Abolish negative gearing

Very well said Kristine, I completely agree. There's a lot more going on here than simply 'the rich getting a tax break'.

Which, we all know is the mentality of the poor.

My SIL used to be poor - a pot smoking, dole bludging waste of air with a really bad attitude towards the world.

Her and the ex-boyfriend used to actively show contempt for the rich, (my wife and I were deemed by them to be in this bunch they hated at the time as well). He was of the blue singlet, beer swilling, tatt covered, bike ridin' blue collar, down the pub biki/bogan brigade with the victim mentality, hated asians...you get the picture.

Their favourite description for rich people was....... "rich c*nts".

Fast forward 10 years; she is now a home owner (and is subdividing her block), has gotten rid of the boyfriend and his ilk, has a good steady job.

She is now one of our best friends and has the mindset that hey; life is ok and I am doing well. She now admires what the rich folk have achieved becuase she has seen what the cost of getting that way is.

stop it dazz - you've already got me cruising the realcommercial.com website!!

Indeed sir, it is a strange concept, but alas one that has long term merit.

Unfortunately, it involves the crucial step of conducting business with like minded business folk. This is where the whole salad bowl falls away with residential property.

The people you end up doing business with are primarily concerned with ;

• skipping out and not paying anything when on semester breaks
  • not walking too far to hang out the washing
  • somewhere that feels safe
  • will accomodate their caravan and / or boat
  • a kitchen that their friends will be impressed with

Alas, the nett yield payable based on the worth of the asset doesn't rate a mention.

It basically boils down to completely unaligned goals between the two parties to the Leasing contract.

Their favourite description for rich people was....... "rich c*nts".
LOL, you've reminded me of one of my favourite family stories. In about 1975, my grandparents had a very nice Mercedes Benz. I remember how immaculately it was kept. My grandfather always wore a suit, tie, and a hat with a feather in it, to drive it to the shops. When we got home, he'd get "very casual" and take the coat off - sometimes even loosening the tie and rolling his sleeves up a little - to wash and wax the car, which was done every time the car left the garage.

Anyway, one day, vandals got to it with keys and scratched "RICH C*NTS" on the side of it.

The hilarious part is that my grandmother had never heard that word, and had no idea what it meant, nor did she even appreciate that it wasn't appropriate to repeat the word in polite company.

My Mum reckons that she's heard Nanna tell the story of their car being vandalised at least a dozen times over the years, each time she says in her none-too-quiet voice: "they wrote 'rich c*nts'... whatever that means", and my Mum wants to die of embarrassment. She's now 92 and still drops the C-bomb every year or two, when something reminds her of this incident. :D

Forgive me for the digression, and thanks for the giggle. :)

LOL.... but I'm amazed your mother didn't quietly give her mum the heads up about what it meant :eek:
I said the same thing to Mum! Mum said that the first time, she hoped that perhaps it'd just never come up again. Then after the second time, amongst a group of other ladies who fancy themselves upper crust, Mum said "if I tell her now, she'll be mortified!" And the longer you leave it, the more this applies... so it's just been left to fester for nearly 40 years. LMAO
a 92yo dropping the C-bomb - priceless!!!!
Yes, especially when she thinks she's pretty refined and you'd never hear her say even mild swear words, it's hilarious. :D
That's sad and funny at the same time...
Don't be too sad; let's just say she's not exactly the "warm and cuddly" type. I wonder if Mum hasn't let it go all this time as a small revenge. ;)

Don't be too sad; let's just say she's not exactly the "warm and cuddly" type. I wonder if Mum hasn't let it go all this time as a small revenge. ;)

The sad bit: that there are people in the world who would deface a random stranger's property in such a 'personal' way for no reason.* :(

The funny bit: the rest of the story. :D

* I know the human capacity for violence and spite; as much as the human capacity for compassion.

Anyway, one day, vandals got to it with keys and scratched "RICH C*NTS" on the side of it.

