Aboriginal cultural heritage overlay

From past discussion with colleagues, substantial disturbance was something like 120 m3 of excavation works.

If you drill down in the overlay you will find the extent of affectation eg: within 2km radius and the type of artifacts eg midden, cave paintings, tools etc.

consult with the aboriginal heritage officer at council.

I believe for about $5k you can get aboriginal elders to come out and decide whether it is aboriginal land or not. There was a period of 3 mths for them to do it and they came on the last day, walked around the block and then drove off, but they did say they werent interested in it. I dont know what level of overlay they had. Could be worth the money

As my understanding, if build 1 or 2 dwellings on the lot, the Aboriginal Heritage Act 2007 is not applied. Otherwise, this Act is applied and requires assessments before construction.

Has any one experienced building more than 2 dwellings on Aboriginal Heritage overlay lot?

A few times. It is only required if you are proposing 3 or more dwellings.

Generally, you won't require the full blown management plan if you are developing land that has been disturbed (Full plan could cost you between $15-30k).

You would get change from $4k for the initial assessment which is usually enough.

Yep - happened to me in Ardeer.

Absolutely con and money spinner in my opinion. Only applies to 3+ lots so that proves its a con and money spinner because if it was genuine, shouldnt matter if it was 1 or 20 - it would just need to get done.

Cheapest I could fine to get this done was around $8500. Was quoted crazy prices of $15-$30k by some very very arrogant and rude companies, they were so cocky and knew they could charge whatever they wanted because the developer had to pay in order to get a planning permit.

Speak to http://www.heritageinsight.com/ as that's who done mine and they done a brilliant job at a very reasonable price of around $8500 but that was back around 3 years ago so I don't know what they would charge now.

Good Luck!

Before this spins way out of control, remember to be respectful.

nidja Noongar boodjar. walla Wagyl keap.

If you go lower than an identified water table, you disturb Her or Her children.

You wouldn't allow a monument to be built over your family's graves, so have some respect.

I think this came through the wrong way Aaron.

I respect and understand the purpose but what I think is a con and money spinner is that they've chosen to only impose it on those with 3 lots or more - in my opinion if it's sacred aboriginal land, doesn't matter it's 1 lot or 20 lots the CHMP should need to be done full stop. I could build 1 mansion and not have to do the CHMP and potentially desecrate a holy site as well, that's where I'm coming from.

Then there are instances here where traditional aboriginal groups are both claiming it was their land and fighting over it so as part of the CHMP both groups need to come out and you need to pay for both.

Like I said, full respect for the Koori traditional land owners past and present but this whole CHMP process needs a more attention in my opinion!

Yep - happened to me in Ardeer.

Absolutely con and money spinner in my opinion. Only applies to 3+ lots so that proves its a con and money spinner because if it was genuine, shouldnt matter if it was 1 or 20 - it would just need to get done.

Cheapest I could fine to get this done was around $8500. Was quoted crazy prices of $15-$30k by some very very arrogant and rude companies, they were so cocky and knew they could charge whatever they wanted because the developer had to pay in order to get a planning permit.

Speak to http://www.heritageinsight.com/ as that's who done mine and they done a brilliant job at a very reasonable price of around $8500 but that was back around 3 years ago so I don't know what they would charge now.

Good Luck!

Thanks Ardeer

How long did it take you to complete Aboriginal Heritage Assessment Plan with heritageinsight?

Back