ADSL recommendations

We're in the process of moving into our new house and I want to move away from Telstra with ADSL.

We're going to have six computers hooked up to the net. With Telstra and the router they supplied to current house , even though they supplied a 1> 4 router they wouldn't support enquiries that involved more than one connection.

Any reco's for good and efficient providers who provide good back up.

Cliff

I am happy with TPG at the moment, currently get 1 GB for $30.

In my new house I have to have Telstra (no option) as Telstra Dumb community.

I will be charged $40 for 200mb, $70 for 600mb and $100 for 12 GB

600MB not enough, 12GB way to much.

GRRRrrrrrr

Dave

I just signed up with Netspace. $49 a month for 5g peak and then 5g off peak (midnight till 7).

Pretty happy so far. Like anything you don't really know how things are until something goes wrong.

Internode. I pay 70 bucks a month for 30 gigs, no peak or off peak usage nonsense and in the two years I've been with them, I've needed to use their support twice and gotten excellent, prompt service. Compare that to the time I was stuck with Telstra for 8 horrible months and if a week went by when there wasn't an issue, it was a good week. They have just recently introduced a system where you can buy extra d/l's if you need them in any given month. I dunno the details, but seems like a good deal.

Mark

www.whirlpool.net.au

Compares all the different ISP offerings out there. It also has forums where people have posted endless comments about the various providers.

As for six computers, get an 8 port switch, or get a wireless router and connect the laptops wirelessly. Your ISP help desk should be able to walk you through the set up if you have a recommended router.

internode.

i pay 69.95 a month for 10GB ADSL2 on a Soho connecton (static ip.. you probablty don't need/want this, but i do)

it's somethin like 59.95 for 10GB ADSL1

Damn, ISPs in Aus are expensive

routers can be cascaded, to link more than the four ports
passive and active switches, (routers without local DNS) are available up to 20K ports off the shelf, more if ordered, (large buildings, gov depts, BHP), usually in home use the smaller 12-20 ones are enough

This is what I pay at Optus.

Client must have ABN and bundle home phone, mobiles and Internet. Premise must be in Optus ADSL2 coverage area.

- Mobile phones $9 pm (with $9 call allowance, $0.10/5mins fleet call, own handset)

- Home phone $13 pm (100 free local calls, line rental inclusive)

- Internet $60 pm (10 gb peak plus 20 gb off-peak)

==> Big saving on mobile and home phone charges comparing to the Telstra option I used to pay ($30 for line rental alone, call costs were additional)

if you want to download heaps... have access to a TPG ADSL2+ equipped exchange... and don't need customer service... then get TPG's new 150GB plan for $69.95 :)

Warn you now.... don't expect quality help over the phone ;)

EDIT: http://www.whirlpool.net.au/ has plenty of ISP feedback

I'm with TPG, they are pretty good.

But i've heard ALOT of good things about Internode and would probably choose them if I was without an ISP.

I'm with TPG, they are pretty good.

But i've heard ALOT of good things about Internode and would probably choose them if I was without an ISP.

forgot to say... I've been with TPG for the last 3-4 years.... only a few hours of downtime in that period.... so I haven't had to make use of the crappy customer service :D

Not that I care about their customer service.... allowing me to keep my all I can eat 256k for $50/month is plenty of service for me :cool:

I have just signed up with the Virgin Broadband plan. $60 per month includes 4 gig a month high speed broadband (512k); free land calls, free national land calls, and free mobile calls to Virgin mobiles. If over 4 gig it slows down but doesnt cost more. It doesnt use a Telstra line, so no ongoing line rentals, and as we are renting out a brand new apartment we wont have to pay that first $250 installation payment, nor any telstra line rental. The product was released yesterday! All wireless!

A modem is attached to a power point; then your normal phone is connected to the modem for making calls. Then you can connect wirelessly if you want to the internet, using the USB devices for PC's or the laptop, or by cable!

Virgin

I have just signed up with the Virgin Broadband plan. $60 per month includes 2gig a month high speed broadband; free land calls, free national land calls, and free mobile calls to Virgin mobiles. It doesnt use a Telstra line, so as we are renting out a brand new apartment we wont have to pay that first $250 installation payment, nor any telstra line rental. The product was released yesterday!
Virgin's virgin service?

I have tried them all and found that exetel is the best value for money
and has very good download speeds.
You will need to sign up online.
http://www.exetel.com.au
It's a pretty much automated service and once actrivated is trouble free.
If you want to move your landline to them they also offer free churn from your current ISP.
The RS2 package for $45/month gives you 40+12G=52Gig per month
at Vfaast ADSL2 speeds. (Fast enought to watch online TV)
http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_phone.php?link=link02

Cheers

Back