Advice on a family matter please!

My advice is to get a written valuation on the property as you may find when the parents die and you own the house, the sister will cry you 'stole it from them when they were desperate'

Yes that is definitely on the cards. When we did the loan to cover the build and purchase we were specifically told not to mention it - Based on that I would need to cover that aspect for future protection!

If you can buy the house without taking out a loan maybe buy it. But ask them to pay rent (you can just bank this money and save it) worse comes to worse you can help them out again with this rent money saved if need be.

When they get the money from the sale get them to put it into something like a netbank saver get 10k in interest almost covers rent for the year. They also have their pension as some income.

In the end the rent money you collect is a good way to save on their behalf. If need be you can access these funds at a later time when needed.

Your investment hopefully gains in CG over the years, inlaws have money to live, rent put aside if needed. Money coming in from interest to add to their pension.

Blocks of land keep, maybe at a later time develop and make a nice profit. If a builder wants them he can make money there, so best if you do it.

Just an idea.

I hope I don't offend here but this situation impacts you as much as it affects your partner. Why is it reasonable that you are not allowed to be a part of the discussions as to why this must be done and how bad their financial situation is. If my husband told me that I would be financing his parents retirement without an opportunity for me to openly consider all options and discuss with them I'd be livid. Honestly it would've even be an option for me so I guess I'm finding it difficult to understand your position and how you are so fine with it.

I hope I don't offend here but this situation impacts you as much as it affects your partner. Why is it reasonable that you are not allowed to be a part of the discussions as to why this must be done and how bad their financial situation is. If my husband told me that I would be financing his parents retirement without an opportunity for me to openly consider all options and discuss with them I'd be livid. Honestly it would've even be an option for me so I guess I'm finding it difficult to understand your position and how you are so fine with it.

I would not be offended by a legitimate opinion so don't worry! If the situation stopped at we sell the blocks, buy their home, and that is the end of it, fair enough, it doesn't have much impact, so not overly concerning. Beyond that, if more is needed then I want to be prepared.

His parents are very private people and would be embarrassed I expect, to have me witness their need. It would have been very hard for them to admit to their son that they need help so why would I want to further that pain for them, I would not want to add to their discomfort.

If my husband went ahead and completed the transaction without my knowledge then yes, livid would be the tip of the iceberg. But he hasn't, he has been upfront and has said he would like to do this. When he knows more, he will also discuss this with me but ultimately, I know he wants to do it. He is 'allowed' to have a say, as am I, for the sake of pride, my say will happen in private and then a decision will be made which will probably be what his preference is.

I guess everyone has their trigger points/limits for each situation, this doesn't affect my 'limit' in the same way you mention it would for you. I only want to find out how to do it with the least impact, financially and without causing people I care about unnecessary embarrassment.

Back