Adding Rental Value?

I'm looking at getting an IP, and I was wondering what might be effective methods in increasing rent? Since I intend on keeping it as a rental property for at least the next 7 years. I don't want to make any upgrades which won't eventually pay itself off. It's more than likely that in 8-10 years time when I decide to sell it, the buying market will only be interested in knocking the existing dwelling down and developing their own. (It's already currently advertised on the market as a potential redevelopment! I've just bought it mainly for the land)

It's an absol waterfront property (albiet probably the worst/cheapest type cause it's on a river), but will it be worthwhile adding a small jetty to it? Local council and Dept of Lands is currently still accepting applications for small jetties (They call them Landing Platforms). Besides increasing capital value is it also worthwhile for the rent? The agent's estimated rent is 230pw

The house itself isn't in the best nick, it's about 30 years old and relatively small (2 bedroom, 1 bathroom). The selling agent suggested that I redo the front and rear patio's as the wood has been rotten to the core. He also suggested repainting the same colour throughout just the interior of the house. It already has a car port and A/C, the kitchen/bathroom is a bit old but OK.

There is a rear room that was built without council approval - it's uninhabitable, i'm thinking of just leaving that alone and not touching it. If i'm asked to remove it, then so be it?

However he noted that although these minor upgrades will improve the quality of my tenants, they won't necessarily allow me to increase the rent? So I was wondering if it's even worth while doing these if rent won't increase. The patio's could patched up by just replacing the rotten beams and that would cost a lot less.

Also - what other cheap upgrades are there available to increase rent? Baring in mind that I have a few years with it to make the upgrades pay themselves off.

I also figured that if I were to spend any money on upgrades, I might as well do it now, instead of 4 years from now, in order to make the most of the upgrades i'll make to the property.

Last but not least... do I have to get the work done while tenants are in, or inbetween old and new tenants, in order for the work to be tax deductible? I was told that if I carry out the work prior to getting my first tenant in that the work isn't tax deductible.

Cheers!

Also - what other cheap upgrades are there available to increase rent? Baring in mind that I have a few years with it to make the upgrades pay themselves off.

Paint, carpet, blinds - cosmetic stuff really. For these old houses its often worthwhile making sure its in good repair. It doesn't increase weekly rent but does reduce maintainence and that affects the bottom line. It also helps keeps tenants happy and reduces turnover. If there is something that you do not wish to repair (ever) then make sure it is accepted by the tenant in that condition on the lease

Last but not least... do I have to get the work done while tenants are in, or inbetween old and new tenants, in order for the work to be tax deductible? I was told that if I carry out the work prior to getting my first tenant in that the work isn't tax deductible.

Cheers!

Its all tax deductible but repairs are 100% tax deductible immediately while upgrades can be depreciated over some years. The qualify as a repair it generally has to be done while tenanted (or in between tenants) and has to restore the item back to its original condition rather than improving / replacing it. Eg mend hole in fence= repair, replace whole fence line = upgrade. If you want to do repairs while tenanted to claim the 100% tax deduction, you need to weigh this up against providing a property in poor repair to the tenant.

If the cost is reasonable, and there is a possibility of approval for a small jetty being available now, but not in future, then I would think this is a plus for future development and/or resale. How much would approval cost, even if you don't install the jetty now, and could you get approval and delay installing, and for how long?

Future buyers may want a jetty, so that is definitely one I would investigate further. Not having one could pull your future sale price down.

Apart from that, if this is a knock down job (maybe five years down the track), I would do as much as I could myself (or pay someone) cheaply, like paint, fresh but cheap curtains (try ebay) maybe polish floors if the carpets are really bad, or buy cheap carpet from an auction and pay a carpet layer.

Make it as attractive as you can for as little cost as you can. Whatever you do, if it is all bulldozed in a few years, it is important to keep it a cheap but cheerful as possible.

Back