Advice please! Moving to Canberra

tk79 has it right.

As a single bloke in the early 80s, I hated Canberra. I could not get into the social scene, and I could not meet ladies of the opposite gender. I really really appreciated getting back to Sydney.

However, as a married person with kids, we love Canberra. It's so much easier to get around; there's a lot of sporting possibilities around which don't involve extensive travel; there's wide open spaces and freash air. Even the exclusive schools are so much cheaper than Sydney's, at a comparable standard.

Having said that- I work with a lot of Gen Y people (well, actually, they work for me). The social network is far more extended than in my time. That's due probably to a lot of factors. There's a lot more younger people around. The employment is not centred around the public service, as it used to be- there's a lot more opportunities around- and those opportunities extend to social networks as well as employment. People get jobs at a younger age. And young people use their jobs as a part of their social network. (I have to keep up with the social networks, as I have to know who is no longer dating who, so as to keep employees apart or together).

When I was working in the PS originally (even as a contractor) the bridge between employment and social interaction was not a big one.

Well I've just had to pour boiling water over the car windows this morning...... It's just sooooo cold. And I'm only in Wellington, I'm pretty sure Canberra gets colder. So good luck. I'm so over the cold, and the frost, yuck. Frost this morning too.

QB

Can lead to a costly windscreen repair.:eek:

Can lead to a costly windscreen repair.:eek:
In the UK, there was a product which you used to spray on your car windows. It worked instantly, and did not crack car windscreens. It defrosted some extremely frosty car windows, and made cars far safer to drive.

In a warmer part of the UK, it was colder than some of the colder parts of Oz.

But I've never seen the product here.

I've always poured boiling water on the windscreen, and it's never broken. I don't think cold water works as well. And I like watching all the steam come off the windows! LOL

QB

In the UK, there was a product which you used to spray on your car windows. It worked instantly, and did not crack car windscreens. It defrosted some extremely frosty car windows, and made cars far safer to drive.

probably a mix of water and isopropyl alcohol.. Also heard a stronger mix (maybe straight isopropyl alcohol) in a spray bottle works well.

I just park in the garage... no ice :)

thanks everyone!

Thanks for all your comments! Gosh it sounds like a scary place in the winter. Yesterday we had cold weather here like never before, with the wind chill taking the temperature down to 1C or something like that....OK, that's enough cold weather for me for the next 10 years or so....guess it was good practice.

A friend went to Canberra for a holiday once. I thought that was odd. Why would anyone want to go to a place infested with politicians and not much else?

Hey I wish I could live in different cities for 6 months at a time each - Cairns in winter, then Hobart in the summer, Darwin next winter and so on

Thanks all

Kit

If you think Canberra is 'infested with politicians and not much else', I'd suggest you are not going to enjoy your stay here and I would agree with others in this thread, who despite never having lived here, have said to you: don't do it.

In terms of your friend wanting to holiday here, maybe just maybe :

she wanted to visit all the national institutions eg National Museum of Australia, Australian War Memorial, National Gallery. Questacon, Old/New Parliament House, etc, etc

or

maybe she visited in spring and wanted to see Floriade, one of the biggest floral displays in the country

or maybe she visited in autumn to see the spectacular autumn colours not seen elsewhere in Australia and to watch the Balloon fiesta (the biggest in the southern hemisphere)

or maybe (heaven forbid) she visited in winter and used it as a base to visit the NSW snowfields

or maybe

she visited because it is,despite what some Australians might dislike, the nation's capital

Gazza

BTW I am one of the first ones to bag aspects of Canberra , for example winter is bloody cold but having lived here, Melbourne and overseas, I feel I am entitled to unlike people who have never lived here.

Last edited:
My tips: If parliament is sitting book your accomodation early because it can be literally impossible to get a hotel in sitting weeks (or a taxi for that matter).

If your planning on renting: start looking now, very tight rental market here, I have read reports in the paper of 30+ groups attending open homes

I can 100% confirm this from personal experience.

If, however, you want a 1bedroom apartment in Holt, then let me know..

Canberra isn't as bad as people in this thread say.

It's a clean, well designed, small city (small compared to Syd, Melb, Bris) with fantastic sporting, cultural and educational facilties.

(Yes, I lived there for 3.5 years gazza)

M

Pitt St

Your first post in this thread made a lot of sense ie any place you live, is what you make of it during your time there.

Given you have lived here, you can bag the place till the cows come home if you want to (and I would most probably agree with a lots of those views :) ) because you at least are speaking from experience.

cheers
Gazza

True Gazza

I'm not the most "widely lived" person by any means, but in my experience (4 different places I have lived in Australia that I have since moved on from) I appreciate the places I have lived more, after I no longer live there.

M

Back