All in one basket

Wow

I’ve just been reading through one of the latest posts I’ve seen on the forum.
I won’t add to it, because it is getting pretty serious stuff.
As some others have said, form your own opinion, and go with it.
My opinion is the people on this forum seem to know what they are doing, and I support them and appreciate the information that is offered in good faith on a public forum.

But, IMHO how easy is it to bundle so many people in to one category.
I have never done a WRAP, but it seems everyone who does, is branded as taking advantage of battlers, because one maybe two well known people were unfortunately taken for a ride.
If I was hit by a car driven by a drunk, do I classify all drinkers as totally irresponsible.
If I had my possessions stolen, do I classify all people of the same country, gender, hair style, etc, as potential thieves.
If one REA tells me hyped up garbage, does that mean they all do ?

When one person rips off another, intentionally, shouldn’t THAT person bear the brunt of the investigators, supporters of correct procedures (Whatever group they are in, or see themselves as?)

If I could do a really good disclaimer here, I guess now is the time, but hey, I am legally entitled to my own opinion
jahn

Wrappers have been given two totally different treatments in shows like "A Current Affair".

On the one hand, there are those who have been praised for letting Aussie Battlers finally achieve the dream of owning their own home- those wonderful white (mc)knights.

On the other hand there are those who mercilessly exploit those poor unfortunates to line their already bulging pockets.

I haven't quite seen the same person been given both treatments, but there is the possibility that it could still happen.

There are several styles of wrapping as well.

One style aims at the lower end of the market, at people who would never be able to afford a place by themselves.

The other style aims at the higher end, at people who are well off, and who might even have a substantial deposit- but who cannot get a loan for various reasons (little credit history, divorced, etc).

The second style would be less badly regarded by the media.

G'day Geoffw,

One style aims at the lower end of the market, at people who would never be able to afford a place by themselves.
Yes, seen this one first hand, (and second hand via ACA on TV).

The other style aims at the higher end, at people who are well off, and who might even have a substantial deposit- but who cannot get a loan for various reasons (little credit history, divorced, etc).
Heard of this - and it can also be lucrative for both sides. Not seen it in action, but am led to believe that it is almost common ....

The second style would be less badly regarded by the media
Why do you think that is, Geoff (or others). Having seen it in action, first hand, and seeing the good that it can do, WHY would the media see the "lower value wrap" in a poorer light?

e.g. in the instances I saw first hand, the potential buyer was told up-front the cost, the extra charges made by the wrapper (and, WHY they were levied) - and, in the end, (in most cases) the buyers were BUYING their own home for the same cost as renting !!!! How could this be seen in a poor light?

On the day I spent with Steve McKnight, I saw the HOPE that was engendered - one couple had rented for 20 years, now the landlord was "selling up" and they didn't want to leave "their home". Enter S McK. Even though they had NO deposit, Steve was able to piece together a deal that was MUTUALLY beneficial. These people were over the moon. They had moved there temporarily 20 years prior (for a 6 month stay) and it had become "their home" and now they didn't want to leave it. And their new "rent" (a little more than previously, as they didn't have a deposit) would actually have them OWNING this property in the future. (That wouldn't have happened if they had just continued renting, now would it?)

Regards,

Hi Brains

I suppose the point I was "trying" to make, came after I read a web site from last nights posts.
Wrappers were wrapped in the same basket by someone who supports integrity and fairness, and yet I have heard of similar stories to that mentioned by Les.
Maybe it's just me rambling (obviously if you didn't get the point),
but it just seems that lately it is very easy to 'tar everyone with the same brush', so to speak. :confused:
jahn

Back