Advice: Shopping / Sites in LA

Hi All,

I am off to a conference in LA the week after next and have a day either side of the flights. I have heard that some clothes / runners are pretty good value, certainly with the current exchange rate.

Anyone had any good or bad experiences? L.Aaussie, any malls worth visiting?

I will be staying downtown, which is great for the conference, but looks away from the shopping and main activity centres.

I appreciate any assistance.

Cheers,
Horizon

Horizon

Hubby stays downtown when he is in LA. He usually shops at Pasadena. For shoes, look in the phone book or on the website - wwwdswshoe.com - for DSW stores (there are a number around). The light rail is great for getting around - $5 for an all-day ticket. Golf gear is quite cheap (if you're into that) and they may still have sales for last year's 'models'.

Enjoy your trip!

Cheers
LynnH

Sorry. I'm not a consumer these days.

Having said that, if you want to buy clothes REAL cheap; go to:

"Ross - dress for less"
"Kohls"
"TJ Maxx"

These stores are everywhere.

Downtown is a piece of $hit, but if you must go there, make sure you visit "Olvera Street" for cheap, tacky Mexican stuff and great Mexican food.

For a real good shopping experience that will send you broke; go to Melrose Drive, Beverly Hills.

Forget Hollywood blvd - tacky. Oh alright; go there too, but don't say you weren't warned.

The Virgin Megastore on the cnr of Hollywood Blvd and Highland (I think) is awesome.

Apart from this, I think now that the dollar has tanked and ours is so strong, the difference is bugger-all.

At least the exchange rate is good. The tipping will kill you.

I'll be back in Aus next friday for good! Yay!

I'd checkout 'The Grove' just for the shopping experience. It's not good value shopping, however the Farmers Market and the Wholefoods across the road is worth a look. There is also a Ross (or is it a Target) right nearby too.

Las Vegas is only a 3-4 hour drive away.

I'd highly recommend checking it out for at least a day or two. Some really huge factory outlet type places on the border too. They are really discounted too, not like here. I bought a pair of Kenneth Cole shoes for $120USD, sells in David Jones for $330. Nike Air Max's for $50, $140+ here.

Thanks!

Thank guys for the responses!

LynnH - thanks for the DSW tip and especially the light rail! I was wondering want the best option might be (from someone who has done it)

L.AAussie - Great local knowledge. Unfortunately, accommodation and the 2 main conference venues are downtown. "Olvera Street" looks worth a look and the Virgin Megastore. Tipping... yep, trouble for me each time in the US. Welcome back to Oz next Friday, and dropping the first 3 characters of your member name.

DavidMc - I have experienced Las Vegas on a previous conference and it was a sight all right! I might have to investigate the factory outlet places though, as I have kids sporting clothes on the list, as well as Mrs Horizon and I.

Thanks again guys.

Cheers,
Horizon

Hi L.A Aussie. I'm curious as to whether everybody tips in the US or just visitors.

When we went in 2005 the tipping really bothered me. I didn't mind tipping, but I was worried we were tipping too much, or not enough. I found it hard to find a satisfactory answer from anybody. I was told $1 or $2 for each suitcase carried by say a taxi driver, but felt really cheap and sometimes gave $5.

I felt awkward if we carried our own cases. Should I still tip?

I am sure I gave away more than I needed to so as not to look like a tight ar$e :D.

I found it difficult to read the people's faces. I was searching for disdain at my cheapness or a grin for the windfall. They all just seemed to accept anything. Maybe they were giving me rude signs behind my back, or grinning about my generosity. I shall never know.

I was happy to tip for good food service, but a couple of times when the service was lousy, we didn't tip, and I was embarrassed.

The tipping "thing" was probably the most stressful part of the trip (apart from losing my oldest boy in Santa Monica 30 minutes before we had to get to the airport!!)

What are your thoughts?

I am a resourceful soul, so don't bother running straight to the bell-boy, or the bag-carriers like your typical 200kg Yank does.

I carry my own bags, look for the trolley or whatever. It's exercise and over a year I'll save hundreds.

Bag carriers, valets etc get $1 or $2, or if you feel like being generous offer whatever you like.

Everyone over here 'valets' everything and is happy to pay. Good luck to them, and may they be forever obese and poor.

I refuse to tip at take-out joints or places where you buy over the counter.

The going rate at restaurants etc, is 15%, but for crap service I don't tip anything.

Tipping really pisses me off; if the bloody owners of the companies paid the employees a decent hourly rate instead of extorting the hell out of them and making a squillion, we wouldn't have to tip them so they can exist.

Last edited:
I'd checkout 'The Grove' just for the shopping experience. It's not good value shopping, however the Farmers Market and the Wholefoods across the road is worth a look. There is also a Ross (or is it a Target) right nearby too.

There is a Ross and a Target right across the road, on the cnr of Colgate and 3rd.

The Ross is good value, but it is totally packed with people and unorganised.

Back