A where to now stage of my life?

I think this question fall under property finance…but it could also be investor psychology I guess, will leave that up to the moderators.

OK so here I am re-assessing my life at the age 44, having worked for 29 years, with one month to go on a job that has paid very well for the past 3 years, but consumed my time entirely…unemployment is looming, the monthly pay check is about to end...so an opportunity to take my life in a completely new direction is on the horizon.

So here is the basic plan/and financial situation:

Current assets/liabilities

PPOR – valued at $440,000 owing $11,000

IP1 – valued at $720,000 owing $410,000

IP2&3 (2 duplexes on one loan) valued at $1,020.000 – owing $360,000

IP4 – valued at $420,000 owing $165,000

So! Do I sell all my IP’s and walk away with $1.225.000 million in equity and pay a lot of CGT on that + selling cost etc? Not sure how much that would even be exactly, I guesstimate around the 300k mark? If I assume zero personal income for the year with a 50% CGT on the 1.2 million, as I have held all the properties for over a year. So that would leave me around $900000 to invest in something that will generate an income - shares/managed funds, cash funds etc…if I’m wrong on this sum then maybe I need to work out other options.

I really don’t want to work for the “man” again if possible?…going to try my hand as an artist for a while (something that I have always wanted to do…with zero income the expected outcome lol) and see how that goes, see more of my young son and enjoy the remaining years if it can be done. I don’t need a huge income or flash lifestyle, with a PPOR debt free and if I can generate $70K + a year I should be able to have a good lifestyle for my needs. I would hope that $900.000 would be able to generate between 8-15% per annum? So $70k + should be achievable.

Ok, so is there a better way to do it? Should I sell up? Have I got my sums wrong on the CGT situation? What would you do? I realize that this is a big question so I don’t expect a golden answer as everyone would be have different ideas and different expectations, but are my sums right, can I generate $70K + year some other way given that I will not be working and I don’t want be tied down by debt if I do the artist thing?

Lacasa

Yes, you can probably generate enough income to fund your lifestyle (assuming 70k is enough for you). But what happens in 10 years? You'd only be 54. Inflation (and investment risk) will decrease those returns. $70k in 10 years may not be enough to fund your lifestyle even if it doesn't change.

I forget the exact numbers but financial advisors generally say that to maintain a certain level of investment return you cannot consume all your returns because you have to allow for inflation?

If you really don't want to work for the man, how about taking some time off? Say 6-12 months, and see if you can still make enough returns to fund your lifestyle AND at least match inflation? I plan to do that eventually: build up more contacts and experience with investing, and then take a year off to invest full time. Then see how it goes.
Alex

G'day Lacasa,

Are you in the patch ??

If so, drop me a PM and we can arrange to meet up for a chinwag.

You have enormous possibilities and your options look good.

I think this question fall under property finance…but it could also be investor psychology I guess, will leave that up to the moderators.

OK so here I am re-assessing my life at the age 44, having worked for 29 years, with one month to go on a job that has paid very well for the past 3 years, but consumed my time entirely…unemployment is looming, the monthly pay check is about to end...so an opportunity to take my life in a completely new direction is on the horizon.

So here is the basic plan/and financial situation:

Current assets/liabilities

PPOR – valued at $440,000 owing $11,000

IP1 – valued at $720,000 owing $410,000

IP2&3 (2 duplexes on one loan) valued at $1,020.000 – owing $360,000

IP4 – valued at $420,000 owing $165,000

So! Do I sell all my IP’s and walk away with $1.225.000 million in equity and pay a lot of CGT on that + selling cost etc? Not sure how much that would even be exactly, I guesstimate around the 300k mark? If I assume zero personal income for the year with a 50% CGT on the 1.2 million, as I have held all the properties for over a year. So that would leave me around $900000 to invest in something that will generate an income - shares/managed funds, cash funds etc…if I’m wrong on this sum then maybe I need to work out other options.

I really don’t want to work for the “man” again if possible?…going to try my hand as an artist for a while (something that I have always wanted to do…with zero income the expected outcome lol) and see how that goes, see more of my young son and enjoy the remaining years if it can be done. I don’t need a huge income or flash lifestyle, with a PPOR debt free and if I can generate $70K + a year I should be able to have a good lifestyle for my needs. I would hope that $900.000 would be able to generate between 8-15% per annum? So $70k + should be achievable.

