Advice on giving away our car

DCarr

I'm completely perplexed by your viewpoint that what you did was somehow noble.

Giving away a free car (or even selling one for $1) to someone who can't afford one doesn't sound like doing them a favour in my books, it sounds like great way to keep them poor.

If someone can't afford to buy (even cheap old p.o.s. of) a car, then how on earth can they afford to run one?

Rego / insurance / fuel / repairs / parking...

And if they're so poor that they decide to skimp on the insurance (other than the compulsory greenslip) what happens if they cause an accident and hit something far more expensive?

What you did was not a favour, if nothing else you exposed them to the risk of far greater financial ruin than they obviously were already in.

Bizarre

A_E

Hi Alter Ego

Firstly, it appears that you have joined the forum for a bit of a debate, have you been here before perhaps??

So you reckon if I give my car away I will be keeping somebody poor.

The fact is I knew of people, myself included, who could not get a job as they had no transport. In my case I was lucky enough to have a friend sell me their car so I could take a job which I was offered, and I was able to pay them back within 6 months.

A few years ago, we did the same thing for our nephew, he was able to get a job and payed us back in 12 months.

People need transport for different reasons, sure they might not be able to afford the rego etc, but if the car is free then surely this will be much easier.

Yesterday I heard on the radio that a single mum had her van stolen, and it was the only transport she had to get her disabled child around. Surely donating to somebody less fortunate or in desperate need is helping not hindering.

My 2c worth.

Sunshine

Don't bother Sunshine.

AE probably doesn't donate money to charity either as that just encourages people to be lazy.

AE, come clean, who are you?

Firstly, it appears that you have joined the forum for a bit of a debate, have you been here before perhaps??

I've been here a few times and can legitimately claim over 1000 posts (ps. that doesn't include these 5, either).

So you reckon if I give me car away I will be keeping somebody poor.

Yes, I certainly believe there's a good argument that a free car isn't that free (look seriously at the costs of car ownership and operation) and that it might not always be the great white favour that it at first appears.

My 2c worth.

And it's a very valid point of view.

It's dissapointing that at rather than engage at an intellectual level, that two others chose to ridicule me on the grounds that I'm a newbie.

Thanks for being prepared to engage in some intelligent discussion.

A_E

Btw Sunshine I've always been snide.

Wasting your time? Hahahaha That's a laugh.

If you had any idea how many hundreds of hours I have spent on posts explaining complex concepts to people here, you'd eat those words.

A_E

/me goes back to being a flower on the wall.

AE

I didn't have a go at you because you were a newbie, your alias made it obvious you weren't, as was the length of your post.

I had a go at you as it was just such a contrarian view ~ and I did it tongue in cheek. I could see your point of view, just couldn't be bothered countering it. For what its worth there is some validity to it but it comes across as overbearing!

Edit: BTW I'm the newbie here.

Btw Sunshine I've always been snide.

Wasting your time? Hahahaha That's a laugh.

If you had any idea how many hundreds of hours I have spent on posts explaining complex concepts to people here, you'd eat those words.

A_E

/me goes back to being a flower on the wall.

I don't understand why you need to hide behind an alias.

My post was genuine and I was looking for ideas to help someone. Its much easier I guess to make fun of somebody, or stir up trouble. Personally I can't see how it helps.

Right now I don't care how many people you may have helped in the past, can't see anybody getting anything from this right now.

sunshine

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who intentionally posts messages about sensitive topics constructed to cause controversy in an online community such as an online discussion forum in order to bait users into responding.

I gave my car away when I left the UK. Next time I saw it, it was on the news, after being run into some building or other where it burst into flames.

Now I need help finding my sim card. Gave it to my cousin and now I can't find it.

By the way, any visa experts here?

You know, with comments like this, all you need is the AFP monitoring this site and you have now jumped to the top of the 'Wanted list'

We have a spare car floating around that I had bought for my son, signwritten up with business name on it (great advertising!). Now that he has bought his own HSV Club Sport (courtesy of money made on property investing), this car has been used by: one staff member when her car was off the road being fixed; another friend of other son, who needs car to get to and from work; and it will then be used by son's fiance when she gets her licence. Must admit I'm not being totally altruistic here as the more the car is driven around the more advertising exposure the business is getting!

