Accountant in Melbourne

Agreed tpi. If a structure means the difference between owing a property and not then of course it would be better to have it in your own name. I recently discussed this with a client where the lender wanted a 10% deposit which would take them a year to save and we both agreed it was better to purchase the property in their own name to get the property.

many people have equity in their own home or in other ips and so the ability to obtain finance isnt an issue.

many of our clients prefer residential property over shares or commercial so the ability to move it into super and have a tax free rental income stream is attractive for them. There are many strategis to reduce or even eliminate the cgt on sale or transfer so cgt is a planning exercise.

disagree re the refinancing principle not being a significant benefit. Had one client refinance for the unit trust to redeem the units and used the 300k to upgrade their main residence. 300k of tax deductible debt. At 6% per annum thats 24k of interest as a tax deduction vs 24k of non deductible interest. At a tax rate of 30% thats approx a 7k tax saving per annum. 35k over 5 years. So disagree.om that point.

depends what your goals are and i always tell clients the pros and cons and at least they know all the facts and can then decide what structure is best for them. We have many clients with properties in their own name and for their circumstances it is the most appropriate structure.

We arent interested in putting clients into structures that arent right for them. We just give all the facts and at least that way they can make an informed decision.

Terry w and coastymike,

Fair points, I guess the main thing is that people go into these structures with their eyes wide open.

In reality people may end up investing using multiple structures over time, ie. individual names, joint names, discretionary trust, company, super, SMSF, bare trust etc., and each can serve their own purpose at different points in time.

My preference though is not to get too fancy with structuring and tax as I think the main game is still making sure you are invested in the right asset classes and individual assets at the right times in your investment life cycle.

And if people are determined to invest in residential property almost exclusively without any consideration of shares or commercial property they may be doing themselves a disservice in the long-term.

Last edited:
I had a meeting with C&N not too long ago for a similar matter. I was disappointed when there was no followup from the person I was dealing with even after I sent a couple of emails.

Guess they have enough business already...

I had a meeting with C&N not too long ago for a similar matter. I was disappointed when there was no followup from the person I was dealing with even after I sent a couple of emails.

Guess they have enough business already...

Or perhaps it was an innocent overlook - emails in spam, that staff member left company etc///

Back