Ok, so is there a better way to do it? Should I sell up? Have I got my sums wrong on the CGT situation? What would you do? I realize that this is a big question so I don’t expect a golden answer as everyone would be have different ideas and different expectations, but are my sums right, can I generate $70K + year some other way given that I will not be working and I don’t want be tied down by debt if I do the artist thing?

Lacasa

Lacasa

With a portfolio of $2.6M in appreciating assets and $1.654M nett equity you could theoretically live off equity (LOE) depending on what level of non-taxable income you require to support your lifestyle.

You can also supplement LOE with part time work or others income methods.

Check out LOE in Michael Yardney's book, or search LOE in this forum, particularly Corsa's excellent post from 2006.

Good luck

Dazzling,

I’m O/S until the end of May, but I would appreciate the opportunity to have a chat sometime in June if the offer is still available? A seasoned investor’s point of view is always welcomed.

Alexlee,

Inflation is something that I did not consider; however, I don’t expect zero income from whatever I do for the next ten years even if I fail at the art side of things! But in a worst case scenario I guess I can always downsize the PPOR in get some cash flow from that.

The year off option is something that I did look at, but still have the big monthly mortgages to pay, plus living expenses…I think that might be more stress than I want at this stage.

Joe D,

I will do some research of the LOE situation. I did look at this a long time back, but could not quite get my head around the idea.

Lacasa

If you need to sell something you might not need to sell everything in the same financial year. I would think you have some good options.

If you're willing to stick it out at work for a few more years, you could purchase high growth properties which will have a resulting poor yield. Establish a line of credit (another loan) to pay for the shortfall.

You could get some really good houses which are growing fast (like the expensive inner suburbs of Melb) and not be out of pocket by using the LOC.

Then in 5 years time you could be sitting on an absolute mint!

By my calculation you could get $1mil at 80% lvr. You are well covered for capital gain by the property portfolio and I assume that it is neutrally geared ie the rents cover all the expenses including interest.

So based on these assumptions and the fact that you are looking for income of about $70k, you could look at some income funds.

This can be achieved easily without selling any assets. This is basically how I achieve the same. Take out the before mentioned LOC then using half to invest in a fund get a further margin loan for 50% of the money invested in the fund. Thus by doing this you will have $1mil invested in a fund and $500k left as a just in case.

With $1mil invested your costs should be about $85k and you should be able to get income of about $150k+ giving you the $70k you say you need.

I have been achieving these returns or better for the last 3 years.

Cheers

Living Off Equity - Hypothetical Scenario...

Hi Lacasa,

The total value of your investment properties is $2,160,000. If I assume a conservative rental yield of just 3.5%, this would be $75,600 per year in rental income. I'll work with this figure, but if your actual rent is higher than this, then things will work out even better...

Your total debts right now are $946,000. This should be costing you roughly $70,000 per year in interest. Overall, it would seem that your rents are roughly covering your interest payments. Your net worth (ignoring your PPOR) is $1,214,000.

If you sell your investment properties, you seem accepting of the idea that you could instantly lose $300,000 due to taxes. Have you also considered that you would then miss out on the future growth of these assets? This growth could be $150,000 to $200,000 per year (assuming 7% to 10% capital growth rate). Furthermore, this amount will average much more over time, due to the compounding nature of capital growth. It's also extremely likely that your rental returns will continue to increase over time, which is a further benefit for holding onto your properties.

Looking at your situation from a "Big Picture" perspective, here is what I see:

MONEY IN:
  1. Income from Rents = $75,600+ per year
  2. Capital Gains = $150,000+ per year
MONEY OUT:
  1. Interest Repayments = $70,000 per year
  2. Money to spend on lifestyle = $70,000 per year
The "Money In" more than covers the "Money Out", providing you are comfortable spending some of your future capital gains.

