Allowed? for sewage waste to go to the same pipe as waste water?

Hey I'm currently in the process for getting quotes for installing another new toilet...

Just wondering when it comes to connecting pipes... is it allowed for toilet (poo and yellow water) waste pipe to go into the same pipe as waste water? (sink, bathroom sink water?)

:confused::confused:

Is there somewhere I can find guides?

What's the technical terms? like grey water and sewerage? black water?

Can someone please explain it?? Thanks in advance.

I will draw up a quick diagram in microsoft visio.

here is the diagram
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16014949/second toilet/diagrammm 2.png

The toilet bowl on the left is existing one. the type of bowl is shown above it. it goes down into the ground...

the other toilet bowl shown in red is the one i'm thinking of putting in do you think it's a good idea? the placement/location?

the type of bowl is not the same as the existing one. it goes out into the wall. (north wall) not down.

on the outside of the house there is waste water pipe from the upstairs (shown in blue and green) going all the way down into a gutter that is protruding out of the ground cerement (not sure what it's called). is it legal to make a hole and connect the toilet water and make it go down that hole?

any advice is helpful.

the thing circled in blue crayon is what i wanna add into the unused space... I think. not sure about orientation and position... please comment on my idea. thanks!:confused:

diagrammm.png

Last edited:
the type of bowl i wanna install is this one:

the exit pipe doesn't go down into the ground... instead it goes out the back.

looks similar to this one.

Elongated%2B1.6%2BGPF%2BElongated%2BToilet%2BBowl%2BOnly.jpg

Hey I'm currently in the process for getting quotes for installing another new toilet...

Just wondering when it comes to connecting pipes... is it allowed for toilet (poo and yellow water) waste pipe to go into the same pipe as waste water? (sink, bathroom sink water?)

:confused::confused:

Is there somewhere I can find guides?

What's the technical terms? like grey water and sewerage? black water?

Can someone please explain it?? Thanks in advance.

I will draw up a quick diagram in microsoft visio.

here is the diagram
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16014949/second toilet/diagrammm 2.png

The toilet bowl on the left is existing one. the type of bowl is shown above it. it goes down into the ground...

the other toilet bowl shown in red is the one i'm thinking of putting in do you think it's a good idea? the placement/location?

the type of bowl is not the same as the existing one. it goes out into the wall. (north wall) not down.

on the outside of the house there is waste water pipe from the upstairs (shown in blue and green) going all the way down into a gutter that is protruding out of the ground cerement (not sure what it's called). is it legal to make a hole and connect the toilet water and make it go down that hole?

any advice is helpful.

the thing circled in blue crayon is what i wanna add into the unused space... I think. not sure about orientation and position... please comment on my idea. thanks!:confused:

diagrammm.png

You cant do this yourself it is illegal. If you hook into the wrong pipe you will send raw sewerage into the stormwater drains.
Use a plumber. They will answer all your questions.

The Grey water and 'Black water' (from the toilet can go to the same waste pipes)

Not sure what the situation is in Queensland but in Vic you are required to have a plumber make the alterations.

As far as your plan for the toilet you would be better with an outward opening toilet door. Much safer and easier.

Waste water (sink/taps etc) and toilet go into sewer unless you have a grey/black water system.

thanks guys. that answers one question.

I'm like 80% sure that the blue pipe is from the upstairs sink not storm water.

so really sewage has everything like chemicals and everything. i use to think sewage goes somewhere special so it can be used for farming or something... like people pay money to buy it.

I actually prefer the door the way it is, you can jam your foot against the door to stop people accidentally coming in... otherwise make sure you put a lock on the door I guess.

One of the real safety considerations with toilets are people are feeling unwell, they then go to the toilet and pass out. If they fall against an inward opening door . . . How do you get them out, without demolishing the door?

Outward opening door with a proper privacy lock (which can be opened from outside with a screwdriver) is a much safer option.

Is that the actual layout you're considering? I know that if I walked in to buy a house that had a toilet sitting in the corner of a huge room, I'd go "wow, that's weird!"

If that is your layout, what are the rooms just off the bottom?

What's the motivation for moving the toilet?

Last edited:
Is that the actual layout you're considering? I know that if I walked in to buy a house that had a toilet sitting in the corner of a huge room, I'd go "wow, that's weird!"

If that is your layout, what are the rooms just off the bottom?

What's the motivation for moving the toilet?

read the OP...

it's not a room... the thin line is just the space border line not a wall...

thick wall is external wall and thin walls are internal walls...

not moving the toilet.

the TP dispenser would be more forward than in the diagram. hate reaching back for TP...

read the OP...

it's not a room... the thin line is just the space border line not a wall...

thick wall is external wall and thin walls are internal walls...

not moving the toilet.

the TP dispenser would be more forward than in the diagram. hate reaching back for TP...
OK, you're talking about an extra toilet - got it.

If you can, I'd align the cubicle along the northern wall, instead of perpendicular to it. That way the remnant of that unused space may still be usable as a study nook or something like that, whereas if you install the new cubicle arranged north-south, you're going to be left with a narrow unusable space that's not much use for anything.

e.g. If the lime green is a desk, it may look like this:

somersoftlayout_cr_zps0d3c6147.jpg

Some terminology that may help you: you have an S-trap toilet (drains vertically down through floor) and want to put in a new P-trap toilet (goes through wall horizontally and joins the vertical drain outside). I don't know if you can get a P-trap to turn horizontally - if you wanted to orientate as I've suggested - but I imagine it's doable.

You will need to have ventilation, and whether ventilation to the roof is acceptable, or you need to have a window, will depend on a bunch of things I don't know enough about. Some of this may help you find out what you need to know: http://www.justventilation.com.au/pages/Certification.html

Back