Similar experience to this for me; A true story....

When I was about 25 I travelled (drove) to QLD to play on their pro-am golf circuit. Got up as far as Cairns.

Stayed away for about 7 months, my mate came with me; he caddied, we split the expenses and the prizemoney, but basically went broke in the process, so had to drive home.

On the way back, we hit a kangaroo at about 110km's in the dark, killed the kangaroo, and plowed the front of the car in. No money to keep driving and fix the damage, so drove it to the nearest servo and left it there. The owner promised to arrange a tow back next time a truck came through empty.

Long story short - we got back to Melb by bus (tickets paid for by my mate's Dad's credit card), and the car arrived back on a flatbed some 3 months later. It had no front grill, the bonnet was smashed in and tied down with a coathanger, and looked like a wreck, but was actually still driveable - just.

By this time, I had a job as the assistant Pro at a very private and prestigious Golf Club in the sandbelt in Melb. We had a big "guest day" event there one day; lots of high-end prestigious cars in the car park...and my shettheap.

I got in the car to drive home at the end of the day and the battery was flat, so took the bus and left the car in the car park. So did half the golfers, who got drunk and either got taxis or had a lift home.

The next morning when I arrived to open the proshop early in the morning, there were about 25 luxurious cars - all wrecked - head lights smashed, sand in the petrol tanks, coined down the panels, windscreens cracked etc...

And my poor old Falcon XB heap was untouched!!

So, obviously some loser/s with a chip on their shoulder/s saw the cars, wrecked them out of jealousy or whatever, and took pity on the poor guy's beaten up Falcon XB.

I wonder if they were Landlords who did the damage?

Although I enjoy cars, the stories on this thread are one of the reasons I don't buy a really expensive machine. Not so much because someone might damage it, but simply because I don't want the attention. Getting wealthy is one thing, doing it conspicuously so others might decide they want a piece of you is another.

Although I enjoy cars, the stories on this thread are one of the reasons I don't buy a really expensive machine. Not so much because someone might damage it, but simply because I don't want the attention. Getting wealthy is one thing, doing it conspicuously so others might decide they want a piece of you is another.

i completely echo your sentiments.
Once i have a bit more money to my name.... i wont be buying a fancy car - i'll just get a decent car, something like a 2nd hand IS300, or an imported Toyota Chaser (aka, the turbo family sedan)

Similar experience to this for me; A true story....

When I was about 25 I travelled (drove) to QLD to play on their pro-am golf circuit. Got up as far as Cairns.

Stayed away for about 7 months, my mate came with me; he caddied, we split the expenses and the prizemoney, but basically went broke in the process, so had to drive home.

On the way back, we hit a kangaroo at about 110km's in the dark, killed the kangaroo, and plowed the front of the car in. No money to keep driving and fix the damage, so drove it to the nearest servo and left it there. The owner promised to arrange a tow back next time a truck came through empty.

Long story short - we got back to Melb by bus (tickets paid for by my mate's Dad's credit card), and the car arrived back on a flatbed some 3 months later. It had no front grill, the bonnet was smashed in and tied down with a coathanger, and looked like a wreck, but was actually still driveable - just.

By this time, I had a job as the assistant Pro at a very private and prestigious Golf Club in the sandbelt in Melb. We had a big "guest day" event there one day; lots of high-end prestigious cars in the car park...and my shettheap.

I got in the car to drive home at the end of the day and the battery was flat, so took the bus and left the car in the car park. So did half the golfers, who got drunk and either got taxis or had a lift home.

The next morning when I arrived to open the proshop early in the morning, there were about 25 luxurious cars - all wrecked - head lights smashed, sand in the petrol tanks, coined down the panels, windscreens cracked etc...

And my poor old Falcon XB heap was untouched!!

So, obviously some loser/s with a chip on their shoulder/s saw the cars, wrecked them out of jealousy or whatever, and took pity on the poor guy's beaten up Falcon XB.

