A story to keep us all inspired

Yes, Its an excellent attitude to have when you play sport. thats an undisputed fact.

In investing, too much confidence is dangerous. The market doesn't know you and the market doesnt owe you.

And lack of confidence in yourself and you own abilities is good ?

The market doesn't have to know you, or owe you. You have to do your own thing. Ever notice how much people achieve when they stand still. (I'm not talking here about meditating :) )

Sport or no sport, confidence in yourself is essential. (Not over-confidence, cockiness, or big-headidness), The ability to back yourself in anything you take on. I have seen people take a good system and make it fail, and I have seen people take a bad system and make it work. It wasn't the system that made the difference. It was the people involved, and their drive to achieve, regardless, and their confidence in their own ability. :)
Actually a delight to see.

jahn

Jahn
Why do you take what I say and twist it to make it seem like I'm saying the opposite.

I say overconfidence is bad - so you assume I'm saying underconfidence is therefore good.

I say property investment is bad at the moment - so you assume I'm saying shares are good.

I say that its possible for prices to fall and that it has happened in Japan, HongKong etc and you think that means I'm suggesting that prices WILL fall just because its happened in these places.

PLease read what I write. Just because I say something isnt black that doesnt mean its white.

Your post.-
"When you mix this confidence with investing it can cause big problems."

Where does this get twisted ?

Sorry about the others, I assumed that when you were bailing out of property and relating how much you have gained from shares, that it was a bit like promoting one against the other.

A bit like assuming that because there was a boom, there must be a bust (as in shares)

I assumed that because you stated that you were not a doomsayer, just the opposite, because you were stating that property would be more affordable in the future because of the decline in prices, that it meant prices will fall.
My mistake, and I'm going grey.

jahn

"When you mix this confidence with investing it can cause big problems."

Where does this get twisted ?

It gets twisted when you come back with this -

"And lack of confidence in yourself and you own abilities is good ?"

Like I said, it seems to be black or white with you.

And then you do it again
because you were stating that property would be more affordable in the future because of the decline in prices, that it meant prices will fall.
My mistake, and I'm going grey.

I said beeing a doomsayer depended on what side of the fence you are sitting on. Sorry about the weatherman example again but if he says its going to rain on the weekend he is forecasting a negative outlook for the beachgoer but a positive one for the farmer. If prices come down there will be a lot of young people who will be happy, as well as a lot of positively geared investors who can buy even more.
There is a difference between saying prices will come down and saying that the world will end.

L Burnham

So are you still saying you can not get good returns Cap growth right now? Say 20 - 30% this year in the property market?
And for those purchases to average say 8 - 9% for next 10 years.??

As the subject has gone off track a little..

cheers ocean

Hi all,

LB when you talk of property falling, which type of property are you talking about?? If it's apartments like the one you sold, then I couldn't agree more. But my impression has been that you are talking about ALL property.
If you need an example in Aus to work from, just use what happened to the units/townhouses that were built in Logan(qld) around the time of the expo in Bisbane. There some prices fell 60% from the original selling price as there was not the demand and many investors got burnt. But this is one section of the market, and I'm sure this will happen again, but not in areas where there is demand and supply is tight.

bye

Originally posted by L Bernham

Interestingly I have a mate who declined offers for his similar apartment in the same area about 8 months ago for around $330K. As he has had a change of heart he now wants to sell but had had no offers (priced at $340K) recently lowered to $320K and still has had no interest in around 2-3 weeks. He is talking about reducing it even more to $300K.
Seems to me the begininngs of a buyers market.

See my thread with one group's latest findings on Syd & Mel CBD unit markets being in decline :)

Note this is not a national trend, it's the overbuilt factor.

You chose the right time to buy & sell melb CBD units....given that buying at the low point of a prior cycle & holding the property until the next cycle peak would be better.

RE your shares figures:
Where do you get the 13% for shares long-term figure?
What is long-term defined as for this statistic?
Which period (years) do they calculate the statistic on?
Do they look at buying at the highest point & selling at the lowest point over the period or buying at the lowest & selling at the highest?
Do they include dividends - taking into account unfranked/partially franked dividend costs?
What basket of shares do they use to calculate the stat - or is it an ASX 100 / 200 figure?
Do they take into account brokerage fees?

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Back