Agent troubles...

I have just put in an offer on a property in Perth, and it's been accepted with a structural condition. The building inspector found structural problems, so I am going to get a quote for fixing that (I don't know how this will work since the tennant is not being friendly with regards to access to property)

But now the valuer needs to go through the property and the tennant is being awkward and not allowing access until such a date that will result in my finance not being approved in the right timeframe...

Any idea on what to do? I'm interested in the house, but not desperate.

Any idea on what to do?

Contact the selling agent. It is up to them to get you, your valuer, and your tradie access so that you can proceed to purchase in a timely manner. If you cannot get access - then tell them the deal is off. The agent has his/her commission riding on the sale - so they should be motivated.

Ultimately, if the tenants are a real problem, then termination (if the lease is expired) might be the only way to go - but again, this is the agent's issue to deal with.

If the tenants are being troublesome already, it may be prudent to ask for vacant possession on your offer, and start with a fresh slate after settlement.

You've got to be really careful depending on the exact wording of the structural condition. The onus might still be on you to move quickly and get something back to the seller otherwise you might end up waiving your right to terminate.

Double check the wording of the clause. If the vendor agent wrote the clause I would bet its something like that.

I normally draft my own clauses.

But now the valuer needs to go through the property and the tennant is being awkward and not allowing access until such a date that will result in my finance not being approved in the right timeframe...

Any idea on what to do? I'm interested in the house, but not desperate.

Issue notice that you will be entering (I assume you can do that like we can in Queensland).

Make sure you give the required notice (24 hours?) and if they don't cooperate, get the agent to let you in.

Back