Adding Value

Hello Everyone,

What are the areas to improve on in a 3 bedroom home? I would like to sell in 2 years.

Any suggestions would be great?

Thanks

totally depends on what needs doing.

Usual is paint, flooring, kitchen, bathroom, street appeal (fence, landscaping), window coverings ... but maybe none of this needs doing ... maybe heaps needs doing like restumping, rewiring, plastering etc

Without any photos or description lets just assume your talking about a modest 1970's style project cottage.

First get the landscaping right so its got good street appeal ...nice front fencing ....some established garden beds....maybe a few mature established trees.

Second make sure the cottage itself has good street appeal with attention to exterior paint work.....fascias ......bargeboards etc if brick. If cladd make sure that the fibro or weatherboard is in good repair.

Thirdly, remove any threadbare or worn carpet and polish floors (Assuming cypress Pine flooring). If carpet OK give good steam clean.

Fourth, if internal paintwork is basically OK give wash down with sugar soap and lambs wool applicator. If paint is not OK repaint internally in NEUTRAL colours.

If kitchen is dated but an OK layout consider a freshen up with new laminex benchtops and cabinet doors. If kitchen is just garbage consider replacing everything.

Bathroom is same as kitchen .....freshen up with new taps...a new vanity or if bathroom is just garbage then full replacement.

Your work options are unlimited ....just remember its your money.......your only holding it for 2 years and never ever focus ALL your resources on just ONE thing eg drop dead expensive gorgeous kitchen.

Use the KISS principle and don't over spend to your market.

Last edited:
Another thought, how much land have you got in the backyard? Have you considered development (providing it's feasibility)?

Could be more helpful giving an idea of location, house type etc.

Get that garden planted NOW.
This will give the plants time to mature.
Marg

Yeah putting in a garden is a great one Marg.

Also, mulching before sale is a quick easy cheap and effective way to make tired garden beds look lovely. Would personally go with the darker colours and stay away from the bright red pine chips, but the choice is entirely up to you.

Also if you don't have a garden and are not sure what to plant, I always take a look at what the council has used for street landscaping. These plants are usually cheap to buy, hardy and quick to establish. Aussie natives like coastal rosemary, banksia, lomandras and bottlebrush usually fall into this category, don't need much watering or tlc and flower well. You can also give established plants a good trim to make them tidier and grow back stronger. Herb gardens near the kitchen are also a great feature for home buyers, plus a fruit tree or two that the REA can mention in the ad.

Yeah putting in a garden is a great one Marg.

Also, mulching before sale is a quick easy cheap and effective way to make tired garden beds look lovely. Would personally go with the darker colours and stay away from the bright red pine chips, but the choice is entirely up to you.

I agree that the garden can make a big difference. However, be careful about using bark chip or other timber garden mulch. Building inspectors love to warn buyers that this is an open invitation to white ants. Novice buyers get scared and seasoned buyers might try to use it as a negotiating tool to get a reduction.

We have seen this a number of times when we have sold over the years.

Maybe consider one of the species of bark chip that repels white ants or at least keep it well away from the base of the house.

Here's an article that backs up the value of a decent lawn and garden:
http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2012/02/14/lawn-and-order-adds-value-to-your-home/

And I'm with Wylie, forget bark chips. Not only are termites a worry, but we had bark gardens and they were simply crawling with cockroaches who loved the environment. The bark chips went.

If you want a fresh look for a sale, go for sugar cane mulch. Added bonus is it mulches down into the soil as it ages.
Marg

alternative to bark for landscaping

I know it is twice as expensive as termite-resistent bark, but I have found gravel looks amazing as as mulch, and will not require replacing every few years. I like grey (granite blend) which is far cheaper than white pebbles.

I suppose it depends where the IP is in Australia - Brisbane, definitely stay away from bark chips but if its a hot, dry place like south oz termites are less of a problem (at least compared to other things like salt damp).

we had bark gardens and they were simply crawling with cockroaches who loved the environment. The bark chips went. Marg

My biologist friend says that the cockroaches who live in gardens are usually native species (not the introduce american/german varieties that are nasty pests in houses) and that they are very important for breaking down twigs, leaves etc in the environment. He says the introduced species love areas like wall cavities and crevices in foundations. Also, that you'd need at least 15cm of bark mulch in the average garden for it to be reasonably appealing to termites. But then he's not a property investor...

Back