Do you feel your investment properties are well-located and likely to achieve reasonable future capital growth? There's no point holding onto a property if the combined Rental Income + Capital Growth doesn't exceed your holding costs (i.e. Interest + Expenses) for the period of ownership. Generally speaking, the longer the period of ownership (think 10 yrs vs 20 yrs vs 30 yrs, etc), the more likely you are to make a larger overall profit.

Assuming you believe your properties will acheive reasonable future growth, let's see what would happen if you are prepared to hold onto ALL of your properties for 10 more years... Specifically, just for fun here's a hypothetical management plan for the next 10 years:

• Set up a new loan, e.g. Line of Credit (LOC), with a limit of $700,000. This is to be used for the sole purpose of covering the next 10 years worth of interest repayments on your existing debt.
  • Use your Rental income as your lifestyle income. As rents increase over time, this will automatically help your lifestyle income keep up with inflation.
  • Enjoy the next 10 years, whilst occasionally reviewing your portfolio to see whether to sell a non-performing property and/or purchase another property from time to time.
If residential property prices double over this 10 year period, then even if you still own exactly the same properties in your portfolio, they should now be worth $4,320,000. You'll still have your existing debt of $946,000, plus will also owe $700,000 extra due to the LOC being used. In case you are wondering, the interest on your LOC could be paid by using a small portion of your rental income. This represents a new net worth position of $2,674,000, plus you're likely to have a yearly rental income of at least $150,000 (3.5% of property values) by this time. Allowing for the interest payments on the LOC, this should still leave you roughly $100,000 per annum in income at this point in time. (This should have similar spending power to $70,000 in "today's dollars".)

As you can see, by holding your investment properties an extra 10 years, it's possible you could achieve both a growing yearly income and also your wealth (i.e. net worth) has more than DOUBLED in this time! That's a pretty attractive combination, wouldn't you agree?! :)

Perhaps you'll decide to sell everything at this point in time and walk away with about $2.5 MILLION (less taxes), or maybe you'd rather do this all over again for another 10 years and become even wealthier... ;)

Once you get your head around it, Living Off Equity (LOE) can be an amazingly simple way to fund your lifestyle... Of course it's vital that you achieve sufficient future capital growth and it's extremely important to determine that you have enough initial capital base and net worth to make it feasible to begin with. If carefully managed, LOE can be a effective way to fund one's lifestyle, whilst still becoming wealthier over time. It's not without its risks, but then again it's not without its benefits either! :D

Anyway, regardless of what you decide to do I wish you every success in the future...

Jason.

Important: What I have written above is just for discussion purposes only and is NOT to be considered as any form of advice.

Far out you write like Steve Navra!

Nice post.
Hi Lacasa,

The total value of your investment properties is $2,160,000. If I assume a conservative rental yield of just 3.5%, this would be $75,600 per year in rental income. I'll work with this figure, but if your actual rent is higher than this, then things will work out even better...

Your total debts right now are $946,000. This should be costing you roughly $70,000 per year in interest. Overall, it would seem that your rents are roughly covering your interest payments. Your net worth (ignoring your PPOR) is $1,214,000.

If you sell your investment properties, you seem accepting of the idea that you could instantly lose $300,000 due to taxes. Have you also considered that you would then miss out on the future growth of these assets? This growth could be $150,000 to $200,000 per year (assuming 7% to 10% capital growth rate). Furthermore, this amount will average much more over time, due to the compounding nature of capital growth. It's also extremely likely that your rental returns will continue to increase over time, which is a further benefit for holding onto your properties.

Looking at your situation from a "Big Picture" perspective, here is what I see:

MONEY IN:
  1. Income from Rents = $75,600+ per year
  2. Capital Gains = $150,000+ per year
MONEY OUT:
  1. Interest Repayments = $70,000 per year
  2. Money to spend on lifestyle = $70,000 per year
The "Money In" more than covers the "Money Out", providing you are comfortable spending some of your future capital gains.

Do you feel your investment properties are well-located and likely to achieve reasonable future capital growth? There's no point holding onto a property if the combined Rental Income + Capital Growth doesn't exceed your holding costs (i.e. Interest + Expenses) for the period of ownership. Generally speaking, the longer the period of ownership (think 10 yrs vs 20 yrs vs 30 yrs, etc), the more likely you are to make a larger overall profit.

