Agent commission

If I sell my IP to the current tenant who was placed in the IP by the property manager, will be property manager try to claim the sales commission? All negotiations are between the tenant and I with no involvement whatsoever by the PM.

I have been approached by the tenant directly to buy my IP and I'm seriously considering selling it. Just want to know whether I would save on agent fees or if the PM would try to charge me.

Thanks.

If I sell my IP to the current tenant who was placed in the IP by the property manager, will be property manager try to claim the sales commission? All negotiations are between the tenant and I with no involvement whatsoever by the PM.

I have been approached by the tenant directly to buy my IP and I'm seriously considering selling it. Just want to know whether I would save on agent fees or if the PM would try to charge me.

Thanks.

Your property manager is separate to a sales agent. No stress, it's all good.

Oscar

To sell the property on your behalf, regardless of any Property Management agreement, they would have to be appointed by you in writing to act as sales agents on your behalf. Without that, they have no rights to a commission. I would keep it between just you and the tenant though until it was unconditional.

There has been talk here on SS that some PM agreements contain a clause saying that if a tenant buys the house from the landlord, that they have "introduced" the tenant and there could be a case where they might claim a commission.

I've no idea whether this can be done, has been done, or would be done?

There has been talk here on SS that some PM agreements contain a clause saying that if a tenant buys the house from the landlord, that they have "introduced" the tenant and there could be a case where they might claim a commission.

I've no idea whether this can be done, has been done, or would be done?

That sounds very odd. What is the PM is not a registered agent?

Some agreements do state this, as the "agency" has introduced the tenant to the property.

Just check your agreement - if there is no clause, then they can't ask for a fee, as there is no fee agreement in writing at point of sign up

Thanks for your replies.

I have looked through the Leasing and Managing authority and could not find any clause that says that I have to pay the agent a commission if the buyer was "introduced" by them. Thought I'd ask because I have heard that a few people have been caught by this.

Back