I wonder if they were Landlords who did the damage?

It probably means they l.pooked at it and thought wwhat's the fkin pooint of damging a n already damaged car ? there's no fun in smashing it up and seeing the difference like with new looking cars

Of course they would not have been sucessful landlords, of coure they woudl have had less money and therfore a chiop on your shoulder

Why are you asking the question as if you are telling anyone anything they don't already know ?

Bayview,
Great story.
Did the luxury car owners get compensation from the insurance of the golf resort? Maybe you could have convinced them yours had been damaged too..and was fixed too?
(I know, you were probably honest like the rest of us, and wouldn't haven't even considered that )

Bayview,
Great story.
Did the luxury car owners get compensation from the insurance of the golf resort? Maybe you could have convinced them yours had been damaged too..and was fixed too?
(I know, you were probably honest like the rest of us, and wouldn't haven't even considered that )

Don't know. I guess they would all have had insurance.

I didn't have any other than yer basic 3rd party at the time - the car was only worth about $1k.

It probably means they l.pooked at it and thought wwhat's the fkin pooint of damging a n already damaged car ? there's no fun in smashing it up and seeing the difference like with new looking cars

Of course they would not have been sucessful landlords, of coure they woudl have had less money and therfore a chiop on your shoulder

Why are you asking the question as if you are telling anyone anything they don't already know ?

Well, they could have keyed every other panels, smashed every window, slashed all four tyres and filled the petrol tank with sand - like the other cars.....

The question was rhetorical really. It was my subliminal way of saying "Hey, guess what; the people who did the damage would have been low-life losers who hate the world and can't bear anyone else to be happy, but took pity on the poor fellow who is obviously in their same predicament and left me alone".

Clear enough for ya now?

Well, they could have keyed every other panels, smashed every window, slashed all four tyres and filled the petrol tank with sand - like the other cars.....

The question was rhetorical really. It was my subliminal way of saying "Hey, guess what; the people who did the damage would have been low-life losers who hate the world and can't bear anyone else to be happy, but took pity on the poor fellow who is obviously in their same predicament and left me alone".

Clear enough for ya now?

Seriously, it was really not that deep at all the first time that I couldn't get it. It was pretty simple & clear, even I could understand it.

Obviously though, you have trouble understanding my repsonses.

Must be my spelling or grammar I guess

Insurance investigators are experts in determining how old damage is, in the same way coroners can tell you how long a person's been dead for.

True, and my car had been wrecked from the kangaroo for about 9 months before this incident.

Add to that the fact that I hadn't washed it since we left Melb about a year earlier, and I'd say it would be hard to prove "new damage". :D

Similar thing happened to me when i first moved to the Central Coast in 2000. I had a nice, dark blue 1996 BMW 2 door couple (328is)

Got 2 bobbed within a fortnight. So disappointing. I got it fixed and sold it.

A young guy round the corner owned a nice sporty Merc (he had a very successful courier business in Sydney which he sold) and got the same treatment.

Very sad, this mindset.

Similar thing happened to me when i first moved to the Central Coast in 2000. I had a nice, dark blue 1996 BMW 2 door couple (328is)

Got 2 bobbed within a fortnight. So disappointing. I got it fixed and sold it.

A young guy round the corner owned a nice sporty Merc (he had a very successful courier business in Sydney which he sold) and got the same treatment.

Very sad, this mindset.

It doens't have to be a luxury brand either.

Friend of mine was a spraypainter. He worked on a not too new/not too old stationwagon, finishing off with the paintjob, neding up with a dark tined, beautiful blue colour paintjob which literally shone superbly, thanks to the multiple coats of clear paint oevr th blue pearl, sanded back between each coat. He spent ages on it....Can't remember how many months all up.

Took it out one night and parked across the street form the spot we were heading to. Come back - big coin scratch from the centre of the driver's door pretty much, across the back passenger door, along the body, in one straight line up to the fuel cap cover.

Back