Acreage close to Melbourne CBD - opinions?

Hi there,

My partner and I are moving back to Melbourne after living overseas. We are planning to buy a lifestyle block (minimum 1.5 acres) and spend a few years renovating and adding value to the property then selling it after about five years (we are buying it to live in and enjoy, but want to also have made some money in the process when we sell down the track). The reason we would sell it is because we don't think the rental returns warrant us keeping it and we already own a property like this in NZ (where we will eventually move to).

Our budget is 800k but we could stretch a little more for the perfect property.

One of our key concerns is that the property is as close to the CBD as possible, ideally no more than 50 min by train, so that my husband can get to work within 1 hour.

Sunbury fits the bill, as does a little past Werribee, but I am not that keen on that direction. Ideally I would have liked to move out east/southeast, but the trip time is simply too long.

Can anyone offer any suggestions/thoughts on these areas, plus some we may have overlooked? Where would you consider if you were in our position?

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Kurunjang, a short drive to Melton station. Im not to familiar with this area but have heard some sites here have city views.

Hi

Perhaps have a look at Skye and you would use Seaford train station for that, Cranbourne, Cranbourne South and Pearcedale which I think would all use Cranbourne train station.

Regards,

alicudi

Hurstbridge and surrounds (Plenty, Kangaroo Ground, Panton Hill, etc.) in the NE. The train journey from Hurstbridge to the CBD takes about an hour.

Some blocks are cleared and ready to use as a hobby farm, others are more of a bushland setting.

I can't believe with your budget, you are looking at places such as Sunbury, or cranny

Depending on what you want, there are a variety of choices available tbh, much better than any of the burbs you have mentioned

Hi Smilla,

I agree with LoneWolf...I'll add some subs for value albeit not being on the train line.

Ie:Lysterfield S,Belgrave S,Belgrave H's and beyond.

Lifestyle?or want your cake and eat it too at the expense of higher mortgage?

Cheers Spades.

I can't believe with your budget, you are looking at places such as Sunbury, or cranny

Hi

When I mentioned Cranbourne South I really did mean the areas that consist of lifestyle properties with large homes and acreage...some of these are as little as an acre and go up to and over 50 acres.

This part of Victoria is home to a large number of properties some of them used as a ppor by people in the BRW Rich 200 list. I do not think these areas should be frowned upon and should at least be investigated by anyone that wants to live on acreage relatively close to Melbourne. Areas such as Cranbourne South and Pearcedale can only go up in value as the land barriers of Westernport Bay means that land between Melbourne and the Westerport Bay will eventually be in limited supply unlike the North and North Eastern parts of Melbourne when people will just keep looking further out.

Here is an example of what I mean: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-lifestyle-vic-pearcedale-7609479

Regards,

alicudi

Yes....but there's no car park left at Mitcham, Nunawading or Blackburn after 7 am!! :(

(And the Donny Park and Ride don't fare much better)

The Y-man

I didn't realise it had got that bad. It's a long time since I used to park at Mitcham at around 8am, which was always busy but ok.

I was actually thinking Eltham or Montmorency might be possible (but have no experience of what their parking is like).

Hi

Do you know what the highest bid was at auction?
Were many people in attendance?
I know the property and area very well!

Regards,

alicudi

Hi

I have the section 32 for the property in the web link posted above by dan_89 which is located at 182 Eramosa Road West Somerville Victoria. Everyone should stay well away from it as the site is contaminated and will cost big money to clean it up.

The land is also subject to inundation.

Regards,

alicudi

Back