above ground electricity... an issue?

I just had a look at a property which I'm rather excited about.. BUT, the standard wooden electricity pole leads through to the roof of the building I'm considering.

Can I make arrangements to have the standard underground service?

Property value; Does it make a difference to a buyer? Is this an issue in strong weather conditions? Any other relevent pros and cons?

note - "Does it make a difference to a buyer" for anyone replying with, well does it make a difference to you :) No, it does not. But this is a shorterm purchase so I'm looking at it from the next potential buyers standpoint.

Thank you

Hi Stock,

In eastern Australia overhead powerlines are generally the norm and would not worry potential buyers.

In the west and in cyclone-prone areas I can understand that sentiments may differ.

You'd have to speak to the local electricity network provider about whether it's possible to provide underground power to that specific property and the costs involved.

There will be costs to you, as the house has a perfectly adequate supply already, how much I have no idea.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

stockt12 said:
note - "Does it make a difference to a buyer" for anyone replying with, well does it make a difference to you :) No, it does not. But this is a shorterm purchase so I'm looking at it from the next potential buyers standpoint.
stock 12,
imho.
The only question i would ask is does the other properties have U/G
Power and is it a normal setup for the street, you would have to be
carefull that any features you add on, don't put the property out
of character with the suburb,it may be a waste of money..
good luck willair.........

There are two parts to this for WA properties Stretchy,

First the section of cable to run down the pole and connect to the green power dome.
This is owned by the electircity company ( Synergy I think ?) but installed at your cost.
They have a fixed and subsidised fee in the metropilitan area of either $750 or $1500 ( can't remember but I think its $750. Each dome can supply two properties and I think its $750 per property..)

Second the underground cable run from the green dome to your meter box which is the responsibility of the customer ( property owner) and is installed by a licenced electrician.
Cost will depend on the length of the run but you can work on $700 +

If there is any remedial work required to remove the old service to the meter board, this may also cost extra.

Phone call on the 13 'help' number in the first instance should give you a better idea on the coss anyway.

kp

Sorry to drag this old thread back up. Has anyone managed to convince their local council or their utlitity companies (on the east coast) to bring the above ground wires underground? I would imagine if not already laid undergound, the main wires would be the expensive part if the roads and footpaths have to be dug up. Individual connections would be minimal.

in the end... this wasn't an issue in any way, shape of form.

I did find out some figures, which were... ammm very high :), unless you plan to live there for 10-20 years.. you'll never recoup.

I worked at integral energy for many years in emergency service section.
Majority of connections in older areas are fed from overhead mains held up by wooden poles and cross arms. The insulated cables connect from the overhead mains to the front of your property.
Not a major issue. Unless the home is really old.
However You can have a steel pole erected at your front boundary. The insulated service cables are then connected from the street mains to this pole. And underground mains go from this point to your switchboard.
At your expense, usually you will need a electrical contractor to do the work.
Your expense also for new overhead insulated service mains back to the main street connections on the pole. Not Cheap.:eek:
People do it. Not so much that it is safer but looks better and does not effect tall trees in front yard.

Gee Cee

Greg

may i ask why?

I believe electricity is not very good for your health.
I dont run power cords under my bed or keep electric appliances too close to my bed.
Have you ever slept the whole night with an electric blanket on? It really affects your body.
So I wouldnt want a bedroom where the wires connect to the house.

Thanks for the run down Gee Cee. Thats exactly what happens when a new construction goes up in those areas. I was just curious whether councils or the energy companies actually move the overhead mains underground? And yes, its only for aesthetics purposes.

I have to move an overhead electricity connection on an existing house as it crosses the proposed block next door. They'll probably underground it, or maybe build a new pole, or maybe run it off a support wire (cheapest option for them).

This will be the only connection in the street that doesn't cross an adjoining block (except the brand new transportable across the road).

If they underground it it will be the second underground one (the other is the brand new transportable across the road).

Bit annoying how a subdivided house from 1900 suddenly has to conform to all the modern building block codes from 2008, but that's just how it is.

That could have more to do with the heat than the electricity.

GP

Yeah it could.

I am still suspicious about EMGs though. I read that some studies have shown a weak link between household EMG exposure and leukemia but others have not.

I prefer to keep away from electricity as much as I can anyway. Here is some info from the Cancer Council so I am probably being too cautious but happy to do that:

Electric appliances around the home

It is unlikely that electrical appliances around the home increase your risk of cancer because the amount of EMF from them is small. But if you are worried, there are a few simple steps you can take to reduce exposure to EMF:

1. Don't sleep with an electric blanket switched on - just use it to warm up the bed before you get in.
2. Sit at least 50 cm away from your TV screen.
3. Don't have your bed against a wall that has an electric hot water service on the other side.

There have not been a lot of good quality studies on this subject, but here is a summary of what has been done so far. Remember that sometimes results from a single study can be due to chance, so scientists usually reserve judgement until more than one study has been done.

Electric blankets: Of the seven studies so far, six found no increased risk of cancer. In one study, the risk of leukaemia was higher in children whose mothers used an electric blanket while they were pregnant.

On a similar note I find it amusing that the penthouse suites in one of the big hotels in Cairns on the Esplanade has cell phone transmitters stuck all over it (because it is the top of the building). I notice they put those things everywhere now. Just the single units that are long panels. I see them on offices and churches - everywhere. I would hate to have an office with one of those stuck to the wall outside.

You can see videos on the net of two mobiles with antennas pointing at one another. In between the two is a popcorn kernel. The phones ring and the popcorn pops!! It is known that mobiles warm the brain. I reckon that has to be bad for you.

When I was a apprentice and a tradesman in construction we did a couple of overhead to underground conversions.
Kiama main commercial area was a big one.
Very expensive and lots of problems. You have to build most of the underground section before you can connect it to replace the overhead section.
High voltage cables, switchgear, substations.
Underground conduits and cables, streetlights, pillar fuse boxes etc, etc.
Hardest part is avoiding all those underground water pipes, gas mains, stormwater & sewer pipes. Etc, etc. Then also trying to get cables underground into premises.
Just noted today that Engadine main commercial area in southern Sydney is at present being converted to underground supply.
Not up to date but i do not think many areas would be getting converted to underground from overhead. Mainly owing to expense.
However some areas are being converted to overhead bundled cable.

This is just one black licorice looking cable that is insulated and does not require cross arms. So a lot neater and can run between tree branches.

Gee Cee

Ex Emergency Operator

Back