ACT - Kitchen/Paint - Budget/Recommendations?

Hi all,

I'm wanting to do a couple of minor things to my IP in Canberra (Ngunnawal specifically), once the tenants move out in about two weeks, after which I'll be leasing it again.

What I'm looking at is:

1) Update the kitchen with new cupboard doors, panels and benchtops. As it is an IP, I want to keep costs down, and there's nothing wrong with the carcass. Thinking probably vinyl-wrapped doors and panels, with a laminate benchtop. Is $2-3k (inc. installation) a realistic budget here?

2) Paint. I don't want to do the whole house as I don't want to spend that sort of money, and realistically for an IP, as it is now, the paint is not too bad, but the main bedroom and living areas/kitchen would be the priority. Will want walls and ceilings done.
I don't have measurements, but the bedroom is about 11m2 and the lounge/dining and kitchen probably in the region of 50-60m2 I guess. As the existing wall colour is a light, neutral colour, can I get away with only doing one coat on the walls? And I would I expecting too much again if I had something like a $3k budget here?

Finally, does anyone here have any recommendations of cabinetmakers/kitchenmakers or painters in the ACT area who would do a reasonable job of these within these budgets?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts :)

Hiya Dave

My brother in law owns a kitchen company in Queanbeyan. I'm not sure exactly how much they charge but we had a similar job carried out on one of our IPs at cost price and it was around $2kish.

How's the condition of the bench top? Would a new sink and mixer make a difference to the look? That way you could just replace the doors and handles.

How's the splashback looking? A new splashback always makes a difference and if you're a little handy, they're not hard to DIY.

Cheers

Jamie

Hi Jamie

Thanks for the reply. The sink already has a mixer, but I have a brand new sink I bought (almost five years ago!) that I could use when the new benchtop is put in.
On the benchtop - it is faded in places, and there's a hole where I replaced the cooktop a few years back with a new one with a smaller surface area - so that is definitely up for replacement too.

The tile splashback, whilst looking 90's old-school traditional (replete with murals of flowers etc.), it is in good nick. As I'm based in Melbourne, I wouldn't have the time (or confidence) in replacing the tiles myself with new stuff.

Appreciate any suggestions anyone else may have.

If you stick to the same color as it is now,one coat is fine,no need to do the ceil or glosswork if it is in good condition.
One 10 litre of Low sheen will go a long way,just start painting and finish when you run out of paint.(Always have a bit put aside for touch-ups)

Back