Assuming you believe your properties will acheive reasonable future growth, let's see what would happen if you are prepared to hold onto ALL of your properties for 10 more years... Specifically, just for fun here's a hypothetical management plan for the next 10 years:
  • Set up a new loan, e.g. Line of Credit (LOC), with a limit of $700,000. This is to be used for the sole purpose of covering the next 10 years worth of interest repayments on your existing debt.
  • Use your Rental income as your lifestyle income. As rents increase over time, this will automatically help your lifestyle income keep up with inflation.
  • Enjoy the next 10 years, whilst occasionally reviewing your portfolio to see whether to sell a non-performing property and/or purchase another property from time to time.
If residential property prices double over this 10 year period, then even if you still own exactly the same properties in your portfolio, they should now be worth $4,320,000. You'll still have your existing debt of $946,000, plus will also owe $700,000 extra due to the LOC being used. In case you are wondering, the interest on your LOC could be paid by using a small portion of your rental income. This represents a new net worth position of $2,674,000, plus you're likely to have a yearly rental income of at least $150,000 (3.5% of property values) by this time. Allowing for the interest payments on the LOC, this should still leave you roughly $100,000 per annum in income at this point in time. (This should have similar spending power to $70,000 in "today's dollars".)

As you can see, by holding your investment properties an extra 10 years, it's possible you could achieve both a growing yearly income and also your wealth (i.e. net worth) has more than DOUBLED in this time! That's a pretty attractive combination, wouldn't you agree?! :)

Perhaps you'll decide to sell everything at this point in time and walk away with about $2.5 MILLION (less taxes), or maybe you'd rather do this all over again for another 10 years and become even wealthier... ;)

Once you get your head around it, Living Off Equity (LOE) can be an amazingly simple way to fund your lifestyle... Of course it's vital that you achieve sufficient future capital growth and it's extremely important to determine that you have enough initial capital base and net worth to make it feasible to begin with. If carefully managed, LOE can be a effective way to fund one's lifestyle, whilst still becoming wealthier over time. It's not without its risks, but then again it's not without its benefits either! :D

Anyway, regardless of what you decide to do I wish you every success in the future...

Jason.

Important: What I have written above is just for discussion purposes only and is NOT to be considered as any form of advice.

Synapse
Well done, very well written, i agree could be reading something from Steve Navra. Welcome to the forum, I love all things LOE, I agree Lacassa has the right ingredients to harvest equity for a great lifestyle.
Good luck

Synapsy,

Excellent post and thank you for taking the time to explain this subject. I’m definitely looking at LOE closely and still getting my head around it. Joe D, sent me a very good spreadsheet which also helped tremendously.

A couple of questions come to mind.

Do you calculate the cost of holding the properties, ie property managers fees, maintenance, insurance, rates, land tax etc. Additionally, what about the income tax on rental income? By my calculations, which by the way are very rough, I think I would get about $55 000 net in income from the rents (my actual gross rental income is $70 000 so a little less than you figures). I though LOE was tax free since it comes from borrowed funds? I’m missing something badly here?

Cheers
Lacasa

Agree with the above members Synapse, great post as you've broken it down into an easy way to understand for most people

Do you also post at The Reno Kings and Century 21 Forums as I recall the name Synapse (from memory you had a great post regarding developing on the Reno Kings)?

Reminds me of Sims posts on InvestEd....lots of information without getting complicated;)

PS: for Shares andProperty search some of TomL's posts as well ;o)

Welcome to Somersoft

Last edited:
G'day Lacasa,
Do you calculate the cost of holding the properties, ie property managers fees, maintenance, insurance, rates, land tax etc. Additionally, what about the income tax on rental income? By my calculations, which by the way are very rough, I think I would get about $55 000 net in income from the rents (my actual gross rental income is $70 000 so a little less than you figures).
Everything that applied before still applies. It all comes down to "Are your IP's -ve or +ve geared. In your case, it sounds like they are slightly -ve geared - but, if commencing LOE, you are paying NO Tax, so you also won't be able to claim Tax relief on any deductions.

