Teenage Retreat without council approval

Hi, I would like to seek some advice regarding a house I recently purchased in Padstow, 3 bed, 2 bath,1 garage which has been converted into 1bedroom teenage retreat (1living, 1 bed and 1 shower toilet (small sink in the living room with small rangehood but no stove). This teenage retreat has no council approval.
It seems it fullfilled the standard requirment of the 2.4m height and the 900mm both side and back gap, the access to the garage is from the side of the property only (Corner block 544sqm). Questions:
1.I understand that conductiong private certifier would be much easier, how can I get Private certifier? I meant what exactly business category this private certifier is in? And once they certify it, how can I use it to gain council?s approval?
2. Should I get into council approval process, Would it be possible to convert it into 2 bed granny flat?
3.. What?s the difference between teenage retreat and granny flat from council?s perspective? is the kitchen the difference between those two? My teenage retreat has shower and toilet, can it still be considered as teenage retreat? IF I keep it as a teenage retreat, Do I need to obtain council approval (As there are plumbing and drainage installed)?
Thanks so much,

Back