they were from.

The Brisbane market is quite different IMHO...

Take a look at the amount of available units for investment - and the number of us that are investors.

The Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne CBD's (where the the number of units are largest) are quite different - then take the number of units in say Sydney into account - its not unusual for a suburban area 25km's+ for the CBD to have a couple of hundred units - even thousands in the larger areas around the transport hubs.

Check out the 2001 Census Population and Housing Data, or this link has some good info

http://www.uws.edu.au/download.php?...FINAL_T._Seelig_.pdf&mimetype=application/pdf

I agree with Sailesh that retirees are becoming very discerning buyers. Every time I move house I try to fix problems that I had with earlier houses. For example, the last garage I had built was with extra high roller doors so my visitors could park their four wheel drive in the garage. Now the next problem I have to fix (when I move next) is that I should have had the garage made extra wide because I hate not being able to swing the door right open to get out of the car. Other things are I want a "butler's sink" because I am sick of having the divided sinks interfere with washing up big pans. By the time I retire properly I will have a list of what a comfortable easy living house/apartment should have and the current units/villas just don't cut it.

yep

Like michael - the only thing stopping my wife and i (and the baby) from moving into a nice shinny apartment is my damn dog!!! love him though....equilibrium in the family 2 boys 2 girls....

Trends are funny things. I agree that larger houses will drop in price and it will have little to do with peoples living preferences ie number of bedrooms, space to move etc etc...

It will have more to do with economics. Cost of energy, cost of transport, infrastructure etc etc.

Lplate - you should be a sciencefiction writer. All those pimps, hos and druggies.............dont we call that 'bohemia'......kings cross and st kilda are booming.........hehe. wheres Rev Fred when i need him..

With an ageing population IHMO I think there will also be an increasing number of people considering the option of adding granny flats.

I think that there will be a large number of underfunded retirees and this will be the only viable alternative.

This means that homes on acerages and larger blocks would be highly sought after. This trend may not be aparent right now but over time I think may be one of the options a large number would start to consider.

nice one

sailesh - Granny flats. Very interesting. It would solve the affordability issue for the youger gen aswell. Other parts of the world parents living with the childrens family is seen as quite normal. Maybe this will be one of our emerging cultural trends.....

Sailesh and Ebbie,

Thanks for the links, but it looks like we're not entitled to anything. The baby bonus only seems to be paid if your income reduces or some such criteria and is a token $500 I think.

I thought there was a one off birth bonus of around $3K that you were paid when you had a baby. Guess I was wrong... I might look into it a bit more once our new additiona arrives.

Thanks anyway,
Michael.

PS Aussierogue, good to see you active on "both" REI forums, just noted your post to foundation on the other forum regarding another poster with a "1" in their name ;) and couldn't agree more. I rarely bother with that other site now due to that sort of rubbish...

Lplate said:
My 2c worth in haste..

Are they assuming that business will continue to be conducted in big buildings in the cbd? That assumption could prove incorrect.

IMHO there is a likelihood of inner city slums with druggies, prostitutes, gangs and other nasties ruling the night. Few parks - where would the land come from anyhow?

It is already dangerous (and dirty) walking the City streets after 6.00 pm.

Psychologists have a lot to say about the oppressive feelings of isolation, alienation and threat endured by people in highly populated cities. How does one develop a sense of community in a place with thousands of isolates living in cells? Everyone looks down as they pass so they don't become involved.

No, I don't think one could bet on apartments in the inner city being a desired location for people with money to spend.

You are making a lot of assumptions here.

It is safe to walk in Sydney after 6 pm.

There are a lot of lonely people in the suburbs too. It's not all about population density.

What makes you think the offices will move away from the CBD? Where will they go?

MichaelWhyte said:
Sailesh and Ebbie,

Thanks for the links, but it looks like we're not entitled to anything. The baby bonus only seems to be paid if your income reduces or some such criteria and is a token $500 I think.

I thought there was a one off birth bonus of around $3K that you were paid when you had a baby. Guess I was wrong... I might look into it a bit more once our new additiona arrives.

Thanks anyway,
Michael.

You get $500 pa until the year the child turns 5 - i.e. 6 years = $3000
I believe it was done in this way so to encourage the money to be spent "for its intended purpose".

My reading is that the TAXABLE income must have reduced IF it is above $25k. May need to get a definition of "reduced" - i.e. does it have to be because of the baby. What happens if you suddenly decide to prepay a mountain of interest and take out other tax advantaged products.....

Cheers,

The Y-man

The Y-man said:
You get $500 pa until the year the child turns 5 - i.e. 6 years = $3000
I believe it was done in this way so to encourage the money to be spent "for its intended purpose".

My reading is that the TAXABLE income must have reduced IF it is above $25k. May need to get a definition of "reduced" - i.e. does it have to be because of the baby. What happens if you suddenly decide to prepay a mountain of interest and take out other tax advantaged products.....

Cheers,

The Y-man

From the Family Assistance website.......

A Maternity Payment of $3000 is available to families to help with the costs of a new baby born on or after 1 July 2004 (including stillborn babies). This means a mother who gives birth to twins would get $6000. This payment is made as a lump sum, and is not income tested. By July 2006 this payment will increase to $4000 and by July 2008, it will increase to $5000, payable to the family at the birth or adoption of a baby.

Back