THAT would be the difference in a nutshell I reckon.

Lacasa said:
I thought LOE was tax free since it comes from borrowed funds? I’m missing something badly here?

As I understand it, any borrowings you make from Equity are NOT Taxable (as you are borrowing against your own wealth - NOT deriving an Income per se). But, your IP's (which MIGHT have been -ve geared) are not helping now in off-setting Tax paid - 'cos you haven't paid any !!

But, hey, I'm not there yet (LOE), so can't speak from experience - this is only OPINION - OK?

I'd say keep asking questions until you get your head around it. This (LOE) is a little bit "out of the norm" - thus there is not so much information "out there" about LOE.

Check out the Search function, using "SimonJulie" as the author's name - it should throw up HEAPS of useful threads re LOE.

Good luck with your search, Lacasa,

Regards,

Last edited:
Living off Equity... Tax Effectively!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I don't specifically recall reading any of Steve Navra's posts as yet, but shall look him up sometime soon for my curiousity... :)

redwing: Yes, I have spent quite a lot of time writing posts in various forums in recent years. I've been a little quiet lately, but am delighted to have come onboard as a registered member of this forum. It has quickly become obvious there are so many genuinely helpful members here who are willing to share a lot of useful information... It's an honour to be a part of such a great community and I will do my best to be a positive contributor periodically as time permits. I'm learning heaps myself too, so it's all good!

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...

Lacasa, here are my responses to your questions:

Q. Do you calculate the cost of holding the properties, ie property managers fees, maintenance, insurance, rates, land tax etc.

A. Yes, although personally I like to simplify how I look at the expenses by just considering that I have a little less rent available when I do my calculations. Let's look at the individual expenses you've mentioned, along with one way of simplifying things. I'll start by using some hypothetical percentages (it should make sense why I do this as you continue to read):

8% of rent = Property Management Fees
4% of rent = Insurance
9% of rent = Council Rates
9% of rent = Repairs/Mantenance
2% of rent = Land Tax

It's not that difficult to work out these percentages based on your current portfolio (either property by property, or across your whole portfolio). For example, if you know your Council Rates are $400 per quarter ($1,600 p.a.) on a property that rents for $340 per week ($17,680 p.a.) then you can calculate $1,600 / $17,680 * 100 and this would be about 9%. To determine Repairs/Maintenance, you could either make an educated guess or alternately base it on the amounts you've claimed in previous financial years (perhaps allowing a small increase to cover inflation). As for Land Tax, for future purchases it's worth seeing if you can reduce this by spreading ownership of your properties amongst different entities, e.g. You, Your Spouse (if applicable), Companies/Trusts (check your State laws to find out more).

Looking at the example percentages given above, the total of the expenses adds up to 32% of the rental income. Let's call it one-third to be conservative (this allows for a small vacany factor). Here's the point - If I can still see my LOE strategy working if I only include two-thirds of the rental income for the relevant period, then this gives me enough peace of mind that I don't need to worry about the details. It's as easy as that! :)

I'll admit this is quite a different way of looking at things, especially for anyone who is used to keeping a strict budget and trying to track each and every dollar being spent. Now-a-days, I'm much happier to simplify things whenever possible and feel very comfortable just knowing that I'm heading in the right direction. I actually used to be one of the most analytical people I knew, but having seen what works for me and what doesn't, I realised that the areas I was spending the most time analysing often weren't bringing in the money. It made a lot of sense to narrow my focus down to the key areas that gave me positive results. As my experience continued to grow over time, I've realised it's just as much about "dropping what doesn't work" as it is about "doing what does work". OK, back to topic again...

