Age Article re property spruikers...

Govt calls to stop property spruikers
June 23, 2005 - 2:54PM

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
A parliamentary committee has recommended a national approach to drive property spruikers out of business.

The committee also recommended the courts be given the power to be able to compel spruikers to give refunds to their victims whether or not the victims are party to any legal action.

Chairman of the parliamentary joint committee on corporations and financial services Grant Chapman (LP, SA) said it was no longer appropriate for the government to leave such matters entirely in the hands of the states.

"The evidence gathered and the findings of this inquiry show clearly that this is no longer satisfactory. The aspect relating to property spruikers must be brought under federal jurisdiction," he said.

Senator Chapman said the risk of property investment should be the normal risks associated with the free play of the market.

"The risks should not be ones of being fleeced by a sharp operator with glittering promises and an eye for a fast buck," he said.

Advertisement
AdvertisementA succession of property spruikers operated by conducting seminars promoting investment in property and promising substantial returns to investors.

Radio, internet and newspaper ads placed by one of the better known promoters Henry Kaye outlined the "$1 million Challenge" available at free seminars where Kaye would choose five volunteers and turn them into a property millionaire within six months without using their own money or risking going into debt.

Other claims included that 1,000 people would become property millionaires inside a year after signing up for his seminars.

Court orders were made against Kaye last year stopping him repeating his get-rich-quick claims.

Undercover officers of the Australian Securities and Investments Commission who attended eight property seminars last year estimated they netted their organisers $60 million in fees from punters who paid between $5,000 and $20,000 a head.

Senator Chapman said the committee believed the treasurer should look into providing the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission with cease and desist powers to stop spruikers before they start.

He said they also recommended that there be mandatory disclosure of property valuations by lending institutions and targeted advertising by ASIC to assist consumers identify property spruikers.

"The committee is aware that no regulatory regime, without being tyrannical in nature can completely shut down the use of deceit and manipulation in commercial practice," he said.

"While the committee is confident that the proposed regulatory regime will make life much more difficult for spruikers, it's inevitable that some unscrupulous operators will surface from time to time.

"Even with the new regulatory regime in place, consumers will need to remain alert to look to their own interests and to approach anything which looks too good to be true with a healthy scepticism."

Seems very timely - a day after ASIC finds against Jamie McIntyre and his 21st Century Academy:

The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) has successfully brought legal proceedings against a wealth creation promoter operating nationally.

21st Century Academy Pty Ltd (21st Century Academy) and Mr Jamie McIntyre have been ordered by the Federal Court of Australia to stop or change the way they arrange, promote and hold live seminars in Australia.
Another wealth creation spruiker caught out

Sorry to rehash this.

The problem I have is this : Jamie actually has some good things to say. What he promotes - to me - looks quite reasonable.

Its a pity that he/his company is 'breaching' some rules. I dont get it - why dont they just follow the rules and do it all within approved guidelines?

I mean - Freeman Fox do it properly, Custodian Wealth Builders do it properly - why cant 21stCentury? How hard is it? I'm perplexed. Maybe Jamie should give Pete Spann a call lol.

Heres a link to Jamies eBook - it actually has a ton of great material in it. Of course most of it you have most likely read before, but its a good example of one way of how and what you can do to get financially free. In fact - it contains heaps of great tips - many discussed here on somersoft.

Heres a link - http://www.21stcenturyacademy.com/freebook_download.htm

Have a read and see if it doesnt have something we can all learn from?

PS - im not affiliated, and I dont use their services. I just like to look objectively at any info I can get. I try to be a skeptic, not a cynic.

T.

Tom

The problem is a lot of waht Henry Kay said was good also.

Its just the "get rich quick" promises and half truths that scare the ASIC.

I welcome the propose recommendations. Its time the indusry got cleaned up.

You see... currently anyone can give advice on property investment and they don't need a license of any sort.

As you know the team at Metropole work as licensed estate agents, are members of the REIV and carry professional indemnity insurance - which means your can sue us.

This won't be enough under the proposed changes and I agree with this. Most estate agents know nothing about property investment.

The proposed changes will make everyone dealing ininvestment property go through a new licensing regime and sit special exams.

Again I am all for this .

We have become foundation members of the Property Investment Association of Australia - a group of property professionals commited to ongoing education and ethics in the industry

Michael,

The more of your posts and newsletters I read, the more I realise I am definately going to come see you about a property with "potential" down Melbourne way. I'll lead off with a couple of nice standard IPs on my own in solid growth areas with nothing much to do with them, but then I'll be up for some urban infill Metropole style with ya.

Thanks for the great posts.

Cheers,
Michael.

clean up

I agree with Michael that the industry needs to be cleaned up. For two long marketing companies have been selling off the plan products to their clients and made huge commissions. In many cases the so called sales man have had less knowledge than there clients.

One word of warning, financial planners are licenced, how many people on this forum believe that you always recieve inbiased advise from a planner. You may well find that it will not be that hard for marketing companies to recieve the same licences. Many of the marketing companies already have financial planners

Mainly for Tom,

I think the term is 'Misinformation'. Basically you do get some good, but over all, the deal is negative.

How about I sell you THE BEST property in Sydney for say....$500 Million ! The actually value maybe only $25 Million. Would you be happy to wake up realising you have 'overpaid' that much ? Obviously not.

These creeps are selling information which you can download off the net OR buy off a book shelf for $20-$30 and they are charging (or selling) this for ridiculously high prices (HK courses were up to $16,000 ++AUD for a 5 day course + counceling).

They are taking advantage of gullible and inexperienced people through the use of highly sophisticated psycological sales techniques. Many of these people blow what could potentially be their first home deposit or similar, putting them back further behind both financially and emotionally.

They also recruit their 'consultants' and helpers the same way, convincing them they are involved in propagating wealth to those that would normally not have access to such information. As such most of the 'consultants' don't last very long, and the ones (I've had experience with enough) that do tend to be of questionable and unscrupulous character.

The fact that they may help a very small percentage of participants is no justification of the massive damage they do to the rest.

These operaters should and I hope will be shut down. Maybe you need to go through or witness the full cycle to understand the impact these organization have. A bit like an ambulance paramedic having to pick up the pieces, I have had to assist in some recovery work. Yes - I am very cynical.

Regds
SW

One thing that is sad about this is that the Kayes of this world have blackened the entire market, that no matter what licenses held that if advisors mention that almost anyone can become a millionaire over time by investing, they will be treated as a shyster by the media.

MIT

ps Although it might be good as there will be more bargains to go around! :p

Insurance salesmen used to say you could become a millionaire over time through investing in their products.

Of course they didn't mention trailing commissions, penalties through withdrawal, comparison with other investment options or the effect of inflation on spending power.

I guess one thing that spruikers do is stimulate base emotions like greed or fear in an effort to get the target to suspend his/her judgement. When someone plays on those emotions the inbuilt bulldust detector should flick up a red flag.

Back