Advice re who to do Depreciation schedule

Hi all

I have 1 house and 2 units in Frankston (VIC) and am after some advice who to get to do depreciation schedules for these houses.

I’ve had a look on the internet, and prices vary enormously, and it’s difficult to tell what the differences are in what’s offered.

It looks as though I should be able to get a reasonable schedule put together for about $300 (including the inspection). Does this sound right?

Can anyone recommend someone good in my area?

Cheers
Jom

Crikey, if you can get a quantity surveyor to inspect a place in Frankston and put together an ATO compliant Depreciation Schedule for $300, grab it now. At that price they will be out of business pretty quickly. Make sure a QS really is inspecting the property. And make sure you will be getting more than a 'reasonable schedule'.

Scott

Selecting Professional Services

Jom

I would have to agree with Scott. $300 to get a QS to inspect + put together a depreciation schedule sounds low.

Like all professional services QS’s work on hourly rates.

So your QS is planning to spend less than 2 hours on your job all up.

As with most professional service groups; you get what you pay for.

We use Washington Brown to do our work (T1300 99 06 12). They are Australia wide, do a good job & it has been worth it.

I always recommend choosing reputable people for professional services.

Look at in terms of: if you were going in for brain surgery, who would you choose?

Why make exceptions for any other parts of your life.

Philip
www.montek.com.au

Last edited:
I can recommend Scott from Depreciator. Do yourself a favour, dont use the $300 mob.....it will be $300 thrown away.

I ended up going with Washington Brown. They seemed quite helpful on the phone and they negotiated the price because i am doing 3 properties at once. I will post my experience once it's all done.

I should say also say Scotts group were very helpful (and friendly) on th phone and I would have happily gone with them also, but in the end WB were a bit cheaper

Cheers
Jom

Thanks all. Feedback is always great. Washington Brown are good. Sometimes we'll be a bit cheaper than them, and sometimes it will be the other way around. Much depends on the spread of people we have.
Scott

QS required

Can anyone tell me how much Scott & Washington brown charge respectively.

I need to get this done in next 2 weeks before tenants move in.

Regards
Manish

We're around the same price. So are BMT. It depends in part on the age of the property and the location.
I don't like to quote prices on a forum because it always ends in tears.
Just give the gang here a call and mention you're from Somersoft. We're always very quiet the first two weeks of July, so feel free to tie whoever you speak to up with loads of questions.
Scott

Probably a silly question, but I thought I would ask anyway.

We are having an IP built, so everything will be brand new. I am assuming you still need to get someone in to do a depriciation schedule.

So my question is, What exactly is a depreciation shedule? What do they look at?

We are having an IP built, so everything will be brand new. I am assuming you still need to get someone in to do a depriciation schedule.

It depends on how much detail is in your contract. Your accountant might be able to take care of it. Otherwise, we could - it's much cheaper with a new build.

So my question is, What exactly is a depreciation shedule? What do they look at?

They're all different. There is no set format. I look at some of them and can't work them out. We got heaps of feedback from accountants when we put ours together. It was our aim to come up with a format that they liked because in the end that benefits you. We also had to come up with something that mums and dads could make sense of. Send me an email and I'll reply with a sample.

[email protected]

Back