Advice on giving away our car

We want to off load our second car. I would like to give it to somebody who needs a car, but hubby thinks that they might not appreciate it.

It is 1997 ford falcon and done just under 100ks. Body is good, motor is ok and it goes like the clappers. Auto transm. Rego runs out very soon and it does need a little bit of work, as we have let it run down. Had a service under a year ago, and they said that the break pads would need changing about (last) christmas.

About 4 months ago we looked at trading it in and were offered 3.5K.

Based on the above I need to know your opinions on

1) Do you think somebody would appreciate this car even though they have to spend some money?

2) If yes, where would the appropriate place to search for such a deserving person? A church? st vinnies? I really have no idea where to start looking.

Ideas appreciated

sunshine

Why not sell the car at a cheap price to a deserving person then give the proceeds to your favorite charities.

The deserving person will be happy because they've got a bargain and the charities will be able to help the people they help.

You will be happy because you have made other people happy.

Good on ya. Have a great day : )

I feel you should donate it to the "Boatboy, I'd like a second car" charity.

All donations gratefully received.

PS, I don't really want a second car, hardly drive the one I have.

Dave

Why not sell the car at a cheap price to a deserving person then give the proceeds to your favorite charities.

The deserving person will be happy because they've got a bargain and the charities will be able to help the people they help.

You will be happy because you have made other people happy.

Good on ya. Have a great day : )

This sounds great in theory, where do we sell it cheap? Add in paper, on side of road?? All a hassle at the moment as we are time strapped.

I feel you should donate it to the "Boatboy, I'd like a second car" charity.

All donations gratefully received.

PS, I don't really want a second car, hardly drive the one I have.

Dave

good for a laugh boatboy, but before you added the extra bit, I was going to ask if it would fit on the boat to take OS?

good for a laugh boatboy, but before you added the extra bit, I was going to ask if it would fit on the boat to take OS?

Probably get something like this Perodua Kancil on the front of the boat (we rented this in Langkawi for $12/day), but then no room left for the red nose and clown shoes.:D

Dave

Attachments

• Malaysia 1 103 (Small).jpg
    Malaysia 1 103 (Small).jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 60
Kudos to you Sunshine.

Many years ago I had a friend that absolutely could not afford to buy a car, but they desperately needed one to get a night shift job - you know how the buses in Adelaide like their sleep. I was looking to upgrade anyway so I sold my Ford Laser to them for the princely sum of $1.

Probably could have got a couple grand for it at the time but it had a few things wrong - however the new owner had a mechanically minded dad willing to fix it up which saved me a lot of hassle getting it ready to sell.

I did wonder at the time how many of these $1 sales the Dept of Motor Vehicles actually sees! I'm sure there's quite a few.

What a brilliant feeling being able to help out a friend in genuine need. It's not often you get to do that, people (myself included) just don't like to ask for help. It's the benefit and the curse of our society evolving towards this attitude of individual independence.

There's a funny little ending to the story - a couple of years later that brave little car met a grisly fate on the prongs of a speeding fork lift truck. Nobody was injured fortunately, and they collected well over $3k on the insurance!

PS - if you're looking for somewhere to offload it :

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gold_coast_freecycle/

It'll be a very popular listing. Have people phone or email you with their story and you can choose one.

Last edited:
We gave a great little Corolla to a new Sudanese family a couple of years back - often see it getting around full of gleaming white teeth :D :D :D

Was easy enough to arrange.

Thanks for the link dcarr, I will certainly look into it.

Simon, how did you arrange to give your car away? Any particular agency you used?

If I give the car away do I have to have a blue/pink/green (whatever colour it is in this state) to go with it? Probably more interesting is the car is in Qld, but registered in NSW. Unsure if that is an issue or not.

Sunshine

I gave my car away when I left the UK. Next time I saw it, it was on the news, after being run into some building or other where it burst into flames.

Now I need help finding my sim card. Gave it to my cousin and now I can't find it.

By the way, any visa experts here?

Thanks for the link dcarr, I will certainly look into it.

Simon, how did you arrange to give your car away? Any particular agency you used?

If I give the car away do I have to have a blue/pink/green (whatever colour it is in this state) to go with it? Probably more interesting is the car is in Qld, but registered in NSW. Unsure if that is an issue or not.

Sunshine

The Sudanese come in through Church groups. My sister contacted one of them and I sorted the pink slip and rego transfer etc for them. Was easy enough to do.

DCarr

I'm completely perplexed by your viewpoint that what you did was somehow noble.

Giving away a free car (or even selling one for $1) to someone who can't afford one doesn't sound like doing them a favour in my books, it sounds like great way to keep them poor.

If someone can't afford to buy (even cheap old p.o.s. of) a car, then how on earth can they afford to run one?

Rego / insurance / fuel / repairs / parking...

And if they're so poor that they decide to skimp on the insurance (other than the compulsory greenslip) what happens if they cause an accident and hit something far more expensive?

What you did was not a favour, if nothing else you exposed them to the risk of far greater financial ruin than they obviously were already in.

Bizarre

A_E

what about a friend? you might have a friend that's struggling and really needs a car?

ofcourse, there are probably people who need it even more but you are still doing a good deed.

We bought a brand new stroller for Josh and he didn't like it so rather than selling it, we just gave it to a friend who was in need of an umbrella stroller. They're not struggling but we know that they're good people. They go to church, do a lot of charity work, sponsor 6 children from world vision and just give a lot back to society......I think it's also nice to bless these type of people...who always give but not expect anything in return.

Depends which ego I am alternating for, doesn't it?

A_E

btw. I'm waiting for an intelligent counter-argument (someone / anyone?). Clowns who judge this book by it's cover are a waste of my time.

Back