Adding a bedroom

Hi Folks

Have a small project in North Sydney Council area, and proposal is to turn 2 bed flat into 3 bed flat.

On the advice I have received from private planners, I should have no difficulty getting it through council... However... one of the council requirements is strata approval.... so far strata has neither said yes or no, but are erring towards no.

Has anyone had any experience of this? Any proposed solutions?

Cheers
Nick

Nick, try moving the question to the value add section.

The risk for BC is that NSC will impose a full BCA upgrade on the block. Also there may be requirements for additional parking spaces.

The BC will require plans and the DA/CC forms to sign.

As the work is internal the Strata Plan won't need redrafting however the unit entitlement may need adjustment as you will be utilising the services more heavily.

Nick, have you made any progress on this? I was wondering the same thing myself - moreso for the future if we want to convert the dining area into a study/3rd bedroom (it has a window, is of bedroom dimensions)

Wasn't NSW law going to require a full DA for simple mods after a girl was killed in a huge fire in Bankstown ? They found the building had been extensively converted from all 2+3 bed apts so each had 4-5 bedrooms. Most beds had no fire doors, sprinkers were moved etc ventilation and smoke detectors couldnt operate. The concern was individual apts may have complied but in total it converted the stairwell into a chimney.'

My understanding heat is on councils to say no unless the strata applies and whole building is re-certified.

Back