Adding Extra Bedrooms

Hi all,
Has anyone added an extra bedroom to there existing IP to gain a higher rent.
The Reno Kings highly recommend this strategy, but I was wondering if there is
a standard minimum size a bedroom has to be to constitute being a bedroom, or can it be any size providing you can fit a bed in it? Interested in doing this but not sure on any size regulations etc.
I know studies and home offices are sometimes stated as possible extra bedrooms, so were just wondering. I'm considering building a wall and doorway within existing rooms to create another room.
Would love to here feedback/experience etc.

We did this a year ago, turned a three bed Queenslander into a four bed. We had what was once the original open verandah, long ago closed in which was just a wasted room. Past tenant was using it as a home office, but anybody visiting had to enter through it.

When they left, we cut a new front door into the little vestibule that the original front door opened into. We left the double doors to the "new" fourth bedroom so it could be used as a office with external entry. Cost was not much but we had to replace the stairs (which badly needed doing anyway) and we made a small double size landing at the front so people chose which doorway to use, the original front door which now leads straight into the living area, or the double french doors which lead to the office/bedroom (large enough to take a queen bed plus furniture).

If you can do it as easily as that (and it sounds like you can) then it can mean another $30 or so per week rent.

I'm considering building a wall and doorway within existing rooms to create another room.
We did this on my PPoR, knocked down part of a wall to make two doorways and divided the room in two. The room was originally a 5.3x4.3m bedroom and was much too large.

Extra Room

One my mate split his (bit bigger than)Master size bedroom into two rooms with single beds. He placed in a massive closet which had some kind of sound proof wood. He has got students living in them & making a nice profit.

Rav
ThePropertyDomain

i am currently starting a business doing jjust that, but this includes real bricks and morter type ext, say a 4x4 is added i can do this for about 26k and the value additions means an extra 80<120 per wk and the cost on borrowed funds is like 50<60 per wk
the home has greater yeild and in some cases it is cf+ and the ownwers get the GST back if reg and a possoible capital gain in some cases @ $2000m2 and renewed depreciation, good val what you think?

Back