Advertising incorrect suburb

Hi

Been doing a bit of browsing on re.com and have noticed several properties advertised as being in a suburb that is different from the actual suburb the property is in (ie advertised as Carseldine instead of Bald Hills). Seems to be where the properties are close to the suburb boundaries. I can understand why this would be done as one suburb may be more attractive than the other, but is it ok to do this from an ethical &/or legal perspective?

Brays

I see the same thing happening from time to time in Adelaide. Advertised as 'Northgate' when it's really in 'Northfield.' Northgate is the new desirable estate, Northfield is the old suburb next door where everything is being knocked down to start over.

short answer no...

its false advertising - i know the ones you are talking about and it will be a matter of time before someone gets dragged through the consumer tribunal at the Office of Fair Trading.

apparently, and i'll need to check my facts properly, but two certain very large well known retail outlets in a nearby location copped a big fine last year for saying they were in carseldine as opposed to bald hills.

there has apparently been civil suits as well where the agent has put the wrong suburb down on the contract, the buyers have settled and then turned around and sued for the difference in value because of the suburbs inferiority etc...

it really is a bit dodgy!!

cheers
UC:D

there is one that is annoying me where they advertise in Essendon for about $170k + land. This is referring to house and land packages - i doubt VERY much there is any land in essendon for house and land packages as its a very old and prestigious suburb. - annoys me when searching for different things as its clearing made to get you to want to buy in outer suburbs :S

Thats right Brays, we have blocks in Carseldine Chase which is infact postcode 4036 Bald Hills. Apparently there is applications before the relevant authorities to change the boarders for this suburb.

However I think if you spoke to most people they would consider this area Carseldine and not Bald Hills, they tink of Bald Hills as on the otherside of the Highway.

It needs to be advertised in the suburb that is shown on the title. Simple as than. Anything else is missleading and deceptive conduct!

I got a house in Grovedale which was advertised as Waurn Ponds (better suburb). The road is actually the divide between the two areas. Agents were as dodgy as hell (big chain) because the measurements of the rooms listed on the for sale brochure added about 1m each way to the main rooms.

You see it all the time in Melbourne. Apparently anywhere within about 10k of Williamstown is actually in it (even seen "Williamstown/Altona" advertised on some places. Anywhere from Melb will know what I mean...)

I suppose the important thing will be that the property is correctly described in the contract, i can't see much harm done there, especially when in the area Bray is talking about considers it to be a particular suburb.

For example most people I know would call it Carseldine, it would confuse them to call it something else, as they would consider Bray Park somethinga bit different.

I guess most of you aren't old enough to remember that when Strathpine was first developed as a residential suburb it was advertised as "Little Aspley". For those interstate, Aspley is probably 5-6 km away but at the time was a very prestigious suburb, more so than today.

If "Carseldine Chase" is in Bald Hills then it is in Bald Hills. If you are in doubt, look in your UBD (street directory) - the suburbs are outlined and you can see exactly where the boundaries are. According to mine, Carseldine extends as far as Roghan Road and beyond that is Bald Hills. For some reason part of Roghan Road has been renamed.

Developers can call their development anything they want - you only have to look at estates titled "xxx bay views" etc and the only bay view is from the top of the tallest tree. Suburb boundaries usually aren't changed just to suit developers no matter what the developer may tell buyers.
Marg

Well here is a picture of the map with the Suburb..well more specifically street involved.

I think it is a fair call to describe it as Carseldine, especially the Southern end of the street.

What does everyone think, do you thinkits misleading for an agent to descrobe a house lovated on the road marked with red as Carseldine????

I have noticed the same thing in our local property guide where properties in the least desirable suburbs are advertised as "Mandurah" instead of say "Coodanup". It really peaves me. Trouble is that all of Mandurah including the greater Mandurah suburbs all have the same postcode so I suppose they could argue that they're not doing anything wrong even though the property titles say something different.

Flatout

Back