Advice on our 2014 European holiday

Hi All,

We ( 2 adults and 5 kids ) are planning a European holiday. I know what you are think "are they crazy" well the answer is yes.

We have a wedding in early July in Dublin, so why not tack a holiday onto it :)

Very rough plan:
Fly to Dublin, 4/5 days here.
Fly to Paris, 4/5 days here
Hire a Motor home, drive to Rome, via the coast, take 3/4 days
Rome 3/4 days
Drive Rome to Paris (maybe via Switzerland)
Fly out of Paris / Home.

Now, Motorhomes seem to be our cheapest option for accommodation, plus its out transport too.

I know you wouldn't / couldn't drive one of these things into rome, so we would camp on the outskirts and get public transport for sightseeing.

Yes, you can get 7 berth / 7 seater motorhomes. We, as a family, are quiet happy to rough it a bit.

Would love some feed back from people who have done a similar trip,

Cheers

GG

Do the Swizterland (won't need long though) trip and go to a place called "Grindelwald". It is incredibly beautiful and just one of those amazing places in the world.

Regards

Shahin

Hi
I don't have any advice for you I am just super excited for you and your family!

We will be doing similar but not until 2018.

Exciting :)

Hey GG, When in Dublin, would be a good idea to take a day trip to Howth with the family (a working fishing village). If you want PM me and we could meet for the best pizza or fish n chips in town...I'm there all the time so no trouble at all.

Hi All,

We ( 2 adults and 5 kids ) are planning a European holiday. I know what you are think "are they crazy" well the answer is yes.

We have a wedding in early July in Dublin, so why not tack a holiday onto it :)

Very rough plan:
Fly to Dublin, 4/5 days here.
Fly to Paris, 4/5 days here
Hire a Motor home, drive to Rome, via the coast, take 3/4 days
Rome 3/4 days
Drive Rome to Paris (maybe via Switzerland)
Fly out of Paris / Home.

Now, Motorhomes seem to be our cheapest option for accommodation, plus its out transport too.

I know you wouldn't / couldn't drive one of these things into rome, so we would camp on the outskirts and get public transport for sightseeing.

Yes, you can get 7 berth / 7 seater motorhomes. We, as a family, are quiet happy to rough it a bit.

Would love some feed back from people who have done a similar trip,

Cheers

GG

Hi GG,

Sounds like a great trip - very exciting.

We are going to travel Europe for 3 mths later this year. I'm doing a lot of research at the moment on places to visit in Paris, Switzerland and Italy. I haven't completed Italy yet, but could pm you what I have found for Paris and Switzerland if you like - and happy to provide you with the rest once I finish!

We are going to travel by train - Eurorail passes and stay in hotels/hostels along the way. So I haven't researched hiring cars/campervans etc.

Love Europe - and I am sure you and your family will too!

Regards Jason.

Hi GG

I am french, so if you need anything on Paris or France, you can send questions.

For the general audience, i would not suggest motorhomes in France, rather try to find some nice B&B along the road, not the "autoroute" (highway), but rather used the side road (called "route nationale"). There is also a "chain" called "relais et chateaux". There is plenty of nice places to stay:
http://www.relaischateaux.com/en/

Regards

When do you think is the best time to book airfares online? I used to think that the earlier the better but now understand that this is not the case.

Hi GG

I am french, so if you need anything on Paris or France, you can send questions.

For the general audience, i would not suggest motorhomes in France, rather try to find some nice B&B along the road, not the "autoroute" (highway), but rather used the side road (called "route nationale"). There is also a "chain" called "relais et chateaux". There is plenty of nice places to stay:
http://www.relaischateaux.com/en/

Regards

Hi Moon,

Why no to a motorhome? Too big on smaller french / Italian roads?

GG

Hi

Problm with motorhome is size to access small town street and parking regulation. You will end up in camping which are far from OZ standard, or would have to pay a premium for 4 or 5 * camping lot.

Traveling with children, especially smaller ones, ALWAYS leave spare time (a number of hours) every day or two for 'down time'. Kids need time to play, and to relax, or they go a bit nutty.

Also, kids don't understand jetlag the way adults do, and so you will need a day or two to try to get their body clocks sorted at each end.

Make sure you have lots of stuff for them to do at airports (which are not as exciting as aeroplanes), and try to book your long haul flights as overnight trips. You'll be tired, but your kids will be better. Check before you book flights which airlines have in seat entertainment, and on which legs. You might be surprised has (or doesn't have) what. Consider an around-the-world ticket (check out bestflights.com.au and look for "round-the-world light"), as these can offer surprising value.

Stopevers to break up the flight help kids a lot. A day each way in Asia will be dirt cheap, and make things easier.

Seriously consider trains for some of your intra-Europe trips. Or even flying.

Try to get serviced apartments rather than hotel rooms, because you can self cater some meals, and the kids will have somewhere to play and relax a bit. Accept that when you eat out, you won't always get what you are expecting, and may need to 'mix and match' bits from peoples' meals so the kids get well fed. We do this with my sone and vegetarian wife, so I inevitably end up with some strange combinations on my plate.:)

Make sure your kids drink plenty of water, but make sure the water is clean.

Ignore those people who say trips like these with kids are too hard. They are crazy fun, and you will build memories that will last for the rest of your life. We have taken our son overseas 4 times, including round-the-world and to the east coast of the US and Caribbean.

You ARE going to have a blast!

Ah!!!memories

Hi Gordon Gekko

We did a similar trip with hubby and 3 kids (3,5,7)...we have family in Dublin too...and a wedding to attend in County Tipperary...

We flew AirFrance and stopover in Singapore (where i have family too:p); i think a stopover in Asia is a must to break up the journey esp with very young kids...Singapore is very safe and fun for a short stopover...

AirFrance allowed me to stopover for free in Paris (where i have family too!) ...we opted to bypass London and flew from Paris to Dublin...

My recommendations:
a) 1 stopover in Asia
b) 1 stopover in Paris

When in Paris, go to Disneyland....magical:D my kids still remember the experience many years on..heck! i too was magically transported into La-la land...thought i was Snow White for a short while.....:eek:

If i were you, i would visit fewer countries but do more in depth per country...Paris alone can take up a few weeks:eek: If you have the time, go to Ireland's Giant Causeway....my sons love the legend...and take your boys to watch Irish Hurling...it is only played in Ireland and make rugby and soccer look tame:eek:

Hi VY and Virgo,

Thanks for your great advice. Its great to hear from people that have done the trip.

Fewer countries but more in-depth is great advice.

We have our hearts set on the Motorhome thing, we are a family that enjoy camping, so a 5 star motorhome won't be roughing it :) I just love the idea of driving through a small town and thinking, we'll stay here for the night :)

Our big concern is that one of our boys in Anaphylaxis (Severe allergy to Eggs, Dairy, nuts and Kiwifruit) Living with it day to day has become normal and easy to live with......but out of our comfort zone, it will be tough.

GG

Back