Advertising t/house for rent - privately

Thinking of putting out adverts and fidning tenant for my ne IP myself.

Where to advertise came to mind - I was thinking of

The West Australian Newspaper (Saturday)

Gumtree.com.au

Rentfind.com.au (hey it's free)

..Domain.com.au charge $116-$352 for adverts and I don't know of any REA's who woudl advertise for me on realestate.com

Any suggestions or warnings ?!

I rented mine out with ads up on the noticeboards in local supermarkets and shop windows.

Depends on your local market ... noticeboards at unis, any shops that let you put notices up, local newspaper, gumtree, all good. I haven't looked for a rental since 2002 and back then, everything was in the Advertiser (SA). Nowadays its all on the internet ...

I rented mine out with ads up on the noticeboards in local supermarkets and shop windows.

Depends on your local market ... noticeboards at unis, any shops that let you put notices up, local newspaper, gumtree, all good. I haven't looked for a rental since 2002 and back then, everything was in the Advertiser (SA). Nowadays its all on the internet ...

No local pinup boards woudl be worthwile in my Perth suburb - normal newspaper / internet ad's work well

Well the gumtree ad is up & running

Now to determine if The West Australian is worth paying for and which other websites...

There is a site discussed here several times where you can get your house on realestate.com.au for a couple of hundred. I cannot remember the name, but will have a search a bit later to see if I can find it.

Probably someone else will be able to remember it, but I will have a look.

I plan on using it when we next need to find a tenant.

Don't underestimate a well displayed 'for rent' sign on the property.

Ditto. When I've sold privately it was the sign that got the most "hits" after Domain ads.... it's usually locals who are looking to rent as well as buy.
Best of luck finding a quality tenant :)

I've found advertising on a few consecutive days in the major newspaper draws in almost as many if not more on all those other days combined than what you get only on a Saturday.

Our paper 'The Advertiser' does a cheap deal if you do Wed. to Sun.

You may also want to advertise in the local paper where the IP is. People often move somewhere close to where they already are.

I think drawing in as many people as possible in one hit means you're less likely to have the place vacant for too long.

I must admit we always use Gumtree now - we don't bother with print media. However that's primarily because the market we're aiming at is fairly young and the internet is their preferred option.

One thing we do do with Gumtree is pay for the 'top ad' option - it's definitely worth it.

Gumtree advert is done.

I thin I shold put it in the West Australian Newspaper

If there is a For Rent section on the forum, I;'d gladly advertise here, or PM me if interested - it's a 2bed t/house in Osb Park

I'm thinking "Open For Inspection" for the West Australian advert

Will do a search for getting adverts on realestate.com also

Just had 1st call from someone who saw the gumtree ad

I don't actually have the keys yet.... person said they will be happy to view tomorrow after work time, so will call back tomorrow when it's finally settled.

Last edited:
Are you wanting to get it on to realestate.com.au? I know there are threads with the name of the company that do it, but for the life of me, I cannot find them with a search.

Are you wanting to get it on to realestate.com.au? I know there are threads with the name of the company that do it, but for the life of me, I cannot find them with a search.

Yes I know wylie, you mentioned that before.....

Any info of course is most welcome & might help others out too...

Then again.. I might just put an ad in The West Australian and see these 2 ads go to start with....

You sound miffed that I mentioned it again :confused:.

I was simply trying to help. I have spent some time searching but not found it.

Not miffed at all, just that your post didnt really say anything that wasn't said in your first post, from which I was aware you were trying to help, grateful for it and keen to find out who the company was if it happened to be found...

Thank you for your efforts so far and please don't waste your time on my behalf.

2nd call received from gumtree - unfortunately wanting fully furnished but hey, at least it works - this was the free advert too !!

Glad you are not miffed..... I was hoping someone else would jump in and post the name of the place.

I want to use it in the next little while, so I was also searching for my own information :).

Anybody remember what it was called???

Hi - here's another suggestion try http://www.quokka.com.au for on-line free advertising - there is a phone number on the website as well for free print advertising which I have used very successfully for selling unwanted stuff. However, be warned I got a couple of scams sent via email when I recently advertised a bedroom suite on-line.

Hi guys I think your after www.landlordschoice.com.au
199 will get you on both domain and real-estate.com.au
I'm doing the same on gumtree. Have had loads of interest and 8 applications. But no quality applicants. So thinking o might go landlordschoice..

Thank you sammmeee.... that is the one I was looking for.

I too have had problems using Gumtree (before landlordschoice was up and running) with scammers using my advert details and asking people to send money overseas to hold the house. The same could easily be done with any other ad on any other site, but I believe they target Gumtree due to the demographic who are drawn to the site, lack of agents, proliferation of private adverts etc etc.

Back