Adding value to PPor

Hi All,

We are thinking of doing an extension to our PPOR to future proof our house.

The size of the building will be about 8m by 8m and a deck at the end of 3 by 8 deck at the back. At this stage it will be colourbond roof with cement sheet weatherboard. The idea is to put a lounge (4 by 8) and two bedrooms of (4 by4). The building will be off the ground so there will be a subfloor probably about 1.5 m of the ground.

Just wondering what sort of price one would expect? I have been looking around for ideas on cost but not really sure. Any things for me to watch out for and to plan for around contingency?

Also I think Council is around $600 for fees but just wondering if I would have to get other things like engineering reports/ draftsmen and other things?

I am in Victoria if that helps. Any thoughts, tips and questions to think about would be great. We have a builder in mind and they have given me an estimate but would be great to have others thoughts.

Edit would be interested in knowing how much value it would add to a place as well for future borrowing.

Hi All,

We are thinking of doing an extension to our PPOR to future proof our house.

The size of the building will be about 8m by 8m and a deck at the end of 3 by 8 deck at the back. At this stage it will be colourbond roof with cement sheet weatherboard. The idea is to put a lounge (4 by 8) and two bedrooms of (4 by4). The building will be off the ground so there will be a subfloor probably about 1.5 m of the ground.

Just wondering what sort of price one would expect? I have been looking around for ideas on cost but not really sure. Any things for me to watch out for and to plan for around contingency?

Also I think Council is around $600 for fees but just wondering if I would have to get other things like engineering reports/ draftsmen and other things?

I am in Victoria if that helps. Any thoughts, tips and questions to think about would be great. We have a builder in mind and they have given me an estimate but would be great to have others thoughts.

Edit would be interested in knowing how much value it would add to a place as well for future borrowing.

If you are doing an extension you will need to pay a little bit more than $600....

Draftsman fees, site survey, geo tech soil report, building permit etc.

Admin should gobble up close to $10k pretty quickly for most extensions.

If you are doing an extension you will need to pay a little bit more than $600....

Draftsman fees, site survey, geo tech soil report, building permit etc.

Admin should gobble up close to $10k pretty quickly for most extensions.

Sorry I meant $600 just for the permit

Post a pick of your current floor plan and your proposed floor plan.

Are you raising your current house and building under, or just extending out the back or side or something?

I will be getting a drafts person to help me with this as I have nothing to scale at this stage.

Just extending at the back. The house itself is on concrete stumps.

I will be getting a drafts person to help me with this as I have nothing to scale at this stage.

Just extending at the back. The house itself is on concrete stumps.

windows/bifolds, how to connect to existing house, plumbing, drainage, services quirks?

$1500-1900/sqm as a rough ball park with nothing fancy. Could be a lot more (and maybe a little less) depending on the site and how you finish your 8x8m box.

Connection will be a hole in the brick work that is existing. 1 window in each room and one double door at the end for the deck and one side window for the lounge.

No plumbing or drainage. Just electricity probably. I want to keep it hassle free as possible. The only thing is I will need to relocate Instaneous gas system to the side of the house. The finishing just simple nothing fancy just want it to be safe, secure and structurally sound.
Thanks for the info.

Back