About millers point public housing sale

none of the 3 property for sale in Miller's Point sold yesterday. A sign of market cooling down?

http://news.domain.com.au/domain/re...ment-selloff-hits-a-snag-20141217-128pvj.html

I would take this with a pinch of salt. Why?

Government property NSW only emailed potential buyers that the auction would be postponed late Monday afternoon. Not many people would've been able to reschedule their plans for an auction next day. Also, 1 week before Xmas and school holidays might not be the best time to be doing an auction as many people could be travelling. Finally, the events that unfolded in Sydney on Monday could also have an effect with people staying away from that area.

I'm confident the next lot of properties which come up next year would fare better.

"47 Kent Street was successfully sold post auction by private treaty on Thursday, 5 March 2015 for $1.64 million. The sale was undertaken by Di Jones Real Estate Agents on behalf of the NSW Government. Negotiations still continue for the properties at 41 and 43 Kent Street, marketed by Ray White Double Bay."

As mentioned in my earlier post, last year's auction was just a blip. I expect the other 2 properties to sell pretty soon too. Demand is just massive in Sydney at the moment!

Having said that, I believe with the very strong opposition against the sales of the Millers Point public housing and with the NSW state elections drawing near, I don't expect any Millers Point properties to be on the market anytime soon.

Millers Point house sells for $4.23 million at auction

Grimes Cottage, the prize of the state government sell-off of public housing at Millers Point, sold under the hammer on Thursday night for $4.23 million.

The colonial Georgian residence was listed with a price guide of more than $4 million through McGrath's Richard Shalhoub.

The 184-year-old house was bought by lawyer John Schembri and his wife Karen, of Greenwich.

I've loved the area since I first visited when I was 13," said Karen Schembri after the sale was complete. "I can't stop smiling."

It is the 16th property to be sold as part of the sell-off of public housing, which has netted the state government almost $38 million to date.

The freestanding sandstone residence is expected to achieve the highest sale price of all the 293 properties to be sold by July 2016.

The head of Government Property NSW Brett Newman said: "The high spirited bidding for Grimes' Cottage was not surprising, it is one of only a few freestanding residences in the precinct."

As one of the oldest surviving residential buildings in Sydney, Grimes Cottage comes with some of the strictest heritage guidelines of all the former public housing properties.

It was built in 1831 as the first home of master mariner George Grimes and his wife Mary Underwood, the daughter of shipbuilder, merchant and distiller James Underwood.

The neighbouring six terraces were also developed by Mr Grimes from 1842 onwards.

The Schembri family are expected to undertake a sympathetic restoration and renovation of the rundown property.

The 416-square-metre block and coveted north-facing rear courtyard with Harbour Bridge views drew in a large pool of buyers.

Set over three levels, the five-bedroom, two-bathroom house has formal lounge rooms flanking the entry and iron lacework-framed rear balconies. There is a separate, self-contained studio at the rear.

The controversial sell-off has faced significant opposition from the local community. But unlike previous Millers Point auctions there were no protesters out the McGrath auction rooms on Thursday night.

Tenants' spokesman Barney Gardner said all such action has been suspended until they meet with Social Housing Minister Brad Hazzard on Friday.

Mr Newman said proceeds from the auctions in Millers Point and The Rocks were being used to fund the new supply of public housing, with projects already underway in Lurnea, Condell Park, Padstow, Warilla, Mount Warrigal, Chester Hill, Yagoona, Gymea, Kingswood, Casula, Beverly Hills and Miranda.

The sale tops the previous high for a state-owned property of $3.95 million set last September when a five-bedroom Victorian terrace sold on Lower Fort Street.

http://news.domain.com.au/domain/re...book&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=editorial

Will someone make up their minds?

One of the first properties auctioned has returned to market after a little work:

119 Kent St

The agents are expecting close to $600k more in 10 months. If you take out 20+% increase just because the market has moved, a little bit more because it was the first to go up for sale, a touch more for some uncertainty and the cost of the reno, is there really anything to spruik about?

Will this be a windfall gain for the vendors (just think of all the cgt that they're going to pay, without the 12 months ownership discount).

Owners of old public housing at Millers Point prepare to renovate

Owners of old public housing at Millers Point prepare to renovate amid fears it could put heritage at risk

THE first buyers of Millers Point public housing are wasting no time in planning their dream homes, with two development applications currently before the City of Sydney.

A $784,696 DA for 11 Lower Fort St and a $350,000 DA for 30 Argyle Place have both been lodged in recent weeks.

Lower Fort St sold at auction for $3.95 million in October, while the Argyle Place home sold for $1.71 million in November.

The owner of the Lower Fort St property plans ?internal reconfiguration, restoration works, demolition of existing outbuilding at rear and construction of a new single storey addition to courtyard.?

The plans for 30 Argyle Place include ?internal refurbishment and conservation works throughout and rear single storey addition at lower ground level to courtyard?.

As well as council approval, both plans also require the approval of the Heritage Division of the Office of Environment and Heritage

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...heritage-at-risk/story-fngr8h22-1227402162863

Back