accounting fees going down

i noticed fees going down. maybe pre-filling meaning some accountants not needed anymore. forums also have good info. some accountants give rulings and lots of info for free. is good. our fees going down as it getting easier. forums teach us lots of free things accountant did not know. he did not know fte or iee and how they work. ato help desk seem to know just as much. people think it is complex. but not too much anymore. what do other people think. maybe be cheaper for future.

I would be a bit wary of the ato helpdesk. My mum used to call the ato to ask a question and check by calling another office. Fairly common to get two different answers.

If it is important, get it in writing, or a ruling.

Wylie

Hi SS

As an accountant my fees will not be going down. There is so much compliance work to start with, then advisory is growing.

Many more investors such as on here are using structures to invest and they all need advice. So there affairs are getting more complex rather than simple.

I have seen many times were someone had really good knowledge with respect to structures and tax planning, but just missed some little detail.

Remember the devil is in the detail and that's were your accountant earns their fee.

And as wylie said be wary of the ATO help desk, they often get it completely wrong!

I tried to get answers from the ATO a few years ago about GST...boy did they stuff that up...changing their minds every few months, and in the end...after much frustration...ruled in my favour.

I'm happy with my current accountant's fees and advice. BUT I did sack the previous one, because I wasn't happy.

Unless you get a Supervisor from the ATO I have received too much conflicting information from them to count on their expertise. Usually what they tell you is documented though - so each time you ring them, make sure you identify yourself (TFN) and ask for the conversation to be documented. Recently I had a five month ongoing issue for my Business account - because it was all documented and ATO people could see I was given the wrong advice, at each stage they were helpful (even when they were wrong!) and it wasnt until I was put onto a senior auditor who could see the trail of mistakes they had made, and put everything right for me, and waived all the (incorrect) fines they had imposed. I never lost my cool with them, it actually became quite laughable at the series of mistakes the help desk had made, and the senior person was very apologetic for all the angst I had been put through. So I am hoping I now have a few brownie points with the ATO!

And this service was provided by the Help desk for Business BAS - you would have thought they would know what they are doing, wouldnt you!

Back