advice please?

hey guys, im 21 years old and looking to purchase my first investment property. i have been saving around $500 a week recently and have $15,000 to put towards a property. now i figured with the first home buyers grant of 14 grand i would jump on the opportunity. is it possible for me to move into my investment property for 6 months only, just to receive the first home buyers grant? will i then have troubles change my primary place of residency when i move back home to my parents when the 6 months is over?
Also on approximately $1050 after tax a week with no expenses how much do you think i may be able to borrow , and any suggestions where is a good area in sydney for a long term investment ( i dont plan on ever selling ) .
Should i look into units because they are cheaper, or would i be better off buying a house in a less expensive area so there is no strata etc.

Thanx for your help , gordon

hey guys, im 21 years old and looking to purchase my first investment property. i have been saving around $500 a week recently and have $15,000 to put towards a property. now i figured with the first home buyers grant of 14 grand i would jump on the opportunity.
Well done Gordon - on the savings and the desire to move forward with your investing :)

is it possible for me to move into my investment property for 6 months only, just to receive the first home buyers grant?
Yes

will i then have troubles change my primary place of residency when i move back home to my parents when the 6 months is over?
No

Also on approximately $1050 after tax a week with no expenses how much do you think i may be able to borrow ,
No - probably heaps tho. I'll defer to the MBs on here to let you know.

and any suggestions where is a good area in sydney for a long term investment ( i dont plan on ever selling ) .
Yes, but much of recommendations on where to buy will be determined by how much you can borrow. Let's get that answer first :p and work from there.

Should i look into units because they are cheaper, or would i be better off buying a house in a less expensive area so there is no strata etc.
Generally house & land because land goes up and buildings go down. BUT there are always exceptions to the rule e.g. Units where the land value is still high - like the Eastern Suburbs. HOWEVER, many investors have done well from units and townhouses - so it probably does not make too much difference in the long run.
Buy what you feel comfortable with and what you can reasonably afford and afford to service the debt levels.

Making some very, very broad assumptions (absolutely no debt, not even a credit card, and your net weekly income is $1050), your borrowing capacity is probably around $450k. This assumes you're buying as a first home owner, not an investor.

Your main limitation at this point is your deposit. Just about every lender requires you to show your own savings of 5%. Given you've saved $15k to date, this would suggest a purchase price of $300k (300k x 5% = 15k). The FHOG would make up any additional costs required.

As I mentioned, there are a few assumptions made in this, but you can give me a quick call to clarify the fuzzy bits if you like.

Back