Adding a separate granny flat to a proposed large home?

Hi all,

I am intending to buy a block of land in burwood council area to build a large 9bed home that can be separated to 2 families with 2 kitchens/2 laundries etc. Will I have any problem with council if I add a separate granny flat at the back?

Thanks

Hi all,

I am intending to buy a block of land in burwood council area to build a large 9bed home that can be separated to 2 families with 2 kitchens/2 laundries etc. Will I have any problem with council if I add a separate granny flat at the back?

Thanks

Dual occ? Or are you splitting the block via strata/torrents title?

Hi all,

Thanks

Yes you will have problems. At most you can have dual occupancy ie, house with 2x families. The granny flat will be a third occupancy.

Won't be a proper dual occupancy within the main building in title terms. Will be a large 9 bed house, but use it as a dual occupancy.

It won't pass final inspection as a single dwelling if it has 2 kitchens. You'd have to have a wetbar then add appliances (illegally later) if you wanted to avoid that. Then you have the fire rating issue as they won't be legally separated. So if you rent them out separately (or live in half and rent the other half) and have a fire (for example) your insurance will not cover you.

Be sure to do it right otherwise you are asking for trouble.

It won't pass final inspection as a single dwelling if it has 2 kitchens. You'd have to have a wetbar then add appliances (illegally later) if you wanted to avoid that. Then you have the fire rating issue as they won't be legally separated. So if you rent them out separately (or live in half and rent the other half) and have a fire (for example) your insurance will not cover you.

Be sure to do it right otherwise you are asking for trouble.

If the appliance is portable, rather than a fixed unit, would this be a legal workaround?

I am planning to sub-let rooms only (max. 4 rooms), not to a family. But we try not to share kitchen / laundry facilities if possible to give us some privacy. What's the best way to do this?

Hi all,

Thanks

Hi kennyboi,

A granny flat can't be added to an existing dual-occupancy. They're called 'secondary dwellings' because they are secondary to the single main dwelling. I mean you can't throw a granny flat onto a dual occ.

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/maintop/view/inforce/epi+364+2009+cd+0+N
Development standards:
will not result in there being on the land, any dwelling other than the principal dwelling and the secondary dwelling.

BUT Interestingly:
Note. Principal and secondary dwellings will be classified as class 1a or class 2 under the Building Code of Australia depending on the configuration of those dwellings.

BCA Class 1:One or more buildings which in association constitute-
Class 1a -- a single dwelling being a detached house; or one or more attached dwellings, each being a building, separated by a fire-resisting wall, including a row house, terrace house, town house or villa unit.

BCA Class 2: One or more attached dwellings, each being a building, separated by a fire-resisting wall, including a row house, terrace house, town house or villa unit; or

Therefore you could argue that the principle dwelling is a Class 1a building and the secondary dwellng is what it is?

I need to talk to planning about this me thinks!

Back