Q. Additionally, what about the income tax on rental income? By my calculations, which by the way are very rough, I think I would get about $55 000 net in income from the rents (my actual gross rental income is $70 000 so a little less than you figures)

A. Rental income is definitely taxable, but remember that the interest on the debt used to acquire your rental properties should be tax deductable (along with any interest on borrowed money used to pay for your investment property expenses, if applicable). On top of this, the amount you pay for your IP's Council Rates, Insurance, Property Manager's fees, Repairs/Maintenance and Land Tax (plus allowances for depreciation) should give you even more tax deductions. I don't think you'll have a tax problem at all!! (OK, I admit it'll be a different story if you decide to sell one or more of your properties and realise a large capital gain - but at least CGT can be deferred virtually indefinitely, if you choose not to sell!) ;)

Q. I though LOE was tax free since it comes from borrowed funds? I’m missing something badly here?

A. It's true that you don't pay tax on the actual borrowed funds, but it depends on the purpose (i.e. usage) of those borrowed funds as to whether or not the loan can be considered tax deductable. I've read about how others live off equity by borrowing additional funds to spend on their lifestyle. I don't believe this approach is as efficient as it could be, as there's no rational way you could ever justify this as a tax deductable purpose.

My preference is to fund my lifestyle by using as much of my rental income as I need to live comfortably. This way, when I do borrow extra funds, it's usually for only one of four possible reasons:
  1. To pay my investment property expenses (e.g. Rates, Insurance, Repairs/Maintenance, Land Tax, Adding Value, Advertising).
  2. To use for more investing.
  3. To pay taxation bills.
  4. To make up the shortfall between the rent I didn't spend on living expenses and my loan repayments.
Interest payable on funds borrowed for #1, #2 & #3 should be tax deductable by anyone's interpretation of our taxation system. Interest on #4 may, or may not, be deductable, depending on how you've structured things. Assuming that you take the conservative approach and don't claim a tax deduction for the interest on #4, I'd call this a small price to pay for the benefits of having a working LOE strategy in place.

Let's also consider what you could do if you decide to occasionally sell one of your properties (I'm personally willing to sell one property per financial year as a general rule of thumb, although part of my strategy means that if I sell one property then I must commit to at least another two so that I keep my asset base growing). Once an investment property is sold, couldn't you use the sales proceeds as follows:
  • Firstly - Pay out the loan relevant to this property.
  • Secondly - Pay out as much of the loan used for #4 as possible, therefore minimising your non-deductable debt with the equity you release each time you sell a property.
Then, when you lodge your tax return a year or so later and suddenly realise you have a big CGT bill that you "forgot" to budget for, couldn't you borrow extra to pay this and then claim the interest on this loan as a tax deduction (as per #3 above)? I'm not an accountant (and I'm not suggesting this particular approach, because you're not supposed to be implementing a strategy with the primary motivation of reducing the ATO's revenue), but I believe within the scope of our tax laws (along with the help of a good accountant), this may be justified from time to time and could help your LOE strategy become extremely tax effective! :D

Having said all that, allow me to conclude by saying this:

You don't need to have all the answers right from the day you start living off equity.

I started LOE back in 2002 quite accidentally, just by thinking that I'd release some equity to have a year off work so I could decide what I wanted to do next. Before the year was up, something "clicked" for me and I realised that I actually didn't need to go back to work! Specifically, it became clear that I could still continue to grow my wealth through a mix of passive & active investing, underpinned by living off equity for the foreseeable future.

Over the last 5 years, I've gradually been refining things each financial year to make my LOE strategy more and more efficient based on my circumstances. Sometimes, waiting until you have the "perfect" strategy (does such a thing even exist?!) and all the answers to your questions might mean you end up stuck on the side-lines whilst someone else with very little knowledge is making more money, just because they are "in the game" so to speak.

Don't get me wrong, it's important to have some idea of what you are getting yourself into, in particular knowing how to manage the risks as best you can. All that I am saying is don't let too much self-education be an excuse to keep you at the starting line, waiting forever for the perfect moment to begin. Having read hundreds of books, attended plenty of seminars and spent countless hours pondering everything, I believe I can honestly say that I've learnt the most by giving things a go myself and then learning along the way. Once you get going, then continuing your self-education becomes much more relevant and is definitely one of the best things you can do to keep yourself on track and improving.

Anyway, I'd better stop at that or this post is going to get way too huge!

I hope this has been of some value... :)

Jason.

Jason,

Agreed about the trying things. I don't learn anything till I have burnt my fingers on the hot stove, often not even then.

I hope you continue to add more posts, reading such contributions makes spending so much time on bulletin board worthwhile (kinda).

