Advice on Sydney Conveyancer

Hello All,

Just wanting to get some suggestions about conveyancers in the city of Sydney. I have been recommended a firm called "dive & kerr", who are charging $1400 for conveyancing on a new townhouse development. I just wanted to know if this was a good price and if anyone had any other recommendations that i could contact for comparison.

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.

Hi Leandro,

I've been using Robyn at Dive & Kerr for over 10 years, she has handled the conveyancing on 8 properties for me and various other matters in that time. I can highly recommend her. The price may be a little more than "conveyancing shops", but you may need to pay a little extra for peace of mind.

cheers,
Tom

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the post, it is encouraging. I was also recommended Robyn, however as she is away this coming week she has left me in the hands of her assistant Rose. Robyn said that she is also very good.

The price seems a bit on the high side.

My solicitor charges $1100 + GST + Disbursements on a purchase.

His details are: McBride, Harle & Martin, Ph: 9570-3344.

Cheers,

Alright, i just called them again and they told me it will be roughly $1400 + GST, they can't give an exact price. Which i am a little annoyed at, as i am sure that unless you are dealing with a business in Australia your supposed to quote all your prices including GST upfront. This now brings the cost to rougly $1540 which seems a bit higher than what other people are reporting.

House_Keeper, have you been happy with the service of your solicitor? And roughly how much have the disbursements been.

Yes, I am happy with the services of my solicitor. He is not just a conveyancer, and can deal with other matters as well.

I can't remember the exact figure for disbursements.

Cheers,

Alright,

Well i just rang "McBride, Harle & Martin" and i spoke to Peter. He has advised that the cost will be around $1500 for the conveyancing. So it seems that both these companies are suggesting similar final prices.

Maybe prices have gone up since the new financial year started?

Hey Ani,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm guessing the higher fee of the other places that have been mentioned is that they are solicitors as well. As there are a few special conditions in my property purchase, i would probably prefer a solicitor.

I was just making sure that i wasn't paying too much :)

That is true Rolf, and it is always a frustrating situation. I tend to make noise if it happens to me though :D

Changing the subject a little here, but another question i need some opinions on. I am planning on purchasing a new townhouse in ermington and thought it would be a good idea to get a building inspection to ensure all has been built to an acceptable standard.

I have been recommended to a certain firm which say they will produce an inside and outside detailed report including pictures for $385 including GST. Does this seem like a fair price for a new townhouse. :confused:

If you want to be prudent get the building report, but if this is brand new I don't know whether it will be worth it. $385 seems decent.

But if you are going to get it before you sign the Contract so if there is any faulty work you can get it fixed before settlement.

Also if you are buying new, you should check for default period in the contract for faulty work.

thanks hiflo,

Yes i was planning on getting it before i sign the contract just to ensure that i don't get any surprises down the track.

I will check on the default period for faulty work.

Leandro said:
Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.
We use a conveyancer in Kings Langley by the name of Mackman Conveyancing. I seem to remember price was about $1000 all up. Speak to Mary or Melissa. Mary works from home and works very hard for her money. We're on number 3 with her and have found her very good so far - even works on Saturday if you're strapped for time.

Hi guys,

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I am now looking for recommendations for a solicitor.

Can anyone add a recommendation to those posted above?

Or have those recommendations posted above changed in the last 18 months?

Also, any guidance of what the current rate is would be appreciaed.

Thanks heaps,
DJ

Hi DJ,

5 years on and I'm still using Robyn at Dive & Kerr, she has handled another 6 or so properties for me since I originally commented on this post. I've never had reason to doubt her ability or feel in anyway that I could be better represented. I don't believe rates have changed much in the last few years.

cheers,
Tom

Back