Adding to existing extension, unsure if orig work had permit. Advice pls.

Hi All,

My soon-to-be-PPOR 1930's cal bungalow has at some point in the 70-80's been extended out the back. We would like to add another 3sqm to make an existing space big enough to turn into a bathroom + sep toilet + ensuite.

Looking at the sect 32 it doesn't mention a permit being given in the last 10 years. Not surprised as the extension is at least 30 yrs old I reckon.

I'm worried that if the current old extension was not legit I may run into trouble with the council during the process of requesting a planning/building permit for the addition.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Bite the bullet and go to the council. The worst that can happen is that you will discover that the extension was not approved. You can then incorporate remedial work into your new addition.

You are going to need approval for your new work, so better to do everything in one action.

Do nothing and it may come back to bite you when you sell if the purchaser discovers unapproved work.

It happens. Friend recently bought a house and in the course of the searches discovered it had never received final approval (even though it had been through several owners). Vendor had to spend big $$$ to rectify.
Marg

Back