A skill mastered to it's fullest degree - awesome

I am not a huge martial arts follower but I love this guy. Not only is he exceptionally good looking (agree ladies?) but he just has an awesome energy and is a prime example of human capabilities when you apply focus and intention to an area of interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NPHDF4jIPo&feature=related

Interesting, but useless in real world situations. I have seen videos where these types of martial artists come up against mixed martial arts (MMA) fighters and go down hard!

Having said that, watching the masters of Aikido is a joy, they are so graceful :)

Search for "Aikido Demonstration" on YouTube and watch a few!

If there's one skill that when mastered makes my spirit soar, it's watching a virtuoso play electric guitar. The things some of the true electric guitar greats can do is spine-tinglingly special.

I play guitar, and whenever I feel I am starting to on top it, I go watch some Satriani, or Vai, or Eric Johnson, or Paul Gilbert, or... to remind myself how pathetically unskilled I really am!

Interesting, but useless in real world situations. I have seen videos where these types of martial artists come up against mixed martial arts (MMA) fighters and go down hard!

Not that I think this guy is all that crash hot, but have a closer look at MMA and you will find many of the finer ninjutsu teachings are and have always been banned.
That's right they were banned from the very first UFCs that were started by the Gracies touted as "no rules" but had plenty of them.
After the first 6, plenty more rules were introduced.
Some of it came under the category of "small joint manipulation". Look it up.

i've been up against many and there is a big difference between a tournament style martial artist (tan tae kwon do, judo, yoseikan etc) and a true martial artist (kung fu, any kind of 'ju' ryu etc).

a "black belt" is a show that you have mastered the basics and can now learn the true style.

Not that I think this guy is all that crash hot, but have a closer look at MMA and you will find many of the finer ninjutsu teachings are and have always been banned.
That's right they were banned from the very first UFCs that were started by the Gracies touted as "no rules" but had plenty of them.
After the first 6, plenty more rules were introduced.
Some of it came under the category of "small joint manipulation". Look it up.

a lot of those aikido videos do nothing for me, either.

there's no follow through, no form, just stick-your-arm-out-and-let-me-throw-you-watch-this-i'm-a-master.....

i've been up against many and there is a big difference between a tournament style martial artist (tan tae kwon do, judo, yoseikan etc) and a true martial artist (kung fu, any kind of 'ju' ryu etc).

+1. I did quite a bit of Wing Chun Kung Fu as a younger man, and moves were only practised in isolation while learning a technique. Once a technique was learned, we were expected to work it in to the general sparring that arose from the sticky hands exercises. The main aim was always to strike (hard) into a weak point.

+1. I did quite a bit of Wing Chun Kung Fu as a younger man, and moves were only practised in isolation while learning a technique. Once a technique was learned, we were expected to work it in to the general sparring that arose from the sticky hands exercises. The main aim was always to strike (hard) into a weak point.

the best experience for me was dojo fighting followed very closely by inter-club tournament.

after a while it's very easy to read people and their movement so being exposed to other styles and clubs was a nice way to keep me on my toes.

If there's one skill that when mastered makes my spirit soar, it's watching a virtuoso play electric guitar. The things some of the true electric guitar greats can do is spine-tinglingly special.

I play guitar, and whenever I feel I am starting to on top it, I go watch some Satriani, or Vai, or Eric Johnson, or Paul Gilbert, or... to remind myself how pathetically unskilled I really am!

Yeh, Rock On! (where's the rock on smiley?) I do like to play. I'll probably enjoy making them than playing them in the future though.

With martial arts, I'm more into Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan (younger days), Jet Li and younger Steven Seagal. Mostly for entertainment. Oh and those little dudes that beat the crap out of Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson in 'Welcome to the Jungle'.

might be abit hard to apply small joint manipulation when u get double legged and punched in the face a few times

You may have noticed that the grapplers won over the punchers & leggers.
If you cant grapple you dont stand a chance in mma.
There's a reason they tap out when their arm is a little twisted, it's just about to break in 2.

Pro level MMA you need everything now days. But people with a strong wrestling background seem to be more dominate (on average) then fighters with strengths in other areas (striking/submission).

I've watched countless fights where the "High level BJJ blackbelt" gets dominated for 15 mins by a wrestler on the ground. Also wrestling gives you the option to choose were you want the fight to take place (on feet, ground).

Here is one for you Piston, their is still one dude who is totally one dimensional and doing well at the elite level (only has a submission game basically, crap at striking). He's only a light weight but has the grip strength of a small bear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYtCASGseEc&feature=related

In this fight he snaps his opponents arm (opponent refuses to tap). Note tho for anyone else watching, this is very rare (person's limb being broken from a submission) and the after fight behavior is not common (he was disciplined for it)

I disagree that this man is exceptionally good looking. *I* am more good looking than this man. hmpf! (I'm pouting)

...yes I love myself :D

anyway after more than a few brawls personal experience, that kind of thinking goes out of your head in the moment. Good luck to anyone who can put those thoughts together while punches are raining down - very different situation I can assure you. "use friction and hit his nerves" yeah right, you end up taking his rear leg down whilst simultanously trying to plant his head into concrete in an effort to smear brains on the floor. My personal fave technique is to block punches with the top of my head. Last similar situation (headlock) the guy realised he was punching a coconut and gave up. Worked. He even apologised after. My buddies still give me hell over it

MAAAAAATE!!

I'm hearin ya!

I love the classic lead guitar bit.

Don't get me started on Mark Knoffler, Carlos Santana, Jimmy (Hendrix), Slash, all of your blokes, and so on.

Love any Eagles stuff. Am I an old b@stard or what?

One of my favourite pieces is a Carlos Santana song called "Earth's Cry, Heaven's Smile.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBDLQZgntYE

Enjoy! Turn it up real loud.

MAAAAAATE!!

I'm hearin ya!

I love the classic lead guitar bit.

Don't get me started on Mark Knoffler, Carlos Santana, Jimmy (Hendrix), Slash, all of your blokes, and so on.

Love any Eagles stuff. Am I an old b@stard or what?

One of my favourite pieces is a Carlos Santana song called "Earth's Cry, Heaven's Smile.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBDLQZgntYE

Enjoy! Turn it up real loud.

You might like this, it worth the listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh3bleXWaCk
Funkadelics

Back