Adding value to a property for sale!

Hi Guys,
I thought I would ask for help from the vast knowledge and experience that is out there.
I want to sell an investment property that has recently been vacated by tenants. I'm sprucing it up to have it ready. Because it is empty, I want it to look lived in as I want to maximise its sale price. I know there are companies that hire out furniture and fittings. Has anyone used these companies and if so would they recommend them?
Do you think its a good idea or do you think it's a waste of money.
By the way, the property is in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne.
I'm interested in any feedback!

We have done this and it is most definitely worth the money. An empty house looks... empty, and small.

We've also done this by using our own furniture but these days, I'm not prepared to do that, though if you have nice furniture and enough of it and have a flair for design, this could save you thousands. We pulled together things from two houses - bought beds which we resold after the sale etc.

We just did this for a four bedroom, four living area, one outdoor patio house and the cost was about $5K for six weeks (from memory).

Thanks Wylie and Peter for the advice.
Peter, are there any stats that would indicate what level of expenditure would give you what kind of return?

Have you decided to rent furniture?

We are about to sell and are deciding between empty, furnishing with our stuff or hiring. We have been quoted $2500 for 4 weeks. Delivered, set up and collected.

For those that have hired - do you get your $2500k back in the selling price?

Have you decided to rent furniture?

We are about to sell and are deciding between empty, furnishing with our stuff or hiring. We have been quoted $2500 for 4 weeks. Delivered, set up and collected.

For those that have hired - do you get your $2500k back in the selling price?

You will never know, how do you measure this? However if you get another person interested in the property it will likely return more than $2500 in negotiation strength.

Back