I like the % idea for expenses, never considered it that way before, I will have a look at mine and post what I find.

Synapsy,

Ok I’m trying to work out the nuts and bolts of how this works and what I would be up for each month/year…this is probably all wrong so bear with me!

As you said, LOC pays the monthly mortgage payment on $946 000 @ say 7.5% =$5912 or $70950 per annum.

This annual mortgage cost of $70950 is paid by drawing down from my LOC, so $70950 @ say 8% LOC = $5676 per annum is that right? This $5676 would be covered from the rental returns. So this system is basically like a debit card on a regular mortgage? in which I keep adding the cost of repayments to my credit line and only pay a minimum repayment? Of course I have to be aware that my debt level is increasing each month as I’m paying the original mortgage with borrowed money? This would mean that I have to be comfortable that notion and be aware that I’m relaying on time and past historical house price equity gains to outpace the debt increases, and that interest rates will remain under control and we don’t see the 15% rate I had on my very first property?

Now the second year works out like this I think? 946 000 + the $70950 LOC funds that have been drawn down for the first year = $1,016.950. The second year annual repayment on the LOC is $1,016.950 = $76271, again drawdown this amount form the LOC and pay the minimum repayment on $76271 = $5720 for the second year…keep doing this until the LOC is consumed?

So the debt increases along the lines of the very rough table below, if I have the bit above correct!

Original IP Loans + LOC cost | Annual Drawdown From LOC ($700000) |= Annual LOC interest repayment (Paid from Rents) |Rent Less expenses = LOE

Year1 - $946 000 + $70950 = $1,016.950 | @ 8% = $76 271 | = $5676 | $70000 – 5676 – 30% = $45026 – income tax

Year2 - $1,016.950 + $76 271 = $1,093.221 | @ 8% = $87 457 | = $6996 | $72500 – 6696 – 30% =$46062 – income tax

Year3 - $1,093.221 + $87 457 = $1,180.678 | @ 9% = $94 454 | = $8500 $75000 – 8500 – 30% = $46550 – income tax

Year4 - $1,180.678 + $94 454 = $1,275.132 | @ 9% = $114 761 | = $10328 |$77600 – 10328 - 30% = $47090 - income tax

Year5 - $1,275.132 + $114 761 = $1,389.893 | @ 8.5% = $118 140 | = $10041 | $80000 – 10041 – 30% = $48770 – income tax

Year6 - $1,389.893 + $118 140 = $1,508.033 | @ 7.5% = $113 102 | = $8482 | $82800 – 8482 – 30% = $52022 – income tax

Year7 - $1,508.033 + $113 102 = $1,621.135 | @7% = $113 479 | = $7943 $85600 -7943 – 30% = $54359 – income tax

LOC consumed at 7 years in this example

This means at the end of 7 years I owe 946 000 + 717 664 = $1,663.664. If we assume a CG of 5% per annum for 7 years (on $2,160.000) the value of the portfolio has risen to about $3,000.000 and equity would know be just over $3,000.000 - $1,663.664 = $1,336.336.

So the option now would be to sell properties and pay out loans? Or top up the LOC and keep going?

OK that all taxed my brain way to much…are my figures and interpretations of LOE all wrong???

I can see the benefits over 10+ years, but also the risk if consistent Capital Gains are not achieved and/or interest rates increase above 10% for a few years.

Thanks again for all the info.

Lacasa

G'day Lacasa,

Just two points:-

1. If you are expecting to pay Interest of (average) 8%, don't expect to LOE if growth is 5% - over 7 years. As I understand it, LOE works best when Growth EQUALS OR EXCEEDS Interest paid..... And some properties are aligned that way - others are not (which are yours?).

2. With a rental return of ~6%, I would sincerely hope your properties would be more growth oriented (9 - 10%, rather than 5%).

Of course, when starting out in uncharted waters, it pays to be a little conservative - that way, most surprises are good ones.

As I said before, I'm not quite there yet, so LOE is currently a muse to me - I am hopeful it will work for me too, but I'm not quite there yet. But I keep reading, considering, and thinking (as you seem to be too). Good luck in your search,

Regards,

Back