Advertising board for rental

Hi all,

I am trying to rent out a place and have been advised about the advertising:
Internet ad: $145
Board out front: $88

All the places I've ever rented I've only ever found on the net (or before the net agents rental lists).

Is the board worth it?
Personally I think it's overkill, but would like to hear others opinions.

Cheers,

G.

Hi all,

All the places I've ever rented I've only ever found on the net (or before the net agents rental lists).

Is the board worth it?

Cheers,

G.

I think it is a overkill, with most renters searching via the Internet.

Cheers

It depends on where the property is located.

You wouldn't bother putting a board up in a tiny back street, but a main street where it is hard to find the property without causing an accident for prospective tenants I think is a good idea.

If the property is vacant I'd say that putting a sign up could attract attention to the property (thiefs etc). Agree the internet is the important place to advertise.

Holly

G'Day

I insist on a 'To Let' board at all properties

Even with the internet, something like 30% of all enquiry still comes from the board - the neighbours tell someone they know, or simply because someone drove past.

My Property Managers have told me that people have pulled over and rung for more information while standing outside the house

My Property Managers also run Open for Inspections and the board helps people find the property particularly if the OFI is after work during winter

There is also the 'you are on show' effect to the outgoing tenants. Everyone is looking, so they are perhaps inspired to make sure the place looks great while the sign is there!

Hope this helps
Kristine

I never tell my clients to use a board, if they want one they have to ask (sorry Lil Skater & Kristine). The area I work in is always covered with boards from other agents and as such, nobody pays any attention to them anymore. In my opinion (and that is all it is based on the experience I have had working in my general area) a board does nothing but advertise that the property is possibly vacant and it will advertise your agent more than it does the house. So of course your agent wants you to have one!!! :D

I think there is still a place for signs as enquiry is usually from a qualified prospect ie knows the area and likes the look of the house. It is generally low cost or free. I wouldnt charge my clients for a sign as it does also adcvertise the agency

A bloke who worked for me moved houses because he saw a sign on a property in the same street as he was already renting in. He wasn't particularly looking to move, but he saw the sign, liked the look of the place better than where he was living, and moved house.

Probably should've mentioned, there is no charge for a board - It's included in the leasing fees.

Again, I think there are a lot of variables in where to/to not put a board and it really depends on the property.

Thanks for your replies.

At this stage I think I'll pass on the board and if nothing comes from the ad on the net I might consider it later.

to hammer in a generic board that they will re use after they've let yours? tell 'em their dreamn.

This was my issue also. I know the board they use which is simply their comapany name and logo with For Lease at the bottom. Nothing to describe the place so completely re-usable.

Cheers,
G.

Put you own up.
We have them made up for $50 with a lovely picture of the property and it's features in bright sunlight with a box down the bottom where we can write, then erase the agents phone number, or ours if we feel like it.
A.

Hi all,

Is the board worth it?

Cheers,

G.
I had to break lease once to move countries for work and we managed to get a new tenant straight away thanks to a board out front...it cost us $200 though..not $88

I 'kind of' agree with what alot of people have said. I do think the charge is excessive but i think they work depending on the area and some other variables.

As a renter if i go to an OFI i will use the drive there and back to see if i have missed any other properties. I would think an enquiry from a board would be more likley to be legitimate than one from the internet as the prospective tenant has had a chance to see the property in person. Photos can deceive!!!

Advertising boards can be very useful, and are definitely the most cost effective off-line advertising method. Sure, on-line advertising is a must, but a board can complement the campaign. A board should not cost more than $60 or $70 max and can be re-used next time the property becomes available, especially if you are self-managing.

We use the $2.00 "For rent" signs along with free on-line ads. Occassionally we use the newspaper..but I don't think it is worth the extra charge.

Everything helps...especially when neighbours tell their friends

Last month we rented our newest purchase to an elderly lady. He children talked her into breaking the lease, and renting in a seniors complex.
The day she was actually viewing this property, there was another gentlemnan interested. We took his name and phone number, and told him when it comes available we will contact him.
This man still hadn't found a place when i called him...he is now our new tenant..and moves in a couple of weeks.

Back