Good on you Sunshine, I think what you're doing is fabulous, and hope you find a worthy recipient.

We have a spare car floating around that I had bought for my son, signwritten up with business name on it (great advertising!). Now that he has bought his own HSV Club Sport (courtesy of money made on property investing), this car has been used by: one staff member when her car was off the road being fixed; another friend of other son, who needs car to get to and from work; and it will then be used by son's fiance when she gets her licence. Must admit I'm not being totally altruistic here as the more the car is driven around the more advertising exposure the business is getting!

Good on you Sunshine, I think what you're doing is fabulous, and hope you find a worthy recipient.

I have a datsun stanza that I lend to anyone who needs a car it has been through 3-4 people in the last year and its still going strong automatic and all anyone who wants it can come pick it up from weipa???

Hi kingchevy

Do you loan this car out or have you been trying to give it away, and it keeps coming back??

I thought it would be much easier to give away a car than to sell one. I shall keep trying.

Sunshine

Umm, where's the argument that in any way disproves what I said?

I guess there isn't one.

A_E

You really do need to consider that people are intelligent creatures and can take responsibility for their own actions. If he couldn't afford it he could politely decline the offer.

Sunshine credit to you. If you donate to a registered charity you can claim a tax deduction for your good work... not sure about the valuation side of it tho?

Sunshine, anyone who needs a car but can't afford to buy one for market value is probably better off sticking to catching the bus and riding a bike.

Sounds like your deal is going to slug them with at least a $1000 repair bill, and ongoing expensive maintenance. And that's considering you don't have to spend anything on the roadworthy and they don't need new tires soon.

Then they have to find another $550 for rego, and $200 for comprehensive ins.

Then as a 6 cyl, they'll be up for ~13 pre tax cents per km in petrol costs alone.

The answer to AE's question is contained in dcarr's first line

"Many years ago I had a friend that absolutely could not afford to buy a car, but they desperately needed one to get a night shift job"

AE says
"I'm completely perplexed by your viewpoint that what you did was somehow noble.

Giving away a free car (or even selling one for $1) to someone who can't afford one doesn't sound like doing them a favour in my books, it sounds like great way to keep them poor."

The answer is providing the friend with a means to get to a night shift job will improve their financial position (yes most likely a lot more than the cost of running the car).

cheers
the voigtstr.

The answer is providing the friend with a means to get to a night shift job will improve their financial position (yes most likely a lot more than the cost of running the car).

cheers
the voigtstr.

But I think AE and WW are probably thinking if Sunshine is giving free car's away to help someone out, it should at least be a New Prius or similar.

Dave

Did anyone see that Top Gear episode where those three guys bought a car each for under $1000 and traveled from Florida to New Orleans doing some stupid and life endangering things :eek: on the way?

After reaching New Orleans and seeing the scale of devastation first hand, one of them decided to give the car he had bought away. They found a couple who happily took it then not long after, the benefactor received a letter from a lawyer threatening to sue them because the car was not in the condition specified! :rolleyes:

Hi kingchevy

Do you loan this car out or have you been trying to give it away, and it keeps coming back??

I thought it would be much easier to give away a car than to sell one. I shall keep trying.

Sunshine

Its a bit of both no one wants to take the poor old girl and I can't bring myself to take it to the speedway and kill it for good it just seems a waste!!!

Did anyone see that Top Gear episode where those three guys bought a car each for under $1000 and traveled from Florida to New Orleans doing some stupid and life endangering things :eek: on the way?

Funniest thing I've seen on TV for yonks was Top Gear last week where they managed to burn down both their own caravan and the one next door. The whole family were rolling on the floor in tears. :D :D :D

Being known as a bit of a self confessed A/V nerd, I've had so many people asking me if I caught it on DVD and can they have a copy, of course I don't record copyright material ;) .

Classic show but they did come unstuck when Hamster crashed and rolled the rocket car at 300 Miles per hour, yet to be seen here yet but check it out on Youtube. Amazing that he lived.

Back