Add another building to an existing strata plan??

Been an avid reader for some time of all the valuable information provided by all you fantastic forum members. Today, a question. I have a townhouse that's about 10 years old in a strata plan of 15 townhouses and each owner has equal share in the strata. One of the owners has put forward an idea (request) of bulding another dwelling on his land (his particular townhouse is on the end and has a larger back/side yard). I have never heard of this before, does anyone know what rules or constraints are? None of the rest of us would have the opportunity of adding any other dwellings as there just isn't the land available.
Thanks for any advice
Ally

talk to the planners at council

given my experience with my home in my plan ........the answer would be ...no.

however it is easy enough to speak to planners.
just make sure that they know you are speaking about a strata plan because what is allowed in torrens title is not necessarily allowed in strata.
they can look it up on their computers and give you general info on the phone

and the original request needs to first pass thro body corporate approval before getting council approval

AFAIK

Not quite the same thing, but there was an apartment block in the CBD where owners of a top floor apartment (possibly two together) applied to the body corporate to use the roof space plus apartment roof to create this mega-apartment. The proposal went through, and the apartment was revalued in light of its highly increased value and charged a higher proportion of strata levies accordingly (there was probably also a payment for exclusive use of what was previously common property. The space was previously only accessible for maintenence, not recreation, otherwise they probably wouldn't have managed it).

Short answer: would need body corp approval, council approval, and if approved likely result in revaluation and reallocation of strata levies to reflect increased comparative value of that particular lot and/or added burden on complex. Difficult but theoretically possible.

Back