A waste of our tax dollars

Earlier this year, we reserved a 2 bedroom mobile for a family that was coming from Newfoundland. The husband was starting a new job.
Their friends subsequently reserved the mobile, we also owned, next to this one, but they wouldn't be able to move into this until the current tenants moved out...12 days later.

The first set of tenants arrive, view the property, sign the lease, pay the prorated rent for the remainder of the month, and request to pay cash for the following month. We accept.

We receive a phone call a few hours later stating, the cheque they were expecting, was delayed, and requested the following month's rent back, but assured us rent would still be on time.
We returned it.

They have now discovered, this property is 50 minutes drive to work. (that isn't far)

The next day we received another phone call from these tenants. Their friends didn't like the place and they want released from the contract. They never moved their belongings into the mobile.We agreed to meet with them, and have them sign a paper, allowing us to rent to someone else, on their behalf (sublessee form) They are still responsible until their lease expires in one year. They sign.

Their friends are there now, and also state they won't be moving into the mobile next door, and want their bond back. We say no.They hadn't signed a lease, and the rules are a bit different.

We advertise the mobile again, and give the incentive of the remainder of the month 'rent free'. Sign a new tenant 5 days later, and they have been great tenants, thus far.

These former tenants send us many emails begging for their bond to be returned. We state at the end of the lease, should there be no issues with their subletters.

On Monday (2 months later) we receive a letter from the Building Inspector. He received a written complaint about the condition of this mobile. We know the current tenants hadn't complained, because we have attended to any concern they had. We find out, it is from these tenants who never moved in.

Building Inpector states, he is required to view, and we must give our current tenants 24 hrs notice of entry. He also knows it is because a tenant is upset, as that is why he is usually called out. He thinks it is a waste of time too.
Who pays for this? The taxpayer.

Rob was viewing the online student handbook for the uni students who may have issues with their landlords. The government tells them to call the Building Inspector first,as that will delay any eviction notice they get.
Who pays for this...taxpayers.

I asked the Building Inspector, if we made a complaint about anyone, would he need to inspect, he said yes.
I think they should require payment by the complainer, just like if they had a hearing at the Residential Tenancy Tribunal.

rant over :)

I had a similar thing happen, and it resulted in the property being vacant for 18 months.

Unfortunately, the rules are strongly in favour of tenants, and will get worse I believe.

That's all fine until it gets to a point where people won't bother with buying a resi IP anymore.

Pretty hard to pull the victim tenant shoit when there are loads of folk fighting over less IP's and you risk being turfed out into the street.

Last year we went thru similar problems.The tenant was trying to pull a scam on us. They moved in, paid 2 weeks rent, and when the next rent payment was due, claimed mold and not fit to live in. The carpenter had just finished repairs the day before they moved in..repainting, new flooring etc.

We know when a tenant is trying to get free rent, and so decided to tell them to just leave, if they didn't feel it was habitable. Well, that wasn't the answer they were looking for. They wanted to be paid off. We said no. They tried to blackmailed us with going to the local newspaper. We said "go for it'.

It's a long involved story, but to condense it, the newspaper didn't contact us, and ran with the tenant's story...then retracted when the true facts were presented, and also did a follow up, stating we had won the Residential Tenancy Hearing, and awarded 2 months of back rental arrears.

We even subpeona'd this particuar Building Inspection to appear on our behalf in Court, when the tenant took us to court (the case was dismissed, so he didn't have to appear)

The Sheriff is garnishing their wages, but the newspaper story is still available on the internet, which is where these tenants came up with the idea of going to the Building Inspector.

There isn't anything wrong with the property, so tomorrow's inspection doesn't concern us. It was needing to explain to the current tenant, that we need to enter to show the Inspector. It sets seeds into the minds of tenants, is this place uninhabitable...and we don't know it?

I agree Bayview, it will get worse, before it gets better.
The government provides very little accommodation, and relies on the private sector to provide it.

BTW, the renovations on your property look great.

Dazz would have a field day posting on these type of threads if he wasn't so busy nowadays :D

True.
Dazz can only play within the laws which govern his leases too.
He's had a lot of issues concerning his shoppong mall, which he also has very little control over.

I'd still take resi over commercial anyday.
Sometimes I just need to vent, and do appreciate SS allowing me the opportunity. :)

BTW...what is Dazz busy with?

Shrug.

You speak to landlords, who tell stories of bad tenants and say that the system is too in favour of tenants. You then speak to tenants who tell stories of bad landlords and vice versa etc etc.

Business as usual really?

Back