AirlineRatings.com

With various airline disasters in year 2014 decided I would check out the above which is the worlds only airline product and safety website.

Anyone every use this? here is the link
http://www.airlineratings.com/

We are flying out today with Virgin Australia - safety 7/7, product rating 5.5/7, so product is average, pretty ordinary in terms of food etc. Safety gets thumbs up thankfully.

I don't mind virgin actually, I generally prefer them to qantas domestic and they're a lot more reasonable when it comes to using points. They only wanted 5k more points to go to melbourne on business vs qantas domestic.

Qantas also still has some terribly old planes, my mates came here for Christmas in business class and didn't even have their own tv screens.

Good to know.

We got a Virgin credit card which gives you 5 free flights in Australia, so you buy one get one free.

I don't mind Virgin, I cant remember the last time I flew Quantas.

on the routes I have flown domestically, the qantas planes are clapped out old junk compared to virgin. Apparently they had a major delay in delivery of some planes but I read a couple of days ago that qantas just retired the last of its blahs blahs so maybe they are gettign better. Per-Brisbane on qantas was the worst, such a long flight and a second rate inflight entertainment system, not fun. Though I have to say all I really care about is getting there

Me too, getting there is most important element.

However if I was flying for 24 hours going to USA etc. I would want a decent airline with mod cons and upgrade from my standard economy after my last experience.

I have never flown business class, I often get jealous when I see someone flying business class.

Reminds me of the Seinfeld Comedy series where Elaine tried to sneak into Business Class only be ushered back to economy:p

yeh had 2 x fortunate flight experiences, a friend got us bumped up to business Syd-LAX, that really was awesome. And did First to singapore once, that was surreal, there was no one else in it so felt like the whole plane was ours, then go to get off and there are the thousands jammed into cattle.... seems like a waste really

Virgin credit card free flights

Good to know.

We got a Virgin credit card which gives you 5 free flights in Australia, so you buy one get one free.

I don't mind Virgin, I cant remember the last time I flew Quantas.

I've been thinking of getting one of their credit cards just for the free flights. Do you find you can book the ones you want? And are they at the same price as on the net?

I go back to UK once a year and always fly Singapore. Two keys reasons: superb inflight entertainment that makes 21 hours pass somewhat more quickly (when I was a boy my comics had wonderful stories of rocket planes that would get to Australia in two hours - still waiting!) and for $50 per leg (subject to availability) you can buy an exit row seat. And the service is always excellent. It may be that Etihad/Emirates now better them, but once I've found a supplier that I'm happy with I stick with them.

I'll take the airline that has the best renowned pilot training in the world,
that coupled with a very high standard of maintenance is Qantas.

Me too, getting there is most important element.

However if I was flying for 24 hours going to USA etc. I would want a decent airline with mod cons and upgrade from my standard economy after my last experience.

I have never flown business class, I often get jealous when I see someone flying business class.

Even amongst business class fares there is a great variation. Singapore and Cathay business class cabins are significantly better than Qantas and United. In fact I would go so far as to say that the former are almost equivalent to the first class of the latter. As per other posters, Qantas planes are old and service standards are low, food and entertainment choices are limited. Seat arrangements in Qantas and United don't offer privacy. The business lounges of Singapore and Cathay are also a higher quality.

Unfortunately, when flying to USA from Sydney, the main carriers with the most frequent flight times and routes are qantas, united and virgin. Virgin's business class is better but seat configurations are still crowded. However, if I fly to europe or asia, i will always choose another air line.

The model/age of the plane is the key I think.

I splurged a bucket of points for an upgrade to business DFW - SYD*, on a Qantas A380. The aircraft is brand new, the (business) seats are superb.

After 17 hours of personal service, food cooked to order, fully flat bed, free pjs... I didn't want it to end.

Economy SYD - BKK the next day on old 747 was a big come-down.

* It is presently the longest commercial flight in the world, so seemed to be the best time to spoil myself.

Which one is it? Can't be both.

I would say China is more correct in his assessment because I don't think Qantas pilots receive the best training and their equipment is very old.

Contrary to what the news might say, 2014 has been one of the safest years in the airline industry. Discussion here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/2qpc75/airline_crashes_since_2000contrary_to_what_the/

47EOxC0.png

Even amongst business class fares there is a great variation. Singapore and Cathay business class cabins are significantly better than Qantas and United. In fact I would go so far as to say that the former are almost equivalent to the first class of the latter. As per other posters, Qantas planes are old and service standards are low, food and entertainment choices are limited. Seat arrangements in Qantas and United don't offer privacy. The business lounges of Singapore and Cathay are also a higher quality.

Unfortunately, when flying to USA from Sydney, the main carriers with the most frequent flight times and routes are qantas, united and virgin. Virgin's business class is better but seat configurations are still crowded. However, if I fly to europe or asia, i will always choose another air line.

Interesting about singapore and cathay even
Cathay economic is imo one of the better suppliers

I go back to UK once a year and always fly Singapore. ..... and for $50 per leg (subject to availability) you can buy an exit row seat. And the service is always excellent.

Even amongst business class fares there is a great variation. Singapore and Cathay business class cabins are significantly better than Qantas and United.

I have always been a fan of Singapore airlines. Back in my corporate traveller days I was a star alliance gold member and Singpore business ran rings around Qantas (and United back then was a step up from Qantas too). Ansett was also nicer domestic until they went splat.

I am travelling overseas in a few months and am flying Singapore on the A380. As its personal not work I have decided to fly Economy, but have chosen an exit row seat on the upper deck for $100 return more, well worth the extensive leg room which is is all I care about as I am tall and slim.

I would say China is more correct in his assessment because I don't think Qantas pilots receive the best training and their equipment is very old.

Contrary to what the news might say, 2014 has been one of the safest years in the airline industry. Discussion here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/2qpc75/airline_crashes_since_2000contrary_to_what_the/

47EOxC0.png

Qantas average age is 7.7 years and would be better if they had not taken
full control of Australian air express which has a number of 737 nearing 30 years old and some BAe136
They have replaced over 130 aircraft since approx. 2009

Even amongst business class fares there is a great variation.
There is - a huge variation. In price, seat/space, service and lounges. It depends what you want from business. I just want a seat that's a bit more comfortable (I don't need lie flat), I'm quite happy sleeping in a seat that has a decent more recline than economy. As long as the crew try their best, I don't expect silver service (qantas seem to try their worst). Not really interested in lounges.

It seems you want your *** kissed, while I'm happy with a peck on the cheek.

Most important for me is travel time and stops.

Meh, you're more likely to die from food poisoning or get run over by a car overseas than from a plane crash. Unless it's some no-name third world small plane, I wouldn't be too worried.

As for food and service, I can get that for a tenth the price on arrival. Can't see the point in paying $3k extra for a slightly bigger seat when I could go on a month-long jaunt for that price!

Back