A question for the girls - How much clothes do you have in your wardrobe?

Looks like everyone is off to sort out their wardrobes now :D

nah - i cull every 4-5 months and get rid of anything i haven't worn in the previous 18 months.

i'm also really fussy with clothes and unless it looks "spot on" i won't buy. makes shopping really hard. i like shopping but so often i can never find anything i like.

so - head count:

dresses - winter 2, summer 10 (i like maxi dresses!), office 5, cocktail 5
skirts - 5
tops (including shirts) - 7
pants (including jeans and 3/4) - 5
winter tops/jumpers - 11
shoes (pr) - 2 dress, 2 sandal, 1 tall boot, 1 ugg, 1 jogger

plus a dozen singlet tops and long sleeve t-shirts for under under jumpers etc ... and 3 sets of painting clothes.

oh - don't forget the coats. for a moderate climate i have a bit of a coat fettish.

long coats - 7
short coats - 6

I have way too many clothes - most of them daggy things with holes in that I wear around the house everyday. But I also have 'nice' quality clothes in 3 different sizes: 10, 12, and 14. Thing is they are really good expensive clothes and I keep on going up and down those sizes evertime I have another baby.

No idea - but it all fits into three large suitcases.
Large number of athletic tops for running, riding, kayaking, etc
Several more for when I'm MC'ing events
Weekday work clothes (conservative banker style stuff - although I try to avoid anything that requires ironing so only have a few proper business shirts, rest just go nicely under a suit)
Couple of suits, couple of pairs of nice pants
four nice dresses (ranging from nicely smart casual to formal)
couple of skirts (work, casual etc)
Shorts etc for running, mountain biking etc
Pants for MC'ing events (typical zip off travel style pants in khaki)

Between hubby and I we go through around six sets of clothes per day (commute to work (ride), work clothes (suits), run or gym at lunch or after work)
Throw in the weekend job of outdoor events and it gets interesting

At least a lot of our athletic/outdoor gear we've been given either as test dummys or sponsored.
I keep a lot of stuff if I like it and it still fits (have things I bought 12 years ago), but also tend to do a big cull every couple of years.

most of them daggy things with holes in that I wear around the house

even with babies/kids i refused to look daggy - doesn't take much to throw on a nice no-iron maxi-dress in summer or a smart long skirt/jeans and jumper/shirt-with-belt in winter, and look fab.

i often get asked if i'm going out somewhere, but no, "just doing the school run and cleaning the house". :)

much be some french heritage in there somewhere. also, partially, comes from knowing what looks good on you, so you only buy what looks good (makes shopping even harder).

for those that want to know "dress like a star" is a brilliant australian book on working out what style of clothes suit you best - followed by my second fav fashion book of "two lipsticks and a lover; unleash your inner french woman".

Last edited:
Wow! I can now show my boyfriend that I don't have enough clothes, I keep telling him I need more!

I don't know how many tops, although I have two drawers full of them, I have 7 pairs of jeans, 6 maxi dresses and lot of shoes! Basically a large tallboy and almost a full walk in robe, after all I had to leave the boyfriend some space for his clothing :D

Although if you asked me before I moved out of home I had much more! I threw out 3 or 4 large bags of clothes the first time I moved then a further two when I moved in with James.

even with babies/kids i refused to look daggy - doesn't take much to throw on a nice no-iron maxi-dress in summer or a smart long skirt/jeans and jumper/shirt-with-belt in winter, and look fab.

i often get asked if i'm going out somewhere, but no, "just doing the school run and cleaning the house".

much be some french heritage in there somewhere. also, partically, comes from knowing what looks good on you, so you only buy what looks good (makes shopping even harder).

for those that want to know "dress like a star" is a brilliant australian book on working out what style of clothes suit you best - followed by my second fav fashion book of "two lipsticks and a lover; unleash your inner french woman".

I don't see the point in wearing good clothing when I am going to be thrown up on, fingerpainted, covering baking ingredients, slobbered, pee'd or perked on by the dogs / kids. Just like I wouldn't send the kids out to play in the backyard in their good clothes. I would much rather wear my designer stuff where people get to see and admire me. ;)

How many people launder their clothes after wearing it only once..and not dirty?

I may not (sometimes do) wear the same shirt and pants in a row, but if I don't I will set them aside and alternate with other "clean" worn clothes.

I do not see the sense in laundering clothes that are not dirty.
Underwear excluded....

I don't see the point in wearing good clothing when I am going to be thrown up on, fingerpainted, covering baking ingredients, slobbered, pee'd or perked on by the dogs / kids. Just like I wouldn't send the kids out to play in the backyard in their good clothes. I would much rather wear my designer stuff where people get to see and admire me. ;)

haha - i completely understand ... but i don't designer either. :D actually, i don't own anything with a "label" on it. nothing wrong with picking out a well cut, no iron, throw in wash something from target that looks good.

i like no-iron, throw in wash clothes ... which is great if you're going to be pucked on, floured on, grass sliding on ...

i also like to shop well. bought a great dress yesterday marked down from $168 to $50. ooops - letting my trade secrets out!

nah - i cull every 4-5 months and get rid of anything i haven't worn in the previous 18 months.

i'm also really fussy with clothes and unless it looks "spot on" i won't buy. makes shopping really hard. i like shopping but so often i can never find anything i like.

so - head count:

dresses - winter 2, summer 10 (i like maxi dresses!), office 5, cocktail 5
skirts - 5
tops (including shirts) - 7
pants (including jeans and 3/4) - 5
winter tops/jumpers - 11
shoes (pr) - 2 dress, 2 sandal, 1 tall boot, 1 ugg, 1 jogger

plus a dozen singlet tops and long sleeve t-shirts for under under jumpers etc ... and 3 sets of painting clothes.

oh - don't forget the coats. for a moderate climate i have a bit of a coat fettish.

long coats - 7
short coats - 6

I'm going back to cull gain. I obviously didn't do it well enough.:D:D (except for the coats)

5 pairs of pants? I'd have to wear the same ones every week. I didn't think I had a lot of winter clothes. It's difficult trying to vary what I have so it doesn't look like I'm wearing the same thing to work each week.
As the weather is warming up I wore a dress last week. The kids said I looked really nice.:D I can't believe how observant 6 year olds are. One girl said (of my summer shoes). "you haven't worn those for a long time".

I don't have much stuff - probably have about 20% of the wardrobe space is mine. In my zone, there is a shelf that is completely empty. It's about a metre wide. There is nothing on it. I do it deliberately because I know it drives my wife nuts that I have that empty space.
Scott

it drives my wife nuts that I have that empty space.
Scott

ba*st*rd :D

actually - i think hubby has more clothes than i, but thats because he went from office to onsite, so still have has dozens of office shirts.

i refuse to buy for him now, unless he asks for something.

Last edited:
My better half's nick name is Imelda.

Closet or should I say clothes room space is 98% hers and 2% mine BUT the garage is 100% mine.

Back